US economy delivers blockbuster performance in third quarter At 4.9%

7 hours ago, UpvoteShittyTakesOnly said:

powell on the economy Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

More like Fox News/Republican reaction

They keep beating the inflation/recession drum to the point people will generally think there is a recession, yet every month the the jobs number and gpd growth is strong. 

• True 1

Polling still puts negative views of the economy at over 50%, though.

Inflation really makes people grumpy.

Well, that and the fact that things are so politically polarized that 48% of the population will always tell pollsters the economy is good/bad depending on whether their preferred party is in power.  Who knows what the numbers look like if you could take partisanship out of the equation. (PSA for fellow economists: you can’t)

7 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Not to start shit, but why?  I almost never use DoorDash/Uber/whatever but a local pizza or Chinese place?  Sure.

You're unclear on why Wade doesn't partake in decadent Western bourgeois indulgences on what he considers to be purely body fuel? 

56 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Not to start shit, but why?  I almost never use DoorDash/Uber/whatever but a local pizza or Chinese place?  Sure.

49 minutes ago, Jason said:

You're unclear on why Wade doesn't partake in decadent Western bourgeois indulgences on what he considers to be purely body fuel? 

44 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I almost never order delivery, it's cheaper and almost-as-easy to just go pickup.

@LazyPiranha - both @Jason and @CitizenVectron nailed it.

I really, really do have an aversion to what I consider to be "unnecessary" conveniences such as food delivery.

And don't get me started on the concept of the "drive through" either.

46 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

@LazyPiranha - both @Jason and @CitizenVectron nailed it.

I really, really do have an aversion to what I consider to be "unnecessary" conveniences such as food delivery.

And don't get me started on the concept of the "drive through" either.

What’s the point of affluence if you don’t enjoy the fruits. I can have Indian delivered to my domicile while I don’t have to put on pants. The American dream right there. 

One thing I genuinely miss about living in Center City Philadelphia is having everything RIGHT THERE within walking distance. My part of West Philly only has a few spots (including the original Jim’s Steaks which just reopened!) within walking distance anymore. 

Nowadays if I’m in the city, I get something and then have to rush home and hope it’s not cold when I get home.

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

I generally enjoy going for a walk to pick up takeout in my neighborhood (I live in downtown Toronto) but man sometimes it's difficult when you have little kids on strict schedules. Last night I ordered food at 6, got it at 7, then didn't get to actually eat it till 10pm (I've got a 1 month old and a 2 year old).  =/

3 hours ago, MarSolo said:

The best time to use DoorDash or UberEats is when they offer discounts. Sometimes it’s ends up being a steal for what you get. 

Yup. Even after you factor in the markup/overhead on the apps you end up even or cheaper than going in when they do their 40% or 50% off deals.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out what to get delivered right NOW. I'm going to be stuck working a little late and there's zero chance I'm going to dress the kids and load them up in the car.

Think I'll go with this Indian/Nepalese fusion joint. My kids need to learn to better appreciate dumplings.