Metroid Prime Remastered - Out Now! (Physical Version coming Feb 22), first OpenCritic reviews posted

Keyser_Soze

16 minutes ago, best3444 said:

If I was 8 years old it would be a cool system I guess.

Whilst Nintendo offers content for a mature audience, the evidence we have seen suggests that its most popular titles are targeted at a family audience. However, we also note the Parties’ submission above that the actual distribution of gamers by age on the Switch is not very different to Xbox or PlayStation.

Hahaha.  Thank you Microsoft, Activision and the UK for this little nugget of truth.

14 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Nintendo is garbage for my gaming tastes. I think I played 3-4 games since the Switch was released. I don't like Pokémon or any other Japanese rpgs and that's basically what they offer. If I was 8 years old it would be a cool system I guess. 

I loved the GameCube because that's when they actually made great games for all audiences. The Wii was a gimmick and the Switch is a handheld which I despise. I know basically everyone who posts here loves Nintendo and will hate this post but it's just my opinion. If you guys like their online, games, and no price drops then more power to you. 

:shrug:

kingsley shut up GIF

• True 1
  • Halal 1

19 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

My tinfoil hat says Retro not only did this, and had been done for sometime given how it was a stealth drop, but they're working on, or have worked on remastered the rest of the trilogy in prep for Prime 4 coming out later on.

They have been reportedly sitting on this and the two Zelda games for a while now. That's why Jeff Grubb had to cut his hair because they were supposed to announce it at the last direct but they said "fuck your hair!" :p

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They have been reportedly sitting on this and the two Zelda games for a while now. That's why Jeff Grubb had to cut his hair because they were supposed to announce it at the last direct but they said "fuck your hair!" :p

Not only that, but I think it was the Gamingleaksandrumors Subreddit when the rumor came out the Direct would happen on the week of the 6th, and some folks said it wouldn't happen because the Investor's meeting was that week, and they don't do Directs the same week. I honestly don't know if that's actually true, but if so, I find it absolutely hilarious. 

Nintendo may be greedy at times, but they're not stupid. They know their audience better than we do. 

39 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Nintendo is garbage for my gaming tastes. I think I played 3-4 games since the Switch was released. I don't like Pokémon or any other Japanese rpgs and that's basically what they offer. If I was 8 years old it would be a cool system I guess. 

I loved the GameCube because that's when they actually made great games for all audiences. The Wii was a gimmick and the Switch is a handheld which I despise. I know basically everyone who posts here loves Nintendo and will hate this post but it's just my opinion. If you guys like their online, games, and no price drops then more power to you. 

:shrug:

Adults in their 20s/30s are far and away the largest demographic on Switch.

1 minute ago, Bjomesphat said:

Yeah, and I think Gen Xers also take up a sizable portion of the demographic too. I want to say between Millennials, and Gen X, that's about 2/3rds of the install base. 

demographics-2022.jpg
NINTENDOEVERYTHING.COM

Nintendo has provided an updated look at the age distribution of annual playing users on Switch, which we have above. President Shuntaro Furukawa pointed out in a briefing today that there are all types of users ranging from kids to seniors. Over the past year, the number of annual playing users has grown across all age groups. Also highlighted is...

Just now, Bjomesphat said:

I know. I was being sarcastic with the 8 year old comment. If you guys enjoy Nintendo then that's terrific. I think I litteraly hate them at this point.  😆 

That being said, as a gamer, I'll probably buy Zelda and the Switch 2 because when Nintendo makes their first party titles they are usually special. It's just that they release those titles once every 4-5 years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

I know. I was being sarcastic with the 8 year old comment. If you guys enjoy Nintendo then that's terrific. I think I litteraly hate them at this point.  😆 

That being said, as a gamer, I'll probably buy Zelda and the Switch 2 because when Nintendo makes their first party titles they are usually special. It's just that they release those titles once every 4-5 years.

I get that. I hate Nintendo sometimes too, even though I continue to buy their shit. :lol:

I'm actually finding myself being less and less a PlayStation person, and going exclusively Nintendo, and PC these days. That could change though in the future. If Sony somehow or another made a new PS5 version that played all previous consoles, I'd buy it straight away. 

• Halal 1

I've also gone from being a lifetime massive Nintendo die-hard loyalist to someone who has totally soured on them in general... but at some point, it just gets tiresome. Complaining about video game platforms and whatnot. Who cares at this point. I've just moved on. I still play a Nintendo game here and there, but it's really not the same.

Let people like what they like.

