Heat wave combined with power outage would send 800,000 in Phoenix to ER

Luckily we haven't had any recent major global events that illustrated how woefully inadequate our hospital system is at handling a large, unexpected influx of patients.

Arizona will probably respond to this by passing a new law that opens medical staff to legal liability or jail time if they help woman obtain birth control.

• True 2

11 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I wouldn't live out there without a gas backup generator and a solar battery/panels.  But then again I'd never live out there cause I value going outside. 

That's good to have a backup to generate electricity, but you'd still be out of luck if the unit itself goes bad, of course. No thank you, Phoenix. 

57 minutes ago, Nokra said:

That's good to have a backup to generate electricity, but you'd still be out of luck if the unit itself goes bad, of course. No thank you, Phoenix. 

Have a portable AC backup. Still though fuck living in a place where you literally die if you go outside longer than 15 minutes in the summer.

I couldn't imagine a summer locked indoors.

Lololol

as an er nurse, for now, lol

no, there’s no way, this is a stupid article and if it ever happened the entire healthcare system collapses, not overwhelms, collapses.

my gf worked in New York during the pandemic, they were on the verge then, her stories when she chooses to share them are horrific, but this, this is a beyond that 

• True 1

10 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

Luckily we haven't had any recent major global events that illustrated how woefully inadequate our hospital system is at handling a large, unexpected influx of patients.

Arizona will probably respond to this by passing a new law that opens medical staff to legal liability or jail time if they help woman obtain birth control.

Or how outdated and vulnerable our grid system is.

I'm not just talking about Texas. Last summer, experts warned that electric grids in numerous states would be tested, and people in those states might suffer blackouts/brownouts.

10 hours ago, Dodger said:

My ac went out on a 117 day a couple years ago. That sucked.

At least it was a dry heat!

It does blow my mind that Phoenix was established before the invention of AC though.  Like, there is a historic neighborhood in Phoenix that was built in the early 1900s, and I'm pretty sure they just suffered through the summers there with no cooling (and hardly any insulation probably).  

24 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Clearly no history of humans living in or near deserts and creating large civilizations with buildings made of stone.

A) Those civilizations were in the flood plains or in relatively close proximity to significant, consistent sources of water (the Nile, the confluence of the Tigris and Euphrates).

B) Those civilizations didn't consume nearly the volume of water resources that ours do on a routine basis for non-agricultural purposes.

There really is zero point of comparison at all.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

A) Those civilizations were in the flood plains or in relatively close proximity to significant , consistent sources of water (the Nile, the confluence of the Tigris and Euphrates) which our large cities in the desert aren't.

B) Those civilizations didn't consume nearly the volume of water resources that ours do on a routine basis.

Absolutely true.

But a power outage is a different issue than the usage of water resources.

I hate Arizona. Only one part of that shit hole state was worth going to and that was Sedona.

I still haven’t forgiven my best friend for moving out there because his bitch wife wanted to move there to be with her family who moved out there two years prior for some stupid reason.

30 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Absolutely true.

But a power outage is a different issue than the usage of water resources.

The American south wouldn't look anything like it does now without A/C regardless of water resources, the people that live there are not used to these temps for long periods of time, which are dangerous to the young and elderly, of which i'm sure are the majority of the numbers cited for a city of millions.

I only live here because my house anywhere I'd want to live back in CA would be  well over a million dollars. Or rent would be literally a grand more than my mortgage to living in a third of the space in an apartment. I'm actually trying to figure out what to do. Practical wise staying here is the best bet. But since I WFH I don't need to be here anymore. Most of the people I was friends with at work have moved back to CA. All my family is there. But it's just so damn expensive. 

Heat related deaths were more common pre-AC, but part of the answer is homes and other structures used to be built to use shade and natural airflows to keep temps reasonable. We don’t build structures the same way now because we have AC systems to do the heavy lifting. We could revamp building codes all over the place to require more passive cooling designs, and we probably will need such in some parts of the world as peak temps move up.

58 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

The American south wouldn't look anything like it does now without A/C regardless of water resources, the people that live there are not used to these temps for long periods of time, which are dangerous to the young and elderly, of which i'm sure are the majority of the numbers cited for a city of millions.

No doubt.  However, any claim that without A/C for 5 days, 50% of the population in a major city will need to go to the ER comes off as clickbait.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Heat related deaths were more common pre-AC, but part of the answer is homes and other structures used to be built to use shade and natural airflows to keep temps reasonable. We don’t build structures the same way now because we have AC systems to do the heavy lifting. We could revamp building codes all over the place to require more passive cooling designs, and we probably will need such in some parts of the world as peak temps move up.

The energy code already requires a fairly substantial portion of the most effective means of passive temperature control; the only major element would be increased requirements to facilitate greater ventilation airflow, ie, more operable windows.  There are some intriguing concepts on the horizon associated with exterior facade construction and green roofs, but they aren't ready for widespread use quite yet.

I suppose we are somewhat lucky that open concept layouts are incredibly popular right now, as that can maximize the potential cross-flow effect of having multiple windows open.

• Halal 1

• 1 month later...

The United States: Temperature-related hospitalizations have been consistent across multiple medical centers in Arizona. An emergency room doctor with Valleywise Health, which has multiple locations across the Phoenix area, told CNN: "The hospital has not been this busy with overflow since a few peaks in the Covid pandemic." The city once again hit 110 degrees Monday for a record-tying 18th consecutive day.

Patients can experience body temperatures of 107 or higher, resulting in death or permanent brain damage. LoVecchio said it could take as little as five to 10 minutes to cause brain cell death at these high temperatures.

Valleywise Health Medical Center Communications Director Michael Murphy told CNN that in some extreme cases, they are placing patients in body bags packed with ice to help cool them off, adding that their burn center has been "slammed"  with patients experiencing contact burns.  

8ecd0615-196b-4e55-a188-2b40b898dd6a.jpg
WWW.CNN.COM

As more than 90 million people swelter under heat advisories across the country, temperature-related hospitalizations have been consistent across multiple medical centers in Arizona.

This is without a power outtage.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Some parts of southern Europe (France, Italy, Greece, etc) are hitting close to 50C this week...and they don't have AC there. Likely will be thousands of deaths.

(((Soros))) on overdrive

Screenshot_20230718_121347_One UI Home.jpg

So you’re saying the giant Jewish space laser is teaming up secretly with Elon Musk satellites to super focus the world with heat. Thus driving up a HUGE demand in Tesla and other electric cars in hopes of destroying demand in middle eastern oil for almost everything? 

• True 1

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

So you’re saying the giant Jewish space laser is teaming up secretly with Elon Musk satellites to super focus the world with heat. Thus driving up a HUGE demand in Tesla and other electric cars in hopes of destroying demand in middle eastern oil for almost everything? 

It’s like the plot of a bad James Bond movie.

Die Another Day Villain GIF by James Bond 007

• True 1