Cancel culture run amok: Cucker Carlson out at Fox.

What's funny is that there is this like 45 second block in the middle of his rant that is mostly spot on and super insightful, but he lacks the self reflection to see that he himself is as guilty of playing that game as literally anyone in the history of mankind. He's literally describing exactly what he does night in and night out.

...or maybe he doesn't lack the self reflection, but this is always just been a game he's playing, which is actually probably what is happening. I think Tucker is actually super smart and has just mastered the art of telling his audience exactly what they want to hear.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

1 hour ago, ort said:

What's funny is that there is this like 45 second block in the middle of his rant that is mostly spot on and super insightful, but he lacks the self reflection to see that he himself is as guilty of playing that game as literally anyone in the history of mankind. He's literally describing exactly what he does night in and night out.

...or maybe he doesn't lack the self reflection, but this is always just been a game he's playing, which is actually probably what is happening. I think Tucker is actually super smart and has just mastered the art of telling his audience exactly what they want to hear.

He is right about truth eventually winning out.  He's mostly wrong about what the truth actually is.

I’m not going to watch that clip but if he’s making a case about the truth winning out in his video statement after being removed from his platform due to fallout from a lawsuit where it was revealed that his platform knowingly was lying to its viewers that is pretty funny. 

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m not going to watch that clip but if he’s making a case about the truth winning out in his video statement after being removed from his platform due to fallout from a lawsuit where it was revealed that his platform knowingly was lying to its viewers that is pretty funny. 

It was mostly an unhinged rant about media companies being a one-party system, or some other nonsense.

• Haha 1

I agree that the entire political and media system is basically a giant distraction machine designed to keep us focused on the things that are not actually that important. And that at the end of the day both parties are basically content to just grind away accomplishing nothing in order to keep the military industrial complex and mega corporations happy and out of the spotlight.

I strongly disagree that he will be any help in this regard because there is actually no better example of this bad faith bullshit then Tucker Carlson himself, who is the face of this completely dysfunctional system.

Tucker Carlson is the physical manifestation of everything wrong with politics in this country.

I think it's pretty rich for Carlson to get on a high horse and talk about how corrupt the media is on both sides and how distance has shown him that he needs to tell the truth. Dude has been on TV working for major networks for twenty years, and the only reason he's not still doing it is because he got himself fired for continuously lying so egregiously that it cost his employer hundreds of millions of dollars! Also, he's had what, three days of distance? I can't think of anyone who who could less credibly make the same point.

• Halal 4

6 hours ago, finaljedi said:

It's news right now, soon Fox will fill the time slot with someone saying the same thing Tucker did and people will start to forget him.  Tucker was saying the right things with the right channel backing him in the right time slot.  Apparently he averaged 670,000 in the 18-49 demo out of his audience of 5 million.  Fox will find someone else to tell old people that it's okay to be bothered that the Joneses sold their house up the street to a Mexican family before they moved to Florida.  Carlson will have a moderately successful podcast for his big fans and not make a ripple beyond that audience.

I mean, I don't believe that for a second. If Tucker makes an actual free podcast, his reach will get even bigger. 

You realize that 670k in 18-49 is huge nowadays, right? This isn't the days of Saturday Night Main Event drawing 30m. 5m is huge on cable. CNN can't even hit a million total viewers with their primetime lineup. MSNBC does little better aside from Maddow, who definitely isn't pulling Tucker numbers. 

This idea that Tucker is suddenly not relevant is wrong. 

57 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, I don't believe that for a second. If Tucker makes an actual free podcast, his reach will get even bigger. 

You realize that 670k in 18-49 is huge nowadays, right? This isn't the days of Saturday Night Main Event drawing 30m. 5m is huge on cable. CNN can't even hit a million total viewers with their primetime lineup. MSNBC does little better aside from Maddow, who definitely isn't pulling Tucker numbers. 

This idea that Tucker is suddenly not relevant is wrong. 

