~*The Official Thread of Hero Cop Valor and Bravery*~

I just don’t understand it. Man… I’m just completely dumbfounded. I watched the video thinking there had to be more to this…right?? But no, there was not. This was murder. I’m completely at a loss for words. The guy was detained and under control and they continued to assault him. I don’t even think they had probable cause to even stop him in the first place. All 5 of these guys should never step foot on public soil again…ever. This looked like an organized assassination. 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

This is why the video gets released

Not only do the police routinely give false narratives about use of force incidents, the media also treats those narratives we default true even if they sneak in words like “allege” to make them seem objective.

37 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Not only do the police routinely give false narratives about use of force incidents, the media also treats those narratives we default true even if they sneak in words like “allege” to make them seem objective.

The media in this country, generally, are deferential to authority and not much more than glorified stenographers 

• True 1

10 minutes ago, CayceG said:

He was not fired. He was relieved of duty. Apparently there's a difference. 

I guess the article I read misunderstood the situation. It sounds like he simply has been removed from patrol work.

230131-Cerelyn-Davis-ew-1156a-a08f53.jpg
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Critics say Cerelyn "C.J." Davis should have known the risks of specialized street forces before she created the Scorpion unit, whose members were charged in Tyre Nichols’ fatal beating.

As she rose through the ranks of the Atlanta Police Department, Cerelyn “C.J.” Davis spent nearly 18 months overseeing a hyper-aggressive street crime unit, named Red Dog, that was ultimately disbanded following a public backlash and a series of lawsuits.

Now, in the wake of Tyre Nichols’ death, Davis faces questions over why she would launch a similar team in Memphis, Tennessee — called the Scorpion unit — shortly after she arrived to lead the city’s police force in 2021. 

“If anyone in Memphis had checked with anyone from the world of police oversight in Atlanta, they would have learned that creating a Red Dog-like squad using Red Dog-like tactics was inevitably going to result in police misconduct and violence,” said Dan Grossman, an Atlanta lawyer who filed several successful lawsuits on behalf of victims alleging they were roughed up by Red Dog officers.

The unit had about 30 officers and a mission to flood areas of high crime in Atlanta with overwhelming force. Patrolling in groups of four or five, the officers were notorious for ambushing young men, yanking down their pants in public and performing full-body cavity searches in a hunt for drugs and an attempt to spread fear, according to a review of lawsuits, police officer affidavits and civilian review board memos, as well as interviews with plaintiffs’ lawyers and former Atlanta police oversight officials. 

“Members of Red Dog were told to just get the job done, by whatever means,” Stalone Davis, who joined the Red Dog unit around 2007, said in a 2012 court affidavit. He declined to comment for this article.

Over the years, Atlanta settled at least 10 lawsuits related to Red Dog unit misconduct, costing taxpayers more than $2 million in settlements, according to an NBC News review. 

None of the lawsuits alleged misconduct that occurred during the time C.J. Davis oversaw the unit. Some longtime Atlanta residents said the Red Dog officers were using unrestrained tactics before, during and after her tenure.

“There was never a time that the Red Dog didn’t operate the way the Red Dog have always operated,” said Gerald Griggs, a civil rights attorney raised in Atlanta who is now the president of the NAACP’s Atlanta chapter. 

• Guillotine 1

Take the case of NYPD officers playing the song "Ni**er Love a Watermelon" through their patrol car's loudspeakers, after a group of cops beat protesters with batons in Crown Heights on June 3, 2020. The CCRB confirmed through video and eyewitness accounts that the incident happened, and was able to pinpoint the NYPD vehicle, and the cops assigned to it. "The Board determined that both officers made untruthful statements regarding the whereabouts of the vehicle but was unable to identify the officers involved in this incident because NYPD records did not accurately reflect which officers made use of the vehicle," the report states.

49984778757_0c67354188_k.jpg
HELLGATENYC.COM

A 590-page CCRB report shows many police are evading consequences for what they did during the protests

• Guillotine 3

The alleged fraud was discovered after Webster was accused of sexual misconduct at Whole Foods.

NYPICHPDPICT000006510865.jpg?quality=75&
NYPOST.COM

A high-ranking police union official was caught working at a DC-area Whole Foods while on the department's clock — after someone at the store accused him of sexual misconduct.

