Sony announces PlayStation Portal streaming handheld, update: "Impressive Hardware But Is Remote Play Itself Good Enough?" (Digital Foundry technical review)

SaysWho?

SLICKDEALS.NET

Costco offers PlayStation Edition Mobile Gaming Controller for iPhone, with $25 Sony PlayStation Credit Included, for $49.97 Features:Play any Game or Service that Supports...

I still recommend the backbone as an alternative and Costco has it for $50 with $25 credit. This is the iPhone version that uses lightening connection 

• Like 1
  • True 1

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

If this were OLED I'd buy one next month without hesitation. 

This is wifi just like the deck would be if you set it up :P you can do what this does but on an oled with hdr right now 

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

This is wifi just like the deck would be if you set it up :P you can do what this does but on an oled with hdr right now 

Fuck me. I think I might try this today then because my connection has been phenomenal. Where did you give me introductions before? Also, this is streaming right? If so, that scares me a bit.

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Fuck me. I think I might try this today then because my connection has been phenomenal. Where did you give me introductions before? Also, this is streaming right? If so, that scares me a bit.

Yeah it’s streaming (both this and if you use deck) - but it’s local streaming so your actual internet speed doesn’t matter, only the router/modem itself. The instructions are somewhere in the main steam deck oled thread.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah it’s streaming (both this and if you use deck) - but it’s local streaming so your actual internet speed doesn’t matter, only the router/modem itself. The instructions are somewhere in the main steam deck oled thread.

Ok I'll look in that thread. Ok, so is it similar to streaming a ps5 game on psn? I did that and it was a blurry mess!

10 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Ok I'll look in that thread. Ok, so is it similar to streaming a ps5 game on psn? I did that and it was a blurry mess!

No, as that would be using your internet connection. This would be using your local area network (lan). Make sure the ps5 is on ethernet.  

No, as that would be using your internet connection. This would be using your local area network (lan). Make sure the ps5 is on ethernet.  

I don't own ethernet cables. I'm currently on the oled deck thread looking for your instructions. Taking a while. :p

10 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I don't own ethernet cables. I'm currently on the oled deck thread looking for your instructions. Taking a while. :p

The ps5 is wifi? If it’s wifi this will not work well at all - you’d first want to connect it to ethernet (cables are like $3 on amazon)

14 minutes ago, stepee said:

The ps5 is wifi? If it’s wifi this will not work well at all - you’d first want to connect it to ethernet (cables are like $3 on amazon)

I finally found your instructions. I also found an ethernet cable to use for my PS5!

@stepee Scratch this idea. I cannot connect an ethernet cable because the modem/router is very far away. I'd have to drill a whole through the garage through two more rooms to get it. 

That's why all my devices are Wi-Fi. 

I could afford PlayStation portal soon but is that streaming too?

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Its not streaming so my next question is, is the LCD screen really that bad? It's HD 1080p 60fps compatible. 

It is streaming. It will be the exact same thing except it doesn’t even have wifi6 and the display will be way worse. The portal will work horrible if the ps5 is connected via wifi.

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

You can try streaming to the deck still wifi to wifi - if you want to see what the portal would be like. Then just picture that but worse and see if that’s worth the money or not.

So when I watched my streaming services over wifi it's completely fine and clear. Can I assume the same for the PS5 portable or are games way more in depth?

Just now, best3444 said:

So when I watched my streaming services over wifi it's completely fine and clear. Can I assume the same for the PS5 portable or are games way more in depth?

The biggest issue you will run into is that when you watch tv you are streaming from another source outside of your home - in this case your home will be providing that source - and that source (the ps5) is going to be coming off an unreliable wifi connection - and also yes games are more demanding at latency is much more important.

Just set it up on deck still and see how it runs. The portal has no technology above the deck for streaming, it actually doesn’t support as good of streaming (wifi6) as the deck. So whatever the deck can do, just picture that but worse and without hdr on a much worse screen.

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Does Ethernet really make that big a difference?

I just did a speed test on my laptop.  It doesn't seem to for me.

Wifi -- 713mbps / 17ms ping

Ethernet - 650mbps / 16ms ping

The biggest issues are all the packets that will be dropping left and right and the channels getting crowded etc - I say he tries it on the deck still - though I don’t get the purpose of another device to do the same thing but not as good.

