Metroid Prime Remastered - Out Now! (Physical Version coming Feb 22), first OpenCritic reviews posted

Keyser_Soze

39 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

When I buy this, the IGN walkthrough will be bookmarked in my phone. Gone are the days when I’m happy to spend more than 5 minutes working something out. 

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It's difficult even with a walkthrough.  😆 

Or maybe they could make a game that wasn’t ass

Just now, best3444 said:

Definitely not ass...I suck at these types of games. I'm still having a great time and I'll eventually move forward. 

The shitty map design, constant back tracking, and endless wasted time being lost and looking shit up seems to be an ongoing problem with this series. They could and should do better.

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

The shitty map design, constant back tracking, and endless wasted time being lost and looking shit up seems to be an ongoing problem with this series. They could and should do better.

If you don’t like backtracking, then you bought the wrong game.  It’s been the core of the design since the very beginning.  It’s like complaint that Resident Evil has zombies.  Besides it’s what, a 12 hour game?  There’s not that much backtracking.

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, LazyPiranha said:

If you don’t like backtracking, then you bought the wrong game.  It’s been the core of the design since the very beginning.  It’s like complaint that Resident Evil has zombies.  Besides it’s what, a 12 hour game?  There’s not that much backtracking.

12 hours of ass is 12 to much

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

It has one of the most revered 3D maps of all time but go off 

One man’s ass is another man’s revered map 🤷‍♀️

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

Making progress without a guide. Good stuff. 

I haven't looked up anything and have gotten stuck a few times and just had to walk away. I had a really good run last night and found the ball bomb and the suit that lets you go into the hot areas finally so I'm progressing well now. I have been actually using my phone to take some pictures and then using my note 8's stylus drawing places to revisit with what upgrade is needed, etc. This and also used to to remember where not to go taking pictures of places I know I can't go into so's to make better understanding where i've been and have not been!

GREAT GAME THOUGH, JUST BEAT THE giant praying mantis flower what ever thingy last night found the hot suit and save for a run tonight!

28 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

If Biggie had his way we’d only ever have games that scrolled from left to right.

No. But we would have games that wouldn’t have the player look up stuff, have a guided walkthrough loaded and ready to go, and take pictures with their smart phone so they could remember where to backtrack to find upgradable things. All the while getting stuck because they don’t know what the fuck to do or where to go and wasting time. 

5 hours ago, Biggie said:

No. But we would have games that wouldn’t have the player look up stuff, have a guided walkthrough loaded and ready to go, and take pictures with their smart phone so they could remember where to backtrack to find upgradable things. All the while getting stuck because they don’t know what the fuck to do or where to go and wasting time. 

I did it just fine without guides or smartphones back in 2002.  It’s not obtuse.  It’s easy to parse for these types of games.  Much more than the series was before it in 2D.  Prime is simpler to navigate, find your bearings in, and resorts to fewer cheap tricks like dummy walls and tiles that can stunt progress.  It gently points you in a direction with its hint system, and you absolutely don’t have to find and collect everything.  You can make out pretty okay following the critical path as you come to it.  Which again, is not that hard to follow. 

Never play Hollowknight if Metroid Prime 1 is too much for you.  You should probably avoid some of the harder Zeldas as well. (Master Quest, Oracle of Ages, etc). Some great games aren’t for everyone. 

4 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Backtracking is only a crime in this series when it directly tells you to go find a number of key items to progress.  One of the few things Retro gets wrong.

Echoes is also the worst offender, by far.

Funnily enough I watched an interview the other night with one of the original developers, and they said Japan was the one to push the keys at the end because the team was constantly afraid the game wouldn't be long enough. I don't expect Prime 4 to have a last minute key gathering unless they view it as "tradition" at this point. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Funnily enough I watched an interview the other night with one of the original developers, and they said Japan was the one to push the keys at the end because the team was constantly afraid the game wouldn't be long enough. I don't expect Prime 4 to have a last minute key gathering unless they view it as "tradition" at this point. 

At least the energy cells in 3 unlocked more of a side area when you collected more of them.  I could be okay with something like that again.

4 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

At least the energy cells in 3 unlocked more of a side area when you collected more of them.  I could be okay with something like that again.

Yeah gameplay-wise the implementation was best in 3 since you didn't even need to get all of them to get to the final area, but narrative-wise it was probably the worst because if you didn't have enough, and didn't already put them in the Valhalla ship, then when you're told to go take control of the Leviathan orbiting the Pirate Homeworld you can't, and you need to go do that first before proceeding to the final battle. I think it killed the pacing the most because 3 had a more traditional narrative structure with characters talking to you, and whatnot. 