• Guillotine 1

mitchell-featured.png?strip=1&w=640
WWW.CBS42.COM

WALKER COUNTY, Ala. (WIAT) – The mother of Anthony “Tony” Mitchell, a Walker County man who died in police custody in January, has filed a federal lawsuit against multiple jail officials, including…
  • Police freeze man to death in jail freezer
  • Police lie about it
  • Officer leaks surveillance footage to show truth, is fired

Not all cops

• Guillotine 1

This is really fucked up. I can't find a good news article about it, seems like the video was just released.but the incident happened last March. From what I could gather Tyler Canaris was walking to work when the officer stopped him. He fit the description of someone breaking into cars so the logical reaction was for the officer to suplex him backwards on to his head. Happens a little over minute into the video. Severe concussion, broken collar bone, and 9 days in the hospital.

• Guillotine 2

https://richmond.com/news/state-and-regional/crime-and-courts/document-shows-pepper-spray-violations-by-richmond-police-during-20-protests/article_91cb3f52-b143-11ed-b793-27dbe2a13d08.html

shocker I know. From Reddit:

a few paragraphs that stood out for me:

Richmond police struggled to adhere to proper policy during the protests, the report showed, and it contains an admission by police of their mistakes that would generally be kept secret from the public. Officers used pepper spray foggers directly on protesters' faces, when policy directed use of the foggers to be at a person's lower body or over the heads of a crowd.

One Richmond officer described the evening of May 31 as "un-trained people giving out equipment to un-trained people," according to the report, and said no one in his unit received training with the foggers but that they were "handed out like 'pez candy.'"

...One officer under investigation for spraying a woman in the face with a fogger resigned and immediately took a job with Virginia State Police, later opting not to make any statement to Richmond police internal affairs investigators, according to the report. In January 2021 he and another trooper fatally shot an 18-year-old man after a chase on Interstate 64 in Goochland County.

Layton said in his deposition that there were "so many" riots in Richmond in summer 2020 but he didn't recall the reason why. Asked if he was curious about the reasons, he replied, "Not really."

• Guillotine 1

On 8/25/2022 at 2:31 AM, Keyser_Soze said:
Vanessa-Bryant-Wins-Kobe-Death-Photo-Law
PEOPLE.COM

The emotional trial, which began on August 10, has revealed gut-wrenching details about the aftermath of the January 2020 helicopter crash that killed NBA legend Kobe Bryant and 13-year-old Gianna Bryant

vanessa-kobe-bryant-ap-lv-230228_1677634
ABCNEWS.GO.COM

Vanessa Bryant has settled the remaining parts of her lawsuit against Los Angeles County.

paterson-shooting-w-victim-inset.jpg?qua
WWW.NBCNEWYORK.COM

Police in Paterson, New Jersey, shot and killed a man inside an apartment building after officers were called to the scene — and the person killed was a violence intervention activist...

Does this mean I'm a CEB investigator?

Wonder if it gets turned into a big deal.

Mentally disturbed man wants to light apartment building on fire is sus. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I question PPD skills of de-escalation.

3 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:
paterson-shooting-w-victim-inset.jpg?qua
WWW.NBCNEWYORK.COM

Police in Paterson, New Jersey, shot and killed a man inside an apartment building after officers were called to the scene — and the person killed was a violence intervention activist...

Does this mean I'm a CEB investigator?

Wonder if it gets turned into a big deal.

Mentally disturbed man wants to light apartment building on fire is sus. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I question PPD skills of de-escalation.

The entire story is weird. Police were called to check on someone that was "mentally disturbed" and the guy didn't want to talk to police so he barricaded himself in...whose apartment? If it was someone else's, I'd understand why the police would work so long to get into the unit. If it was his own, he should be left alone. Then police figured it was safe to enter the apartment, find him with a knife, let him be, but then shoot him when he tried to set the place on fire?

So much of that doesn't make a ton of sense and I'm not exactly a fan of giving police the benefit of the doubt when dealing with people going through a mental crisis. However, is probably too early to know what really went on...though we might also never actually learn if there's no body cam footage.

• Like 1

In another case of social media sucks.

FACEBOOK-POLICE-BIAS-4x3-1.png?w=640
FIVETHIRTYEIGHT.COM

There was nothing overtly biased about the way the Wilkes-Barre Township Police Department described a mugging on its Facebook page in February 2019. The first …

Americans over-estimate how much crime is committed by black Americans. In what, I'm sure, is unrelated news; police disproportionally report on crimes committed by black Americans.

Spoiler

They found that police Facebook pages consistently overreport crimes by Black suspects relative to local arrests rates: Between 2010 and 2019, Black suspects were described in 32 percent of posts but represented just 20 percent of arrestees. It mirrors statistics that show white Americans overestimate the percentage of crimes committed by Black Americans by as much 20 to 30 percent compared to the actual figures (numbers that, themselves, already reflect a bias in who gets arrested versus who actually commits crimes). 

• Guillotine 3