Just now, stepee said:

The biggest issues are all the packets that will be dropping left and right and the channels getting crowded etc - I say he tries it on the deck still - though I don’t get the purpose of another device to do the same thing but not as good.

I guess I was assuming @best3444 is using a good router with solid bandwidth, and has picked channels that are relatively clear, which is probably not a good assumption on my part.

• Haha 1

@stepee

I have done everything in your instructions but I am stumped here:

"8) Open chiaki4deck on your deck and you should see a ps5 - double click on it using the touchscreen, sometimes it takes a couple tries so just keep tapping it until

9) A register screen should pop up, use the code provided by the flipscreen link I posted above and the pin number that should be on your screen after you hit link device on the ps5 

10) In Chiaki4deck click on the settings gear on the top right and then go to options and make sure you have the renderer set to Vulcan and codec to H265 HDR - I also recommend setting resolution at 720p and fps at 60

11) Double click on the ps5 now to connect

12) Profit

On number 8, how do I open chiaki4deck on my deck in gaming mode?

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee

I have done everything in your instructions but I am stumped here:

"8) Open chiaki4deck on your deck and you should see a ps5 - double click on it using the touchscreen, sometimes it takes a couple tries so just keep tapping it until

9) A register screen should pop up, use the code provided by the flipscreen link I posted above and the pin number that should be on your screen after you hit link device on the ps5 

10) In Chiaki4deck click on the settings gear on the top right and then go to options and make sure you have the renderer set to Vulcan and codec to H265 HDR - I also recommend setting resolution at 720p and fps at 60

11) Double click on the ps5 now to connect

12) Profit

On number 8, how do I open chiaki4deck on my deck in gaming mode?

It should now be under “non gaming apps” when you go to your library

It should now be under “non gaming apps” when you go to your library

Found that. But I don't have a PIN number. All I got was an account ID and an encoded ID from the link you provided in your instructions. 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Ok, I finally connected to my PS5 but the connection was really delayed and bad. The PS5 music was all staticy and then the connection was lost. Is that because my connection is garbage?

Yeah, you can try lowering it to like 720p/60 if it isn’t already set but even Sony says a wired connection is “required” for the ps5 when using a portal, so I wouldn’t expect good results still.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah, you can try lowering it to like 720p/60 if it isn’t already set but even Sony says a wired connection is “required” for the ps5 when using a portal, so I wouldn’t expect good results still.

It's absolutely dreadful. Severe button lag etc. I'm not entertaining that idea again. I had no idea a wired connection was required for the portal. I'm obviously passing on that. Well your instructions worked lol. 

Just now, best3444 said:

It's absolutely dreadful. Severe button lag etc. I'm not entertaining that idea again. I had no idea a wired connection was required for the portal. I'm obviously passing on that. Well your instructions worked lol. 

Well maybe they can put another modem in or something when your parents change out cable companies so you can plug the ps5 in directly. It’s a house, they should be able to have it set so electronics can have ethernet connections. Then you will be all set to try again! Or whenever you move out.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Well maybe they can put another modem in or something when your parents change out cable companies so you can plug the ps5 in directly. It’s a house, they should be able to have it set so electronics can have ethernet connections. Then you will be all set to try again! Or whenever you move out.

Most likely going to happen when I move out. With my retirement money coming I could leave very soon. But there are a lot of things I need to consider before making a decision. What I'm trying to achieve it playing all my games handheld 99% of the time. It's just so much more comfortable for me.

On a side note, The Witcher 3 looks freakin amazing on the deck. It's so clear and detailed on high settings. I obviously had to turn raytracing off. Not sure if you ever tried that on your deck. 

54 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Most likely going to happen when I move out. With my retirement money coming I could leave very soon. But there are a lot of things I need to consider before making a decision. What I'm trying to achieve it playing all my games handheld 99% of the time. It's just so much more comfortable for me.

On a side note, The Witcher 3 looks freakin amazing on the deck. It's so clear and detailed on high settings. I obviously had to turn raytracing off. Not sure if you ever tried that on your deck. 

You went from disliking handheld gaming to wanting to do it exclusively. 

• Haha 1