16 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I did it just fine without guides or smartphones back in 2002.  It’s not obtuse.  It’s easy to parse for these types of games.  Much more than the series was before it in 2D.  Prime is simpler to navigate, find your bearings in, and resorts to fewer cheap tricks like dummy walls and tiles that can stunt progress.  It gently points you in a direction with its hint system, and you absolutely don’t have to find and collect everything.  You can make out pretty okay following the critical path as you come to it.  Which again, is not that hard to follow. 

Never play Hollowknight if Metroid Prime 1 is too much for you.  You should probably avoid some of the harder Zeldas as well. (Master Quest, Oracle of Ages, etc). Some great games aren’t for everyone. 

I'm going through Hollow Knight for the first time as we speak, and about 30 or so hours in, and it's been a blast to play after the first 15 or so hrs of getting the hang of the mechanics, and such. Compared to Prime like you said, HK is brutal, and does not hold your hand. Some people love it, and others hate it. I love not requiring a guide, and just literally going where I feel like it. It begs to be explored without a guide I'm realizing. And I feel Prime falls squarely into that realm as well, but with actual hints, and stuff to help steer you in the direction. 

But that's Metroidvania in a nutshell. Gamers either love them, or they don't. Prime is clearly a Metroidvania, but in a Three-dimensional space. 

• Halal 1

16 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

….so the “hint” system that tells people where to go is missing?

12 hours ago, best3444 said:

I see hint but don't know how to select it. 

It's the same hint system that's been in the game since the original release, I believe. Every once in a while, you'll get an alert about an anomaly and a prompt to open your map, which will then show you the next place to go. You still have to figure out how to get there, but it helps focus your exploration. Like the last hint I got was helpful, but also I would have found where to go eventually because I was going through the map and finding all the doors I could unlock with my new ice beam. 

The hint system is inconsistent because early in the game it tells you to go to some places and you can’t yet (cuz you lack 1-2 items to get there). Then later in the game it’s pretty consistently like, ok you got this now, go here, and there’s not much more to it. It’s frustrating to have the combo. 

Man, the back half of this game is sooo satisfying. Once you have most of the upgrades and can really start tearing through the world, the artifact hunt is pretty fun. Sure, you’re going back through the same rooms a bunch of times, but it’s so much easier and faster. And I had forgotten just how explicitly it tells you how to get most of the artifacts. I could have saved myself some travel time by collecting some of those along the way, but I vaguely remembered getting frustrated in a previous playthrough where I kept not having the right tool for the job, so I think it’s ultimately fine to wait until you have everything else to really put time into the hunt. 

I played like 4 hours straight this morning. Taking a break for lunch, then I’ll probably finish it. 

• Halal 2
  • Sicko Sherman 1

5 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Man, the back half of this game is sooo satisfying. Once you have most of the upgrades and can really start tearing through the world, the artifact hunt is pretty fun. Sure, you’re going back through the same rooms a bunch of times, but it’s so much easier and faster. And I had forgotten just how explicitly it tells you how to get most of the artifacts. I could have saved myself some travel time by collecting some of those along the way, but I vaguely remembered getting frustrated in a previous playthrough where I kept not having the right tool for the job, so I think it’s ultimately fine to wait until you have everything else to really put time into the hunt. 

I played like 4 hours straight this morning. Taking a break for lunch, then I’ll probably finish it. 

AGREE!

After the initial couple hours it all just starts to click. I played 3 hours last night and got the super missile, spider ball, double jump & Thermal visor I'm up to 30 missiles and 6 life tanks! I have not looked up anything and I'm glad I didn't. It's ok to actually use memory and explore, explore. I'm not saying everyone likes this style but I think it's brilliant and it's why WE {Well, "I"} Hold Nintendo in such high regard! I also might add that I, unhooked my ps4 and docked the Switch to use my dusty Pro controller. I had forgotten just how fantastic this controller is! The sticks are a different kind of smooth, just creamy like. Loving this game, I truly am and I'll be finished this weekend. I still have the newest side scrolling one to play on Switch, better get on that before Metroid4 comes out lol!

Tonight I'm out for how to open those WHITE doors {Frost beam I'm guessing} and that illusive grapple hook!

Funny note: I was playing last night and accidently held the right trigger a bit too long and I saw a life globe MOVE TOWARDS me!!! I was  shocked! I thought I had to "REFIND" the trackerbeam UPGRADE thingy that sucks things to you?!. You lose EVERYTHING in the beginning I thought that was gone as well!!! I had a good laugh at that.