Twisters, "A Current-Day Chapter of the 1996 Blockbuster, Twister." | Starring Daisy Edgar-Jones and Glen Powell | In Theaters July 19

18 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It seems confusing is it a remake or sequel? And then they are remaking it with a less good cast. Ok... 🤪

Originally heard that one of the main characters would be the daughter of Paxton/Hunt. Now following in their parents pursuit of learning more about twisters. I believe they were original going to kill them off from a Twister (or at least Paxton) and basically replay Hunt’s story from the first. Although I believe that has been changed a little bit now after a rewrite or 2.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, ort said:

Can't wait for Twister3, Twister Resurrection and Twister vs Volcano.

Then decades later Zephyrus, Twister Covenant, with Twister Remus, and a Twister series on FX by Noah Hawley. 

• Halal 1

Between this, Beetlejuice 2, The Fall Guy, Beverly Hills Cop, and Gladiator II this really feels like the year of the random, mad lib sequel/reboot....

"Yeah see, we'll put Ryan Gosling in a loose reboot of a 40 year old, C+ at best Lee Majors TV show......"

That all said, as someone who lives in Tornado Alley, lived through a pretty bad one as a kid, and has had a fascination with them all my life Twister has always been a guilty pleasure personal favorite of mine so I will definitely give this one a chance.

18 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Does the special effects blockbuster even exist as a genre anymore?  Twister is a movie made for an era that doesn’t exist anymore, I don’t see why you’d bother to recreate it.

Let’s bring ‘em all back! More disaster movies! Dante’s Peak 2: Still Peaking, Deeper Impact, The Day After The Day After Tomorrow

On 5/12/2024 at 7:22 AM, TheLeon said:

Let’s bring ‘em all back! More disaster movies! Dante’s Peak 2: Still Peaking, Deeper Impact, The Day After The Day After Tomorrow

Armageddon Outta Here.

A sequel that shows how Bruce Willis actually escaped the asteroid....

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

I would say this is about as good as you could hope for a movie called Twisters released in the year of our Lord 2024. It’s fun, dumb, and thrilling in almost equal parts. I had a good time. 

• Like 2
  • Halal 1

I’m hoping to catch this on Tuesday during cheapie night. Try and sand a D-Box seat in the on.y Atmos theatre near me. Hopefully the first movies 4K disc drops in price, cause that remixed Atmos track is said to be insanely good

Saw this yesterday in 4-D. My nephew (7 years old) is going through a phase where he wants to be a meteorologist and is obssessed with natural disasters (kids right?) Any way he, my sister and her other son are all in town visiting my mom and I've been here since last month. His birthday was earlier this month so I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone and spend some quality time with him, his brother and one of my other nephews and I took them to NY to see Twister in 4-D. I had just seen my first 4-D movie two weeks ago (A Quiet Place Day One) and figured if ever there was another movie to see in 4-D it would be this one. The movie was ok but it had much less of an impact than the first one because at the time, digital effects were still relatively new a Twister was one of the early movies to get them right. Since then we've seen 1000's of movies with these types of effects so the novelty has worn off. Watching it in 4_D with all of the wind and water and rumble effects in the seats definitely helps and my little nephew enjoyed it despite being nervous initially. He thought the tornados were actually in the theater when he saw some our napkins get caught in the "wind". Movie wasn't amazing or anything but it was decent. See it in 4-D if you can... or a theater with a REALLY good sound system.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Saw this yesterday in 4-D. My nephew (7 years old) is going through a phase where he wants to be a meteorologist and is obssessed with natural disasters (kids right?) Any way he, my sister and her other son are all in town visiting my mom and I've been here since last month. His birthday was earlier this month so I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone and spend some quality time with him, his brother and one of my other nephews and I took them to NY to see Twister in 4-D. I had just seen my first 4-D movie two weeks ago (A Quiet Place Day One) and figured if ever there was another movie to see in 4-D it would be this one. The movie was ok but it had much less of an impact than the first one because at the time, digital effects were still relatively new a Twister was one of the early movies to get them right. Since then we've seen 1000's of movies with these types of effects so the novelty has worn off. Watching it in 4_D with all of the wind and water and rumble effects in the seats definitely helps and my little nephew enjoyed it despite being nervous initially. He thought the tornados were actually in the theater when he saw some our napkins get caught in the "wind". Movie wasn't amazing or anything but it was decent. See it in 4-D if you can... or a theater with a REALLY good sound system.

That sounds pretty cool actually!

I still remember seeing Twister in theater:daydream: Like @skillzdadirecta mentioned, the tornadoes and digital effects looked great at the time. I’ve been really excited to see the new movie, even going out of my way to avoid trailers. But I know it’s just not going to feel the same with how it looks. We’re drowning in cgi/special effects that it’s going to be hard to feel that same magic.

• Halal 1

I got interviewed by Indie Wire for an article that should release Monday about the film. Short version: this movie is making tons of money in the middle of the country, way over performing projections. Universal was very surprised by how well it’s going.

43 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I got interviewed by Indie Wire for an article that should release Monday about the film. Short version: this movie is making tons of money in the middle of the country, way over performing projections. Universal was very surprised by how well it’s going.

I'm not surprised... this movie was definitely targeted to middle 'murica. 

Dan Ryckert (who's from Kansas) said that Twister was like the second coming there when it came out so it's not too surprising that the sequel would do good as well.

Anyone remember that guy from IGN who was big into tornadoes and storm chasing? I miss that guy.

On 7/19/2024 at 8:21 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

4D? Theaters are giving viewers the eyes of the gods now?

• Haha 1
  • Hype 1

This was a great note from Spielberg.  The movie didn't need it and ended perfectly.  Great way to subverting expectations in my opinion.