WB announces new LOTR movie with no script or plot: LOTR: The Hunt for Gollum (2026)

VARIETY.COM

Warner Bros. will release its first new 'Lord of the Rings' movie in 2026. Andy Serkis will direct 'The Hunt for Gollum,' while Peter Jackson produces.

I have absolutely no faith in this. I love Serkis, but who is asking for this movie? Plot is likely young Aragorn and Gandalf search for Gollum.

I have no other place to put this so whatever.

Every now and then I think about the XP glitches Gandalf must have exploited between The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring. In The Hobbit he gets run up a tree by some fucking scrubs, lights some pinecones on fire, and when that doesn't work, his next best idea is lighting himself on fire and killing himself. Then in Fellowship he solos a balrog down, through, and on top of a mountain, dies, then comes back to life. What a world.

• Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

clfebfto6000lmg08ytp6kwlx_1

Plot writes itself IMO

Last week I was walking my dog and it smelled like death. A little bit later i saw a bunch of crows swarming, they flew away as i got closer along my path. There was a dead young opossum on someone's yard. It was strange because it was lying perfectly parallel to the sidewalk. Then I looked up and there was a fat grey cat sitting on the porch 3 feet away. He looked like a fat king and was giving me some real bitch face. It's like he killed it and was watching it's body be mutilated by crows for entertainment and i just ruined the show.

I was like u crazy bro and kept walking.

100% true story.

51 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Last week I was walking my dog and it smelled like death. A little bit later i saw a bunch of crows swarming, they flew away as i got closer along my path. There was a dead young opossum on someone's yard. It was strange because it was lying perfectly parallel to the sidewalk. Then I looked up and there was a fat grey cat sitting on the porch 3 feet away. He looked like a fat king and was giving me some real bitch face. It's like he killed it and was watching it's body be mutilated by crows for entertainment and i just ruined the show.

I was like u crazy bro and kept walking.

100% true story.

You're lucky that cat let you go.

Harrowing story.

• True 1

Whenever we see one of these projects come up, it makes me think of Blade Runner 2049. My understanding is that the story and an initial script existed for a long time, and readers of even those early scripts saw the clear potential in it. Like this new LOTR film, 2049 was still a project that existed because someone bought the IP rights and wanted to exploit them, but that specific movie was made because there was a good idea and a good story ready to be told. The end result is that we actually got a worthy addition to a classic film. These new LOTR movies don't seem to have that same seed of a great idea that has found it's time.

The Embracer Group took this opportunity to kindly remind us that they're the actual owners of the IP:

EMBRACER.COM

Embracer Group AB (”Embracer”), through its wholly-owned subsidiary Middle-earth-Enterprises confirms today that Warner Bros. Pictures and New Line Cinema, alongside the Oscar-winning team behind the nearly $6 billion blockbuster The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens are reuniting to produce two new films from Tolkien’s Middle-earth. […]

"We're delighted that our partnership with Warner Bros. Pictures and New Line Cinema has allowed for such a creative collaboration. Continuing to explore the fertile world of Middle-earth under the stewardship of the incomparable Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens & team is hugely exciting for all parties and most importantly, for the fans who we believe will be elated with the news. Middle-earth Enterprises is committed to creating an environment where the world's leading artists can create and thrive across a diverse form of media, and there can be no greater honor than continuing to explore the cinematic landscape of Middle-earth with such exceptional talent", says Lee Guinchard, CEO Freemode and President of Middle-earth Enterprises.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The Embracer Group took this opportunity to kindly remind us that they're the actual owners of the IP:

So Lara Croft is going to show up in this movie because she's friends of Gollum?

So the movie is about that period in the first movie where Gandalf leaves the Shire to look for Gollum but the orcs get to him first and torture him to say “Shire” and “Baggins”?

9 hours ago, MarSolo said:

So the movie is about that period in the first movie where Gandalf leaves the Shire to look for Gollum but the orcs get to him first and torture him to say “Shire” and “Baggins”?

In the movies it flies by, seems like Gandalf went to the library and back. In the books he’s gone for 17 years so I guess he has the time :p

• Haha 1