How woke are you?

stepee

5 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm totally woke, though I did say it's okay to wear blackface if you're in the movie Tropic Thunder. The blackface was making a point.

Everytime I see Tropic Thunder blackface brought up White Chicks white face is brought.. its the same thing as Tropic Thunder, its the usage… White Chicks was more about poking fun at the socialites and because the Wayans did it they used white face.. If Adam Sandler and friends had done the film it would still hold some of the same humor/spirit but probably be less funny

9 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm totally woke, though I did say it's okay to wear blackface if you're in the movie Tropic Thunder. The blackface was making a point.

I'm "totally woke" as well, but I'm also fine with the black face in Tropic Thunder. The blackface in that movie was offensive to others within the movie universe. That was the entire point. RDJ's white character in that movie is the butt of the joke and the target of criticism.

• Halal 1

8 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm "totally woke" apparently. I've never seen Tropic Thunder, though.

Is it that difficult to be cognizant of the struggles of minorities?

Robert Downey Jr. does objectively play blackface in Tropic Thunder. The thing is that the whole point of his character is that he's the butt of the joke and doesn't realize it. It's supposed to be a representation of Hollywood being up its own ass. There are even jokes made wherein RDJ's character tries to "method act" as a black person but ends up becoming a stereotype when he tries to do so.

Basically, the whole point of his character is that he's ridiculous and stupid and everyone realizes it but him. It's a commentary on Hollywood culture and in no point throughout the process are black people ever the butt of the joke. That is an incredibly important distinction.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

This woke chick ain't broke. :p

I take that back. I've splurged way too much since paying off the house, so I am a little broke until I get a couple more paychecks. I'll survive.

I know that feel, bro. :p I'm not broke but I've gone a little crazy with outdoor gear, travel, and dining out lately, so... I need to live semi-frugally too. 

22 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I know that feel, bro. :p I'm not broke but I've gone a little crazy with outdoor gear, travel, and dining out lately, so... I need to live semi-frugally too. 

I essentially took most of the first two months of the year off because I thought I could... Then I injured my shoulder and essentially couldn't work for another two months... I've now essentially been out of work for 4 months, minus the odd gig here and there...

Let's just say my spending habits are not the same now as they were in January... Lots of frozen pizza...

• Hugs 1