Bipartisan bill aiming to ban TikTok in US being introduced

I was trying to imagine what kind of privacy scandal would need to happen in order for public sentiment to change on this issue, and there isn't much that comes to mind. While I personally don't use TikTok, I think it would be a mistake for the Dems to let this go through, absent some kind of actual smoking gun that could change public perception.

• True 1

6 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I was trying to imagine what kind of privacy scandal would need to happen in order for public sentiment to change on this issue, and there isn't much that comes to mind. While I personally don't use TikTok, I think it would be a mistake for the Dems to let this go through, absent some kind of actual smoking gun that could change public perception.

It would be fine if it was turned into a general social media privacy law and not just specifically banning TikTok.

Is TikTok getting any more data than what the Chinese government just couldn't buy from data brokers?  I mean our own FBI decided it didn't have to bother with a warrant and just purchased location data.  This stuff specifically targeting TikTok should have stopped with not allowing it on government phones, the rest of the effort should have gone into privacy and data handling regulations.

I love how the majority of congressional questions were along the lines of...

"Is it true that Tik Tok is doing the exact same thing that every single social media app does?"

"Uh, Yes"

"OMG!"

Facebook is 10 times creepier and shady and ripe for abuse than Tik Tok is.

Not that some sort of government oversight isn't needed... but what we really need is some sort of grand sweeping privacy protection that covers everything and is written for the modern age...

3 hours ago, Jason said:

It would be fine if it was turned into a general social media privacy law and not just specifically banning TikTok.

I finally bothered to read most of the bill, and as far as I can tell, this bill doesn't have anything to do with privacy, it just provides congress with a way to ban any tech product from a "foreign adversary". The executive branch can already block whole companies by putting them on the entities list, so it really is just about giving congress a way to ban tech they don't like from certain countries. The criteria for allowing some kind of "intervention" (read: ban) is really broad and just requires someone to determine there is an "undue risk" something bad, all of which seems like it's probably already illegal if you could prove they actually do any of this stuff.

I'd be kinda shocked if we don't already have laws that would prohibit China from selling anything over here that would fall under sabotage, catastrophic effects on critical infrastructure, election interference, or risks to national security. I'd argue that it shouldn't matter what country something is from if we think they're trying to do any of those things.

On the other hand, I also think that if the risk is so dire, you should probably be able to make a good case. Seems like this bill is just lowering the threshold on those things low enough that you can pass the extremely vague threat that TikTok supposedly presents under it.

On 3/24/2023 at 11:51 AM, finaljedi said:

Is TikTok getting any more data than what the Chinese government just couldn't buy from data brokers?  I mean our own FBI decided it didn't have to bother with a warrant and just purchased location data.  This stuff specifically targeting TikTok should have stopped with not allowing it on government phones, the rest of the effort should have gone into privacy and data handling regulations.

Even if the answer is no, they'd be removing the middle man and be getting that information more efficiently and affordably. 

Exactly how little faith do you have in your public utility that so many believe that China is about to inherit the divine right of kings and somehow magically turn the world into whatever flavour of dystopia you prefer. It's fitting how a consumption based world like ours default to punitive actions whenever any public relationship goes sour, whether nationstates, or banks, or schools, etc. What the fuck skulduggery do random individuals fear so much? Guano town is still around.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I know the end result of this will be TikTok just selling to another company and nothing really changes (right away) but this is such an own goal for Biden.

Does he think signing a bill banning the most popular social media app with young people is going to win him any good will?

I can't imagine a person who wasn't going to vote for Biden choosing to vote for him because of this... but I sure as shit can imagine a shit ton of people who may have voted for him choosing not to because of this.

My TikTok feed is full of people freaking out about this. It's just gonna get worse.

50 minutes ago, ort said:

I know the end result of this will be TikTok just selling to another company and nothing really changes (right away) but this is such an own goal for Biden.

Does he think signing a bill banning the most popular social media app with young people is going to win him any good will?

I can't imagine a person who wasn't going to vote for Biden choosing to vote for him because of this... but I sure as shit can imagine a shit ton of people who may have voted for him choosing not to because of this.

My TikTok feed is full of people freaking out about this. It's just gonna get worse.

I guess we'll see for sure, but I'm dubious on the effect this will actually have.

Assuming Bytedance loses their lawsuit and for whatever reason they refuse to divest, that wouldn't even happen before the election. So no one's TikTok will go away before they actually vote.

I suppose if TikTok is actually any good at influencing voters, that capability could be put to the test in the following months.

5 hours ago, ort said:

I always find it funny when they show me anti-capitalism stuff... not that that would be completely out of my wheelhouse..

I see lots of Christian homestead brainwashed people.

• Halal 1

WWW.UNIVERSALMUSIC.COM

Universal Music Group and TikTok Announce New Licensing Agreement Los Angeles, May 01, 2024 – Universal Music Group, the world-leader in music-based entertainment and TikTok today announce a new multi-dimensional licensing agreement that will deliver significant industry-leading benefits for UMG’s global family of artists, songwriters and labels and will return their music to TikTok’s billion-plus global...