Middle-Aged Adults Are Binge Drinking and Using Marijuana at Record Levels

8 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

He needs to go into a residential treatment program and then transitional housing. Once you’re at a certain point with addiction, this is really the only way out. Speaking from experience.

I don’t know if the latter is even an option. They live in a complete bumfuck area. Resources are practically nonexistent. 

• Sad 1

The only time I quit drinking entirely started from the beginning of the pandemic. I hadn't realized the only thing that kept me from drinking 24/7 was being constantly busy. Once I got laid off, I started pounding whiskey as soon as I woke up every day because I had nothing better to do. Even though I cut down on that amount of drinking once I realized "maybe this habit is unsustainable" and again when I started working again, it still got to a point where the withdrawals would start after 6-8 hours without alcohol. I would wake up with shaky hands.

I've since went through a sober period and also therapy and learned a lot about myself. I'm manic depressive and basically there's no worse thing for my mental health than boredom, but I'm also not very good at giving myself goals. Giving myself something to do every day beyond going to work has been great for my mental health (and therefore my addiction). Sometimes it's stupid, like I want to make a map of my neighborhood or make a database of tarantino movies ranked on how often they use the N-word, but I pretty much constantly need to be stimulated or else it's trouble town really fast.