Middle-Aged Adults Are Binge Drinking and Using Marijuana at Record Levels

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

When I think of “middle aged”, I generally think of those with older teens/college aged kids, but that aren’t themselves quite retirement aged.

But I was born an old man, so at 38, call me middle aged or worse.

I’m only 2 years older than you and my oldest isn’t quite 2 nor out of her diapers phase. :P 

I go through phases with alcohol. I would never have more than 1-2 drinks a night but it just becomes a habit and I really don’t feel great the next day. I’ve always been fortunate I can just stop when I want. I’ll drop 10 pounds within a month or two of stopping which is cool. Going on 5 months now with no alcohol. Almost gave in this weekend but I might test myself and go a full year.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

I just don't get how these people are drinking this much and still holding down real jobs! If I was binge drinking even one time a week(M-F), my project would go right off the rails. Add family into that and what are your kids seeing you do? :sadsun: Life is fucking hard America, get it together! 

5 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I just don't get how these people are drinking this much and still holding down real jobs! If I was binge drinking even one time a week(M-F), my project would go right off the rails. Add family into that and what are your kids seeing you do? :sadsun: Life is fucking hard America, get it together! 

I kept a job for 7 years with binge drinking Fri-Sat-Sun. Binge drinking I mean a full bottle of Jack Daniel's (750 ml) and roughly 30 beers in that 3 day period. I was really bad, man. So it's possible. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

Yeah, during my worst periods of drinking, I was still able to pick my moments. I wouldn’t drink until I had nothing going on for a couple days. It’s how I realized I wasn’t addicted, I was just bored. Of course, this is when I was still at Target, so I could’ve done my job hungover, probably even drunk, and it wouldn’t have mattered. 

Just hit 43 and I need to cut back on my drinking. I only drink on Friday and Saturdays but when I do I go to hard for my old ass. Even a good buzz gives me hangover the next day. If I get proper drunk the whole next day is going to be shot, too old both chronologically and experience-wise for this shit.

7 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Work for a French company or a company under French management. Me, my PM and the head of Eng for the studio use to grab a drink or two over lunch multiple times a week. We only cut back when we looked at our credit card statements. LoL 

:skull:

I’m glad I’m only a social drinker. Thanks  to Covid I’ve at most have/had 1 drink a year now. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Just hit 43 and I need to cut back on my drinking. I only drink on Friday and Saturdays but when I do I go to hard for my old ass. Even a good buzz gives me hangover the next day. If I get proper drunk the whole next day is going to be shot, too old both chronologically and experience-wise for this shit.

Yea it's just not worth it. The hangovers I had were indescribable.  😆 

I hit rock bottom though and got help. Other than a small breakdown a few years ago where I was drinking a 6 pack after work I have completely stopped drinking since 2013.

I’ve never had a hangover in my life, and I’ve gone really hard in the paint plenty of times. I asked my brothers and they said the same, so I’m guessing maybe something genetic?

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’ve never had a hangover in my life, and I’ve gone really hard in the paint plenty of times. I asked my brothers and they said the same, so I’m guessing maybe something genetic?

My wife doesn't get them either. We can drink roughly the same amount of alcohol and I will be dying the next day and she will be perfectly fine

41 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Savor your genetic superiority, you magnificent bastard! :sun:

• True 1

46 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

dude, sell your business and just retire and become the worlds happiest alcoholic then

Just get liver checks to make sure you have generic superiority there too, but maybe you do! 

• Halal 2

Quick guide to Vicky's drinking responses throughout the ages:

16 - 30:   Could drink constantly and work the next day, no problem!

31-39:     Hello hangovers, good bye immortality

40-46:     Massive hangovers, sometimes for up to 48 hours + a phenomena the internet apparently calls "Hangxiety " in which, you did nothing wrong drinking but wake up the following day with the terrible feeling you have  embarrassed yourself or did something bad. Its awful and persists right in step with the hang over. 

• Hugs 2

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Same. It’s because our blood is 90% Diet Coke. 

• Haha 4

Yeah I don't get hangovers either - I go pretty hard on Friday and Saturday nights most weekends (stone cold sober the rest of the week though). Just drink a good bit of water before you go to bed, get enough sleep, shower in the morning, and go to the bathroom as needed. You can pop some electrolytes before bed if you're prone to a hangover but not drinking because of hangovers is a very solvable problem! :p 

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

TIL Riley is mormon

Oh I'm no Mormon, my love of coffee would preclude that. Well, and being a non-believer. But I just never picked up drinking, and saw no reason to start after high school. I've tried edibles a few times but have no desire to do them again. 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Oh I'm no Mormon, my love of coffee would preclude that. Well, and being a non-believer. But I just never picked up drinking, and saw no reason to start after high school. I've tried edibles a few times but have no desire to do them again. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah I hear that. I've never had the desire to drink, so when I left those beliefs behind all those years ago I still never drank.

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

Im just going to tell myself it’s because they feel that shitty all the time so when they have a hangover they don’t notice the difference 

I do the same but with big dicks. Their dicks look bigger due to them having small hands.  What else could it be?

• Haha 1

I haven’t even had a full beer in my life. The closest I got was a half a beer that I was forced to buy and drink while playing golf with my theatre managers like 20+ years ago. I don’t like the taste and I had a a really bad case of vertigo when I came back from a school trip to NYC when I was 16.  I was constantly feeling dizzy and nauseous, and my family doctor said it was like being drunk. So that might of also kept me away from the devil’s liquor but I see no appeal to start trying.