Pastor alarmed after Trump-loving congregants deride Jesus’ teachings as “weak”

18 hours ago, Kamusha said:

I agree that he's complicit but someone leaving a cult and speaking out against it is always a good thing. If we want more Christians to speak out against Trump we can't immediately admonish them for not speaking out sooner. I'm not saying we should give him a medal and treat him like an hero, but creating a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario is not going to encourage anyone to leave and speak out.

You're right that him leaving and speaking out about the problems in the SBC are good. I'm not disputing that. And he serves as a great example for speaking out against Trump and supporting other people in the ability to speak out themselves. 

But I don't think it's damned if you do/don't. I think Moore hasn't run far enough. He's now affiliated with a non-denominational church that is nominally evangelical. The church doesn't affirm (vocally and explicitly accept) LGBTQ membership. They are merely silent on it. There's not one woman on the religious staff of the church. 

Modern evangelicalism doesn't have problems that need to be fixed. Modern evangelicalism is at its core rotten and cannot be fixed. 

• True 1

15 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I didn't need this guy to tell me evangelicals aer becoming more extremeist. They want to create an Evangelical Iran. 

I don’t think any of us did. But openly deriding the teachings of Jesus is a different level of extremism than we’ve have seen before. And I say that as someone who was raised Southern Baptist. This is not normal, even for them.

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

There was a lot of rejection of Trump in the 2016 primaries by members of my former religion. I was initially kind of impressed but as soon as he was the nominee they embraced him because it turns out they’re just like evangelicals. 

I know someone I’ve been friends with since 9th grade who led the Mormon church after 2016. She didn’t vote trump that year, happy to say.

She straight up told me she regrets every time she voted for a republican, and you can see her at council meetings in Alabama plus protests for civil rights and against confederate statues. I always thought she was cool and a great person even when she was republican, but seeing this shift is really amazing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I know someone I’ve been friends with since 9th grade who led the Mormon church after 2016. She didn’t vote trump that year, happy to say.

She straight up told me she regrets every time she voted for a republican, and you can see her at council meetings in Alabama plus protests for civil rights and against confederate statues. I always thought she was cool and a great person even when she was republicans, but seeing this shift is really amazing.

Nice. 

Admittedly, Mormons might still be the largest anti-Trump right leaning faction (see: Romney). But they’ll still vote for him over any democrat or independent (see: Mike Lee).