Metroid Prime Remastered - Out Now! (Physical Version coming Feb 22), first OpenCritic reviews posted

Keyser_Soze

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Man, there are some pretty childish takes here from some pretty jaded adults (and the usual ones, at that). Nintendo's quality and style is the same as it has been since Gamecube; if you think anything has changed, it's almost certainly you. It's like people who enjoyed a show as a 10-year-old complaining when a sequel sucks turd in comparison—maybe you are just different, now, and have different tastes.

I am 100% in agreeance with Nintendo's business practices not being great (online support/systems, hardware not as great as others, making it hard to get older games, etc), but only someone completely blinded by adult insecurity could claim that their quality has dropped off. It's kind of sad seeing the usual few users come in here and claim they don't care about Nintendo anymore...yet keep coming back to make the same tired rage.

Bruh were are joking around busting balls. Stick to current events nerd.

• Haha 1

I’m actually starting to go the other way with remasters lol. I find as I get older I’m less interested in at least the bigger releases. I find a lot of comfort in playing my old tried and true favorites, so I know lots of them are petty cash grabs and I understand peoples’ frustrations with them (though even then I think folks are hyperbolic about it), but every time a game I like gets announced as a remaster I’m pretty happy about it. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I’m actually starting to go the other way with remasters lol. I find as I get older I’m less interested in at least the bigger releases. I find a lot of comfort in playing my old tried and true favorites, so I know lots of them are petty cash grabs and I understand peoples’ frustrations with them (though even then I think folks are hyperbolic about it), but every time a game I like gets announced as a remaster I’m pretty happy about it. 

There's also the aspect of...not everyone played these games back in the day, let alone some of them were not even born yet. So to provide these games on newer systems as ports/remasters/remakes, you'd think more folks would be more excited that more gamers can experience them. But it tends to be more, "Just more rehashes and ports. I want new games, durrr!" You'll get your new games, but it's going to take more time. This isn't the 2000s anymore where a developer could make a AAA game from Concept to Gold in 2 years. 

• Halal 2

Not really sure how this is different from Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - Reunion, which was also something between a remaster and a remake, and everyone gave that game pretty strong reviews, I just played it and it was certainly improved in the same way this looks improved (meaning improved considerably but not a remake). And that game sells for $50 on Steam, which is how I bought and played it. 

I don't really play Nintendo games much anymore, haven't owned one of their consoles since the GameCube/Wii, but this is how it looks to me. You either have to have a problem with both games then or neither since they are analogous.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, stepee said:

Skyward Sword Remaster for $60? Yeah, all day long full rip. But a remake built to about the extent of what the current system can do for $40? That’s fine.

A $40 remake is not fine because we should have gotten the whole trilogy.  Except not, because we actually need Metroid Prime 4 instead of old games.  Retro Studios should have never worked on a remake.  Even if by doing so, they got the job to make Prime 4.  But Prime 4 might have released on aged Switch hardware if they started sooner, which would suck.  But nevermind that, fuck remakes.  They're cash grabs excused by desperate fanboys. 

Only it's cool that EA gives a shit about Dead Space again.  But not really, because fuck, that's a remake too.  If only 343i didn't focus on the Master Chief Collection, Halo Infinite would still be alive.  I'm ready and primed to shit on a Bloodborne remake next.  But maybe not, because it'd be on a modern console.  But probably, because even $40 is too much!  The Goldeneye ports we got is the Goldeneye we deserve! ARGGHHHH!  

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

A $40 remake is not fine because we should have gotten the whole trilogy.  Except not, because we actually need Metroid Prime 4 instead of old games.  Retro Studios should have never worked on a remake.  Even if by doing so, they got the job to make Prime 4.  But Prime 4 might have released on aged Switch hardware if they started sooner, which would suck.  But nevermind that, fuck remakes.  They're cash grabs excused by desperate fanboys. 

Only it's cool that EA gives a shit about Dead Space again.  But not really, because fuck, that it's a remake too.  If only 343i didn't focus on the Master Chief Collection, Halo Infinite would still be alive.  I'm ready and primed to shit on a Bloodborne remake next.  But maybe not, because it'd be on a modern console.  But probably, because it'd be $70!  ARGGHHHH!

Sounds like you have a huge beef with remakes/remasters then. 

35 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

There's also the aspect of...not everyone played these games back in the day, let alone some of them were not even born yet. So to provide these games on newer systems as ports/remasters/remakes, you'd think more folks would be more excited that more gamers can experience them. But it tends to be more, "Just more rehashes and ports. I want new games, durrr!" You'll get your new games, but it's going to take more time. This isn't the 2000s anymore where a developer could make a AAA game from Concept to Gold in 2 years. 

