Sony announces PlayStation Portal streaming handheld, update: "Impressive Hardware But Is Remote Play Itself Good Enough?" (Digital Foundry technical review)

SaysWho?

PlayStation-Showcase-2023-_-%5BENGLISH%5
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Sony has just announced a new handheld gaming device, codenamed Project Cube, which will let you stream games from your…

A teaser trailer for the device showed a Switch-like design with a tablet-like screen bookended by two controller halves.

"Innovation is our passion, and that applies to not just what games you play, but how you play them," Ryan said. "Later this year we will launch a device that enables you to stream any game from your PS5 over Wi-Fi.

"Internally known as Project Cube, it has an eight inch HD screen and all of the buttons and features of the DualSense wireless controller. We look forward to sharing more information in the near future."

Games must be installed on your PS5, and PSVR games will not be supported.

I'd be curious to get more info on this, such as e.g. price, if the screen is an OLED, are the controller grips detachable, can you play on this while someone else uses the console, battery life, etc. but at least in principle it seems pretty cool. Being able to game in bed while your partner sleeps or using it in the bathroom seems useful if the price is right!

14 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Called Cube, looks like the Switch, will get about as much support as the Wii U.

I love the idea but cmon there is no reason this wouldn’t work with all ps5 games universally :P

Curious if it’s oled and if it can run any streaming apps from google store or what.

On 5/24/2023 at 11:58 PM, Nokra said:

I'd be curious to get more info on this, such as e.g. price, if the screen is an OLED, are the controller grips detachable, can you play on this while someone else uses the console, battery life, etc. but at least in principle it seems pretty cool. Being able to game in bed while your partner sleeps or using it in the bathroom seems useful if the price is right!

This would be the only reason for me to get one - if I can play on the main TV and then my wife uses cloud streaming to play something else (at a decent standard). 

1 minute ago, Brian said:

I don’t mind the battery life if it is price appropriately. Based on the battery and the cheap screen, it has to be in the $150 range. 

Exactly. If it’s cheap, and works better than my backbone (which is a good device, but precludes you from all other use of your phone while playing), I may pick one up for playing in the hammock outside, or on the deck outside on summer nights. But much more than 150$ and um out. It’s not 4k or OLED, so more would be robbery.

I do want the earbuds though. For VR they would be great.

As usual Sony is fucking clueless when it comes to the handheld gaming space. 

Nobody is going to buy this thing: everyone who cares enough to remote play their PS5 already has a smartphone and a backbone. Everyone else wants a stand-alone device like the switch or the steam deck that can be played anywhere and not only on your home network. You  can technically "play" over wifi, but if it's not a turn based game you're going to have a bad time.

Even at $100 this thing would not fly off the shelves, but because it's Sony they're going to price it at $250-300,  and you're going to have to buy their proprietary modem/router to use it.

• True 1

14 minutes ago, Brian said:

if it is price appropriately

Lmao Laughter GIF

Let's see from the company that brought out PS VR for $600 bucks... A dualsense runs  you $70 minimum, so whatever junk they put in the middle plus the screen. I'm gonna say this will be $200 at the very least. (This also happens to be the same price of the DS EDGE)

47 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Lmao Laughter GIF

Let's see from the company that brought out PS VR for $600 bucks... A dualsense runs  you $70 minimum, so whatever junk they put in the middle plus the screen. I'm gonna say this will be $200 at the very least. (This also happens to be the same price of the DS EDGE)

I mean, PSVR2 is not overpriced for its technology, but it is expensive for a gaming accessory. It’s excellent hardware, as @stepee can confirm. It’s just whether or not Sony nails the software down the line, and so far that’s a big no.

Yeah psvr2 would actually be a good deal for the headset if it was on pc. The problem with its price is it’s this ultra premium product that is for a system with a base of customers that typically aren’t buying the ultra premium so it’s in a strange place.

5 hours ago, stepee said:

Yeah psvr2 would actually be a good deal for the headset if it was on pc. The problem with its price is it’s this ultra premium product that is for a system with a base of customers that typically aren’t buying the ultra premium so it’s in a strange place.

While I prefer wireless headsets if Sony added PC support to PSVR2 I would be very interested in it. 

Project Cube... well I have nothing nice to say. 

5 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

While I prefer wireless headsets if Sony added PC support to PSVR2 I would be very interested in it. 

Project Cube... well I have nothing nice to say. 

I agree with you on allowing PC support, I would probably be all over it. Now why get this Cube device, when you stream to your phone and rock out with a Rokid Max or nReal AR type glasses. Especially if the Max work as well as they seem too with 1080p Micro OLED, 120hrz refresh rate, and up too 215” like screen. Plus you can hookup your phone to a PS5 controller on Bluetooth.

18 minutes ago, best3444 said:

idk. The deck kinda owns every handheld ever made so I don't think a vita 2 would be better.

It be lots better than this dumbass idea. Who the fuck at Sony thinks this is going to sell? We all know it’s going to be priced way to much. 

• True 2

14 hours ago, silentbob said:

I agree with you on allowing PC support, I would probably be all over it. Now why get this Cube device, when you stream to your phone and rock out with a Rokid Max or nReal AR type glasses. Especially if the Max work as well as they seem too with 1080p Micro OLED, 120hrz refresh rate, and up too 215” like screen. Plus you can hookup your phone to a PS5 controller on Bluetooth.

There are half a dozen portable systems that I would pick over this hell I would rather have an Analog Pocket than this monstrosity.

12 hours ago, Biggie said:

Fuck this weak ass shit. Just give us a Vita 2 and do it right this time. 

Hell I would take a re-release of the Vita over this thing :lol:

12 hours ago, best3444 said:

idk. The deck kinda owns every handheld ever made so I don't think a vita 2 would be better.

There is still room in the market for other handhelds if Sony released a compelling $200 device it could take off. I would be down for a Vita 2 if it was Switch size and BC with Vita and PSP. 

• Halal 2

6 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

There are half a dozen portable systems that I would pick over this hell I would rather have an Analog Pocket than this monstrosity.

Hell I would take a re-release of the Vita over this thing :lol:

There is still room in the market for other handhelds if Sony released a compelling $200 device it could take off. I would be down for a Vita 2 if it was Switch size and BC with Vita and PSP. 

Biggie also made the point that a vita 2 could survive the market if priced well. I agree with you both now. 

30 minutes ago, johnny said:

if it worked well i would buy it 

It's an in home only device. Remote play is unusable on a different network unless you're playing a turn-based game. It's essentially a wii u tablet with slightly better range.

Do you still want it? Would you pay $200 for it because there's 0 chance it's going to cost less than that.

38 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

It's an in home only device. Remote play is unusable on a different network unless you're playing a turn-based game. It's essentially a wii u tablet with slightly better range.

Do you still want it? Would you pay $200 for it because there's 0 chance it's going to cost less than that.

yeah probably. i only play my switch in handheld 

• 5 months later...
24 minutes ago, stepee said:

Seems like ethernet connection to a handheld pc would still be superior even for ps5 streaming. A deck is what, $180 more now?

You can also just buy one of those controllers (or one of those cradles that attach to DualShock/DualSense controllers) for your phone and/or tablet and stream via the PlayStation app

32 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You can also just buy one of those controllers (or one of those cradles that attach to DualShock/DualSense controllers) for your phone and/or tablet and stream via the PlayStation app

Yeah but I hate that :P I don’t like the aspect/size and my phone is just my phone ya know but ya this is a little silly, doesn’t sound like it’s any special tech or anything to make it any better.