Do you pay for news?

Do you pay for news?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pay for news? (select all that apply)

• Direct Subscription (e.g. NY Times)
    • Aggregate Subscription (e.g. Apple News)
    • Individual Subscription (e.g. Substack, Patreon)
    • Occasional Gift (e.g. NPR donation)
    • Institutional Access (e.g. through School or Work)
    • Other
    • I don't pay for any news

After reading about the new Aftermath gaming news site, it made me wonder how this community feels about paid news sites. I certainly understand why publishers are looking for subscription revenue, but at the same time subscription overload is very real.

For my part, I do pay for one (digital) newspaper, and I have access through my Wife's work to a few others. There are writers who I enjoy, but I haven't been convinced to actually sign up for a substack sub. We make a yearly donation to Wikipedia, but I don't think that really counts.

I paid for WaPo until recently. I switched to NYT. Not because I like NYT better, but because my work gives us these spend-o-bucks every month that you can spend on a website that gives various gifts, and a NYT subscription was an option there. WaPo was not. Realistically I'm only reading one newspaper at a time so I decided to save a few bucks per month.

I'm not sure why I can't edit my vote but I accidentally voted for just direct subscription (Washington Post, Ars Technica) when I also get The Economist through work. Although I may stop paying for Ars Technica given how egregious their spamming of lists of random junk with Amazon affiliate links has gotten,

No lol.

Philip DeFranco is the only news media I consume on purpose and I'd never pay for that content. He covers too much pop culture shit that I have to skip. Other than that, I see the major headlines on here and reddit. No reason to pay for anything. And if I had a reason I still wouldn't.

• Halal 1

I do not, i get enough here… plus the bad news is what sells and at times some of it feels “overwhelming”… the bigger thing is that “everything” is seemingly a subscription or patreon thing.. picking and choosing is in itself exhausting

love that at least this is free and certain reddit forums arent full on toxic

Not really no. And one could say Giantbomb is a news site now and I was a premium subscriber for a long time but I stopped because the app was broken so I would have to go to youtube and youtube has ads so there was no reason to pay anymore.

I have plenty of patreons but none are news related. (Well I guess Nextlander and Jeff Gerstmann read the news so news in that way I suppose)