Middle-Aged Adults Are Binge Drinking and Using Marijuana at Record Levels

13 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I keep things to monthly or every other week, sometimes even less than that and when I do it's in moderation.

I wish I could just have a beer a two a night but I'm an alcoholic. So one beer turns in an all week bender lol. Good for you for being responsible. 

I quit drinking for a while, then I started again. I don't drink nearly as much as I did, but still probably than most of you.

... I dunno, life sucked when I didn't drink. There's a certain amount of wanting to be numb. I don't like being me when I'm totally sober.

I don't do drugs anymore, though. Drugs just started to make me feel miserable. I even quit caffeine. That was a good decision.

44 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What was the occasion to have those 2 beers? Have you ever drank more earlier in life?

Was in Ma. on vacation, so I thought to sample a local beer both nights we went out to dinner. I used to drink 2 - 3 times a week, or more sometimes, when I was a fatty.  All the science says there is no real safe amount of alcohol to drink, and it's empty calories, so it was easy to just stop drinking. 

• Halal 1

11 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I quit drinking for a while, then I started again. I don't drink nearly as much as I did, but still probably than most of you.

... I dunno, life sucked when I didn't drink. There's a certain amount of wanting to be numb. I don't like being me when I'm totally sober.

I don't do drugs anymore, though. Drugs just started to make me feel miserable. I even quit caffeine. That was a good decision.

I definitely feel you on wanting to feel numb. That was my favorite part of drinking was feeling numb to all the pain and it was an amazing escape from reality. I miss that aspect but everything else was a complete nightmare. Also, I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks and drinking intensified those issues 10 fold. 

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Caffeine is and will always be my drug of choice. 

Right up there just past weed for me. I use to drink 2-3 710ml bottles of Pepsi a day. I’ll have a Pepsi now maybe twice a month, and now drink Canada Dry Ginger Ale instead. Started the switch after my terrible case of Gout in my foot at the end of this past month of June 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Right up there just past weed for me. I use to drink 2-3 710ml bottles of Pepsi a day. I’ll have a Pepsi now maybe twice a month, and now drink Canada Dry Ginger Ale instead. Started the switch after my terrible case of Gout in my foot at the end of this past month of June 

So do you drink coffee for your caffeine?

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

So do you drink coffee for your caffeine?

No I don’t drink anything hot. Also not a fan of coffee or tea, even if they are cold drinks. Sadly I’m pretty much Pepsi, ginger ale, water, and orange crush occasionally. Also hate the taste of energy drinks, god they are gross. 

1 minute ago, silentbob said:

No I don’t drink anything hot. Also not a fan of coffee or tea, even if they are cold drinks. Sadly I’m pretty much Pepsi, ginger ale, water, and orange crush occasionally. Also hate the taste of energy drinks, god they are gross. 

Sour Patch Kids or Sour Green Apple Ghost are great. They also have an orange cream one that is good too

41 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Sour Patch Kids or Sour Green Apple Ghost are great. They also have an orange cream one that is good too

Funny enough, I have a bag of sour kids by my bed. Along with (what use to be) a 2.5kg bag of gummie bears. Tried to get more today but weren’t available in the store :cry: So I bought 2 bags of Cherry Twists instead, and they are super soft. They are dangerous for a Stoner like myself

11 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Funny enough, I have a bag of sour kids by my bed. Along with (what use to be) a 2.5kg bag of gummie bears. Tried to get more today but weren’t available in the store :cry: So I bought 2 bags of cherry Twosts instead, and they are super soft. They are dangerous for a Stoner like myself

When I was a fatty I had the 2 pound sour patch kids bag along with sour Brite Crawlers and harbo gummy bears at my desk at all times. 

• Hugs 1

I didn't really think anything of caffeine until the first time I went without it for a few days. The withdrawal from caffeine was easily 5x worse than alcohol or tobacco. I felt like I wanted to die. Caffeine is the only withdrawal I've had that had my so sick that I was throwing up.

A couple years ago I decided to drink a can of rockstar because I felt like it.

HOLY SHIT I felt like I was tweaking. I was sweating, my heart rate felt like it was 120bpm, my hands were shaking, my pupils were the size of the moon... Then I remember thinking "this is what I was doing to myself every day?!"