Cable news viewers are old, Fox gets them eyeballs because they appeal to crotchety old conservatives, the liberal channels don't do well because not many people under 50 are watching cable news.  Tucker's reach is not getting bigger than it was on Fox News, sorry.  Bill O'Reilly had millions of viewers and got showed the door, he's still doing his thing, no one cares.  Glenn Beck had millions of viewers, got the boot, is still doing his thing, no one cares.  Now it's Tucker's turn to be a reasonably successful podcaster or something and to not matter at all in any larger conversation.

• True 2
  • Sicko 1
  • Halal 2

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’d argue that the liberal channels and personalities don’t do as well because liberals aren’t typically a cult like current gop.

MAGA has many cult-like attributes. I'll keep my opinion on the cult-like attributes of far-left progressivism to myself.  

10 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Other than MSNBC and CBC in Canada. 
However, our Universities, many school boards and company DEI departments…

If Universities are so "far left" than why are so many influential conversavative thought leaders graduates from elite universities? How did they manage to escape indoctrination? This is a purely rhetorical,  if not sarcastic question so there's no need to answer.

• Halal 1

MSNBC is nowhere near fox in its role as fueling propaganda on US politics and Newsmax and OAN most certainly have no peer. Maddow and Biden aren’t having nightly talks. The right cares about Maddow way more than the left does even. She repeats popular things but she doesn’t make things popular. 

It might be different in Canada, but in America there being large disagreements within and multiple viewpoints on varying degrees on everything actually hurts the left against the right because the right here all gets the same opinion fed to them on literally everything. 

The big difference I guess is that a few fringe far left people might act cult like (though even then there is just zero structure) but literally the entire right in America is a cult right now. 

• Halal 1

Maddow and "far left lol" talking heads aren't spreading an equivalent of white nationalism, Russian propaganda, Christofascism and misogyny ether.  To claim otherwise is disingenuous to the extreme. 

There is no Tucker paranoid crazy logic chain conspiracy bullshit equivalent on MSNBC.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, osxmatt said:

There is no far-left in America.

I dunno I'm practically a full blown commie at this point and I live in America.

There is no far-left consolidated MEDIA in America. I mean there's, what... The Young Turks? Nothing on cable news even gets in the same area code as far-left. It makes sense considering that to be far-left is mutually inclusive with being anti-corporation, which doesn't fly so well in media that's controlled by, well... corporations. As such, any far-left viewpoints are by their very nature decentralized.

One could argue that that's how the far right *should* be, as well, but it's been proven over and over again that that is not the case.

• Halal 1

I've never seen a DEI department and I switch companies about every two years.  DEI initiatives are usually run by HR and leadership.  Also what's with the newfangled right wing grouchy thing with DEI?  Companies have been doing diversity pushes since at least the 90s, a hell of a lot longer than I've been in corporate America.  Are they just playing the hits from old conservative talking points that worked on boomers when they were middle aged?

1 hour ago, finaljedi said:

I've never seen a DEI department and I switch companies about every two years.  DEI initiatives are usually run by HR and leadership.  Also what's with the newfangled right wing grouchy thing with DEI?  Companies have been doing diversity pushes since at least the 90s, a hell of a lot longer than I've been in corporate America.  Are they just playing the hits from old conservative talking points that worked on boomers when they were middle aged?

Every single conservative loves to cosplay as an independent cowboy blazing a trail, but every.single.one has the exact same complaints all at the same time. It's incredible how easily they are taken advantage of.

7 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Every single conservative loves to cosplay as an independent cowboy blazing a trail, but every.single.one has the exact same complaints all at the same time. It's incredible how easily they are taken advantage of.

I think what bothers me is I'm hitting 40 in a couple months and the arguments haven't changed since I was a teenager.  The shit conservatives complained about in the 90s and conservatives are complaining about now are the same, they just update the vocabulary.  Whining about political correctness got swapped out for "anti-woke", diversity stuff got updated to diversity, equity, and inclusion and here they are, still whining, gay people had their time in the crosshairs and now it's time to do the same shit to trans people.  It's just the same thing over and over.

9 hours ago, finaljedi said:

From my POV, the argument has changed from "we are all the same, so treat everyone the same" to "we are all different, so treat everyone differently".