Pastor alarmed after Trump-loving congregants deride Jesus’ teachings as “weak”

Or in other words, I like Gods that don't get crucified.

Who could ever have foreseen that this would be the result of making Donald Trump the leader of your party.

Honestly, it's been an incongruity between the party and religion for a while now, but neither group has a problem with hypocrisy so it has mostly worked. It was Trump's "Why bother hiding it" mindset for all the GOP's worst impulses that made it so that his followers find little reason to hide it anymore.

• Halal 2

31 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Any casual observation of D1 football will dispel the notion of “white supremacy” as well.

Man I remember when QBs were basically never black (because they weren’t recruited among other reasons) and that was used as proof that whites were “better” or whatever (usually by some guy who hadn’t seen his dick in decades)

• Haha 1
  • True 1

22 minutes ago, ort said:

Any Christian who voted for Trump is not a Christian. They may pretend to be one,  it they are not one. The teachings of Christ are in direct conflict with the modern day Republican Party. You cannot be both. 

Reminds me of the Christian magazine editor that was, running up to the 2016 election, pretty much chased off the magazine for writing an editorial about how Christians were selling out their faith for Supreme Court seats.

1 hour ago, TUFKAK said:

Any casual observation of D1 football will dispel the notion of “white supremacy” as well.

Not entirely sure if using an example of black people as entertainment for the masses counters the goals of white supremacists very well...

I think the turning point for me when it came to Christians was when Trump was asked his favorite Bible quote and he clearly couldn’t name one so he made up a bullshit excuse of “that’s a very private matter for me” and they were totally okay with it. 

Wasn’t there a town hall recently where he was asked about his faith and he gave a bullshit answer?

22 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

I think the turning point for me when it came to Christians was when Trump was asked his favorite Bible quote and he clearly couldn’t name one so he made up a bullshit excuse of “that’s a very private matter for me” and they were totally okay with it. 

Wasn’t there a town hall recently where he was asked about his faith and he gave a bullshit answer?

Not sure about recently, but a classic from 2016.....

Two Corinthians instead of 2nd Corinthians.

Like he thought it was Corinthians 2: Electric Boogaloo :lol:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, unogueen said:

Jesus isn't the bible. The bible is hateful as hell.

The Bible makes more sense when you view it as a large collection of books written by different authors in different time periods, chosen to be grouped together by religious leaders for political reasons, and not as a singular work.

• Halal 1

24 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

You mean people who think its their god given right to blow anyone away who slightly inconveniences them or puts 1 foot on their land aren't actually followers of christ but just programmed to believe they are?

Don’t forget they think that mere belief does away with their sins

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

@TUFKAK physique critique please

Flat chest, lat inserts are too high, arms are disproportionate to the bis, no thigh sweep, blocky torso, delts are underdeveloped 

can’t see his back but guarantee it’s lacking width due to those shit lats.

No pro card for this guy

• Hype 2

The pastor in question is Russel Moore, an ex-Southern Baptist who had been the head of an entity within the Southern Baptist Convention before being forced out for criticizing Trump. He's definitely a moderate in the Baptist tradition, but he was still Southern Baptist and upheld most of the standard tenets of its belief system that created this monster.

He can be surprised and shocked and saddened and everything else. But he helped make the leopards who ate his face. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 9:54 AM, CayceG said:

The pastor in question is Russel Moore, an ex-Southern Baptist who had been the head of an entity within the Southern Baptist Convention before being forced out for criticizing Trump. He's definitely a moderate in the Baptist tradition, but he was still Southern Baptist and upheld most of the standard tenets of its belief system that created this monster.

He can be surprised and shocked and saddened and everything else. But he helped make the leopards who ate his face. 

I agree that he's complicit but someone leaving a cult and speaking out against it is always a good thing. If we want more Christians to speak out against Trump we can't immediately admonish them for not speaking out sooner. I'm not saying we should give him a medal and treat him like an hero, but creating a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario is not going to encourage anyone to leave and speak out.

• Halal 2

This part from the original NPR interview was interesting:

gettyimages-1197349371_wide-1338a7c980c8
WWW.NPR.ORG

Russell Moore criticized Donald Trump and the Southern Baptist Convention's response to a sexual abuse crisis. Then he found himself on the outside.

It was the result of having multiple pastors tell me, essentially, the same story about quoting the Sermon on the Mount, parenthetically, in their preaching — "turn the other cheek" — [and] to have someone come up after to say, "Where did you get those liberal talking points?" And what was alarming to me is that in most of these scenarios, when the pastor would say, "I'm literally quoting Jesus Christ," the response would not be, "I apologize." The response would be, "Yes, but that doesn't work anymore. That's weak." And when we get to the point where the teachings of Jesus himself are seen as subversive to us, then we're in a crisis.

1 hour ago, unogueen said:

It's not about redemption. He's a canary in the mine.

100% this. Like, yes, this guy does suck and is still pretty conservative. But the the fact that sucky people like him are alarmed by what's happening is an indication that the evangelical movement is becoming more and more extremist.