I've had coffee a couple times since then, only when I've been working double shifts and I felt like death anyway.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

Funny enough, I have a bag of sour kids by my bed. Along with (what use to be) a 2.5kg bag of gummie bears. Tried to get more today but weren’t available in the store :cry: So I bought 2 bags of Cherry Twists instead, and they are super soft. They are dangerous for a Stoner like myself

I got these gummi bears that @Biggie recommended and they are great but I guess accidentally ordered like 1.5lbs of them? I’ve been doing extra laps on my walks because I can’t stop with them right there in these cute little mini bags 

• Hugs 1

25 minutes ago, stepee said:

I got these gummi bears that @Biggie recommended and they are great but I guess accidentally ordered like 1.5lbs of them? I’ve been doing extra laps on my walks because I can’t stop with them right there in these cute little mini bags 

I use to think Allen’s were the best at making candies because of their sour kids and cherry blasters. Their gummie bears are good but some company out of Quebec called Sweet Sixteen has them beat. They make some of the most flavourful candies I’ve tried in years. Their taste is so good, that the pineapple bears work with my Cinderella 99 and up the high feeling on me. Does so because of the sugar and sharing the same terp profile of C99 with the pineapple taste. 

• Shocked 1

4 hours ago, Ominous said:

Orange cream is top Ghost on Jeff Gerstmann's list.

I had it a couple days ago (my grocery store finally got the flavor), it's pretty good. I think I still prefer the other flavors over it. I guess it's not as extremely sweet as the other flavors so it's probably easier to drink.

I haven’t had a proper energy drink in ages, and I saw a mega-man themed one for sale so I figured what the hell.  It was blue slushee flavored zero sugar, tasted like ass, I only drank half of it and I felt like my chest was being squeezed the rest of the day, and I’m a heavy coffee drinker.  Never again.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, LazyPiranha said:

I haven’t had a proper energy drink in ages, and I saw a mega-man themed one for sale so I figured what the hell.  It was blue slushee flavored zero sugar, tasted like ass, I only drank half of it and I felt like my chest was being squeezed the rest of the day, and I’m a heavy coffee drinker.  Never again.

There is only one semi decent energy drink. The rest are watered down motor coolant mixed with carbonated piss. 

Don't drink alcohol at all, or any kind of drugs. Can't stand energy drinks. Thanks to the medication I take(blood thinner) I even avoid anything stronger than over the counter Tylenol unless absolutely necessary.

My list of vices is pretty much down to 2 or 3 cans of pop per day at this point. But man, like Fiz said, I find caffeine waaaay more difficult to quit than alcohol or smoking ever were.

• True 1

I think quitting alcohol is generally not that difficult for people if they really want to. So long as they didn’t let their body become chemically addicted to it. I’ve quit drinking, smoking, caffeine, and pot multiple times (though currently using marijuana and caffeine) and while caffeine and smoking can be pretty bad they don’t come anywhere within the same realm of the horror of what detoxing from alcohol feels like when you are far in. Especially if you get yourself some of those good ol fashioned DTs.

I'm about ready to wash my hands of my brother-in-law. He's 44 and I couldn't tell you when he last held a steady job. He's suffered with crippling depression for years and just sits around doing nothing or intermittently holds an odd job. For a while, he was gardening and making jellies and jams and selling them at farmer's market, stuff like that. I know his parents have heavily supported him financially over the years. I never knew him to be much of a drinker, really. Their biological dad is a piece of shit alcoholic who they have nothing to do with. Part of the reason my husband has never drank. The last few years, my BIL has started drinking heavily to the point he's a full blown alcoholic and does absolutely nothing to support himself. He said he only started because he couldn't sleep, doesn't really like it, but doesn't want to go through withdrawls. Except he's done detox twice now, gotten through all that, and goes right back to it. He's supposed to be entering some new treatment program soon, but his mom and stepdad said t his is it for them. She recently lost her job through shitty circumstances and stepdad is disabled. They can't keep supporting him. I'm skeptical this new program will work because of his long history and if it doesn't, we've already said we aren't going to keep him afloat. It sounds harsh, but what else can you do? You can't keep pouring money into someone endlessly who hasn't really wanted to be productive for almost all of his adult life.

• Hugs 5