~*The Official Thread of Hero Cop Valor and Bravery*~

18 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Was this one of those "tactical crime suppression units"? 

Yes - it was essentially a variation of the LAPD's infamous CRASH unit.

The SCORPION unit, which stands for Street Crimes Operation to Restore Peace in Our Neighborhoods, was announced in October 2021 and launched a month later. It encompasses 40 officers split into four teams who patrol "high crime hotspots" throughout the city, the police department announced in November 2021.

MPD Assistant Chief Sean Jones told reporters during the launch that SCORPION officers would focus on auto thefts, gang-related crimes and drug-related crimes.

19 minutes ago, unogueen said:

Why was he accosted in the first place? What events followed?

He was stopped for allegedly driving recklessly.  He was then pulled from his car, fled on foot when he realized that his life was in danger, and then was beaten to death when the cops caught up to him.

And about that initial traffic stop?  The Memphis police department can't corroborate its validity in the first place.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Almost directly quoting Fox News here ^^

this was their line days ago when it was announced the videos would be released

Fox News is basically parody now. Looking at the video, there’s no fucking reason five cops needed to be beating on that kid like that unless that kid was able to shoot lightening bolts out of his hand like was an X-Men.

Can someone answer my question?

Why does footage like this need to be released to the public? It can all be handled in a courtroom. Releasing it publicly just causes somany fuckin issues! Wade just flat out ignored me and somebody else said I wouldn't believe it happened.

Wtf...:|

My parents and I were completely dumbfounded when the national news kept saying the footage would be released at 7pm eastern time.

48 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Why does footage like this need to be released to the public? It can all be handled in a courtroom. Releasing it publicly just causes somany fuckin issues! Wade just flat out ignored me and somebody else said I wouldn't believe it happened.

My parents and I were completely dumbfounded when the national news kept saying the footage would be released at 7pm eastern time.

I have no answer to the question other than it could very well be departmental policy when a situation involves officer-related death or injury.

33 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Why does footage like this need to be released to the public?

It would likely get released at sometime due to public outcry , withholding it make the city look like they are hiding something. 

33 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Releasing it publicly just causes somany fuckin issues

What issues?

34 minutes ago, best3444 said:

somebody else said I wouldn't believe it happened.

There is a not so insignificant amount of people that cant or wont believe without evidence . Anytime someone brings up this young mans death when discussing police brutality without evidence  "well we dont know what really happened"," maybe the police were defending themselves". In this case the video is so reprehensible
it removes all doubt about what happen.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

What are the "so many fuckin issues"?

I'm firmly on the opposite side from you. Media in this nation is so sensitive to disturbing footage, we avoid it and the media is often hesitant to share it. As a result, we, as a nation, have grown to inexcusably accept the violence around us simply by ignoring it exists. If people get mad because agents of the state murdered a civilian, yeah, that seems like a perfectly rational thing to get angry about. If people get horrified because the media shared footage of murdered children from a school shooting, yeah, people should be horrified. The fact that we aren't angry enough about police brutality and not horrified enough about school shootings means the move to self censor more graphic footage has done us all a great disservice.

• Like 1

Different states have different public release laws. Wisconsin puts out absolutely everything super quick (basically every semi interesting incident from DUI to shootings), while North Carolina requires a court order. 

This is the PD getting ahead of a trial and cutting the officers loose. There’s a better than average chance that if there were no video or if there was a video that would never see the light of day, these officers would still be on the streets. 

sometimes the trite sayings like “sunlight is the best disinfectant” is absolutely true

• True 1

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

What are the "so many fuckin issues"?

I'm firmly on the opposite side from you. Media in this nation is so sensitive to disturbing footage, we avoid it and the media is often hesitant to share it. As a result, we, as a nation, have grown to inexcusably accept the violence around us simply by ignoring it exists. If people get mad because agents of the state murdered a civilian, yeah, that seems like a perfectly rational thing to get angry about. If people get horrified because the media shared footage of murdered children from a school shooting, yeah, people should be horrified. The fact that we aren't angry enough about police brutality and not horrified enough about school shootings means the move to self censor more graphic footage has done us all a great disservice.

It's a double edged sword to produce 'veracity' for a crowd that exercises a very dangerous and wilful ignorance, while promoting the trauma that so many have faced relentlessly for centuries.

In practice I find very little difference from the times lynchings were public affairs.

27 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Thanks for the responses. If you don't know what issues could stem from releasing footage like this are then ok.

Why don’t you just tell us what these issues are in your mind, as opposed to making people guess at what you are thinking?

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Why don’t you just tell us what these issues are in your mind, as opposed to making people guess at what you are thinking?

Rioting was the main issue I was concerned about last night. Especially at 7pm on a Friday night. You made a good point above and I agree that maybe we should see this stuff. Just really sad and disgusting but such is life I guess.

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Rioting was the main issue I was concerned about last night. Especially at 7pm on a Friday night. You made a good point above and I agree that maybe we should see this stuff. Just really sad and disgusting but such is life I guess.

I don’t have an extensive catalog of all these situations, but my general perception has been releasing the videos + charging the criminals = minimal rioting. Hiding the truth and not holding the criminals responsible is more likely to result in rioting.

I do generally find TV media coverage of these things pretty obviously geared towards encouraging rioting as that keeps eyeballs on screen. Kinda like the creepy way TV news coverage gets seemingly excited about hurricanes as they come in to make landfall. A lot of folks in that business are salivating over the coverage and ratings 😂

Releasing Friday at 7 is an attempt to suppress information because people have better shit to do frosty night than follow the news