Bees are back, baby!

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

A gold-standard source shows a stunning boom in U.S. honeybee populations. Could that possibly be right? A Department of Data analysis found two possible explanations, one more surprising than the other.

After almost two decades of relentless colony collapse coverage and years of grieving suspiciously clean windshields, we were stunned to run the numbers on the new Census of Agriculture (otherwise known as that wonderful time every five years where the government counts all the llamas): America's honeybee population has rocketed to an all-time high.

We've added almost a million bee colonies in the past five years. We now have 3.8 million, the census shows. Since 2007, the first census after alarming bee die-offs began in 2006, the honeybee has been the fastest-growing livestock segment in the country! And that doesn't count feral honeybees, which may outnumber their captive cousins several times over.

Insect populations are still probably only 10% of what they were 50 years ago, but at least it's one success story.

21 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

Actually several wasp species aren't very aggressive and very good to have around. 

If they're going under my radar because they're not assholes, then naturally I wouldn't seek them out in the purge :p 

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Insect populations are still probably only 10% of what they were 50 years ago, but at least it's one success story.

When Go outside at night in the summer and I’ll notice that the number of fireflies is not nearly what I remember when I was a kid. Even in remote WVa it seems like there’s simply not that many at all when I distinctly remember catching so many growing up (and releasing them after)

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

When Go outside at night in the summer and I’ll notice that the number of fireflies is not nearly what I remember when I was a kid. Even in remote WVa it seems like there’s simply not that many at all when I distinctly remember catching so many growing up (and releasing them after)

Hell even Junebugs aren't around any more. I remember they used to fly into the house during the summer. Now you never see them.

24 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Apparently it used to basically be guaranteed that your windshield would be caked in splattes bugs after a highway drive. 

57 minutes ago, Jason said:

Apparently it used to basically be guaranteed that your windshield would be caked in splattes bugs after a highway drive. 

Shit, this was typical in Michigan up until the 2010s.

4 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

This is my memory/perception as well.

8 hours ago, DPCyric said:

Actually several wasp species aren't very aggressive and very good to have around. 

Like snakes, they all must die if given the chance to kill them. And spiders. 

On 4/1/2024 at 11:13 AM, CitizenVectron said:
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

A gold-standard source shows a stunning boom in U.S. honeybee populations. Could that possibly be right? A Department of Data analysis found two possible explanations, one more surprising than the other.

I think people would find more success stories if they didn't let their pessimism pollinate and actually followed the buzz from these stories the whole way through instead of bumbling around about how nothing gets done.

• Hype 1

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

I think people would find more success stories if they didn't let their pessimism pollinate and actually followed the buzz from these stories the whole way through instead of bumbling around about how nothing gets done.

It's posts like these that keep people swarming to these threads.