On a serious note, I really enjoy seeing people experience games like this for the first time.  I’m not someone who spends my time replaying games ofren, but it’s fun to read impressions to kind of relive it that way.

• Like 1

On a serious note I just watched a video review and they said it's more like a remake rather than a remaster. They said the controls are so good now it actually makes the game extremely easy. Overall they said it's a 10/10 so for those getting it will be in for a nice treat. 

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

On a serious note, I really enjoy seeing people experience games like this for the first time.  I’m not someone who spends my time replaying games ofren, but it’s fun to read impressions to kind of relive it that way.

What I'm finding myself doing is kind of hybrid of the two. I'm playing new games, but they're still old. So I'm playing Hollow Knight for the first time right now, but then on the flip side I'm replaying Xenoblade Chronicles for the 3rd time, but it's the Definitive Edition on Switch that I've never played. 

I'm less inclined these days to buy games day one because of my back log, but then find my self replaying the same games on other systems. I'm also playing Doom 2016 off and on, and this is the third time I've played it, and on a 3rd different system (Played it first on PS4, sold that, got it for Switch, played that, and now have it on PC, and played on Deck). 

And then playing Ass Creed Unity on PC, which I've never played before. I kind of just go with the flow when it comes to play games these days. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't really play Nintendo games much anymore, haven't owned one of their consoles since the GameCube/Wii, but this is how it looks to me. You either have to have a problem with both games then or neither since they are analogous.

Buy it for me and then I'll let you cum over and play it on my switch. :kiss:

• Haha 1
  • Sicko 1

Its odd that Samus’ shots had their own light source that followed the projectile and illuminated areas as they flew until impact… yet the effect has been eliminated from every release after the GC original.. wonder what the beef is there..

Environmental effects dont look as pronounced as before… A solid remaster, certainly the art style change is more tolerable than how it was with Wind Waker

• True 1

I really really wanted a third person 3D Metroid game that was the Mario 64 to Super Metroid and I still would like that some day. I was pretty bummed when Prime launched that it was first person so I never gave it an honest chance and same with the sequels but I think I’m ready to just accept Prime as it’s own thing now and be prepped for Prime 4. So I’m gonna give this a shot - about how long is it? 

Gotta say it looks great on the oled screen, reminds me that Switch games never had to get as bad as some have been looking, they just needed to remember the target specs and target appropriately. Game is smooth.

I also have a feeling I’m going to like this way more than I would have otherwise with dual analog controls now. Also all this time I kinda didn’t realize it was exactly a metroid game but in first person lol. I was playing the beginning and had a moment where I was like “oooh this is a first person metroidvania game!” then was like o wait ya duh

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

@stepee Oh it’s a full on Metroid game for sure. You’re gonna be getting new items and constantly backtracking through every level using them all! It’s a blast! It’s not a massive game, maybe 12-15 hours, more if you’re a real completionist. 

This and also stepee I know you don't like difficult games but with the new control scheme they said it makes the game really easy and extremely enjoyable. Metroid Prime is absolutely phenomenal so enjoy.

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

This and also stepee I know you don't like difficult games but with the new control scheme they said it makes the game really easy and extremely enjoyable. Metroid Prime is absolutely phenomenal so enjoy.

yeah there is also an easy mode :D idk if that was there before or not

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Brian said:

Bought it and it looks pretty good. I think the HUD feels a bit overwhelming so far. It takes up way too much screen real estate. I’m sure it will bother me less the longer I play. 

I read you can adjust it in settings, at least the opacity.

Instant love! I was concerned that this game wouldn't look good on the big screen but its looks great and the atmosphere is as compelling, to me, as the first time I played it on the GC! The dual stick controls are quite the upgrade, though you will find yourself using the lockon quite  a bit as the weight of the retical is heavy and imprecise. The music and sound effects are a pure nostalgia bomb to the heart! I'm playing this in the dark with headphones and I think it captures the mood quit well! :sun:

• Like 3
  • Halal 2

5 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Instant love! I was concerned that this game wouldn't look good on the big screen but its looks great and the atmosphere is as compelling, to me, as the first time I played it on the GC! The dual stick controls are quite the upgrade, though you will find yourself using the lockon quite  a bit as the weight of the retical is heavy and imprecise. The music and sound effects are a pure nostalgia bomb to the heart! I'm playing this in the dark with headphones and I think it captures the mood quit well! :sun:

Crap. I will pry end up buying this today. 

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1