That said, I think I will buy this. I don't really have a good way to play Prime and it is one of my all time favorites, so while I hate how Nintendo just recycles all of their old stuff all the time (for terrible prices) I would get $40 dollars of value from this.

• True 2

2 minutes ago, ort said:

I've also gone from being a lifetime massive Nintendo die-hard loyalist to someone who has totally soured on them in general... but at some point, it just gets tiresome. Complaining about video game platforms and whatnot. Who cares at this point. I've just moved on. I still play a Nintendo game here and there, but it's really not the same.

Let people like what they like.

Yup. That's basically what I was implying. 

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Actually the only comment I found strange was about the Gamecube. I really don't see a big difference between their Switch output and what they were doing on the Cube. Honestly, I'd say this is Nintendo at its best since the 90s.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

It's cool to hate on any of the three console makers until they do something you genuinely like.  And then its supposedly a one off because you're still too biased against them. :p

Game release schedules work like that.  You won't get what you specifically want all the time from a single publisher when games take years to produce.  Besides, you'd probably be unfairly dismissing a whole ream of good shit you'd actually end up enjoying a lot with a better attitude and an open mind.

It's games like Returnal, Hi-Fi Rush, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, etc, that should remind everyone that the negativity cycle is total bullshit.  "Sony The Game."  "Microsoft's games never materialize as they should."  "Nintendo keeps making the same thing over and over, I grew out of it."  Fuck off with that noise.

• Halal 1

Some weird takes in this thread with the basic criticism being that Nintendo is releasing games on switch still. 

This is running at 60fps at what looks to be at least close to native res undocked on the Switch. It looks about as good as is probably possible given that. It’s honestly one of the nicest looking Switch games especially of those without a cartoony style.

If you are upset this doesn’t look better you just wish they would have waited until a Switch 2, which, kinda same, but acting like it’s ridiculous for Nintendo to charge $40 for it is just silly and part of a much larger criticism that has nothing to do with this game so it’s weird to single it out.

Skyward Sword Remaster for $60? Yeah, all day long full rip. But a remake built to about the extent of what the current system can do for $40? That’s fine.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

Nintendo is really the only one of the big three whose output I consistently enjoy.  The Switch has one of the best console libraries of all time at this point, and Nintendo's first party games all have the same special charge that's always distinguished them within the industry.  And while solid performance certainly matters, the continual push for better and more complex visuals on these other platforms is detrimental to game development and the returns are continually diminishing.  We could have the Switch for another 10 years and still get games that have far more interesting and singular gameplay design than the competition.

As for Metroid Prime, this seems like a substantial upgrade.  From what I can tell, the term "remaster" doesn't really do this justice.  I'm excited to get this at some point soon and go through it again.

34 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Actually the only comment I found strange was about the Gamecube. I really don't see a big difference between their Switch output and what they were doing on the Cube. Honestly, I'd say this is Nintendo at its best since the 90s.

I think they've been remarkably consistent in having one major dry period for each of their consoles, with their own games.  For the Gamecube, it was definitely near the end of its lifespan.  People have rose-tinted glasses about that console these days.

Their on-periods since have pretty much all delivered the quality bar they traditionally hit.  It's not always in the franchises people loved in the early 00's, but it's there.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Some weird takes in this thread with the basic criticism being that Nintendo is releasing games on switch still. 

This is running at 60fps at what looks to be at least close to native res undocked on the Switch. It looks about as good as is probably possible given that. It’s honestly one of the nicest looking Switch games especially of those without a cartoony style.

If you are upset this doesn’t look better you just wish they would have waited until a Switch 2, which, kinda same, but acting like it’s ridiculous for Nintendo to charge $40 for it is just silly and part of a much larger criticism that has nothing to do with this game so it’s weird to single it out.

Skyward Sword Remaster for $60? Yeah, all day long full rip. But a remake built to about the extent of what the current system can do for $40? That’s fine.

What is interesting is games like Demon Souls, TLOU, Dead Space, etc all got remakes/remasters, and those were all full price if I'm not mistaken. Then this comes out as sort of a hybrid of a remaster/remake for a more budget price, and some folks (not exclusively here) complain about it. Hell, TLOU Part 1 is the most egregious of them all, but that's neither here nor there. 

The SS Remaster is interesting because on the one hand it's really just an upres with maybe some slightly clearer textures, there were some QOL improvements to the game itself, including control options, AND the boost to 60fps vs. 30 in the original. Now, do I consider that worthy of full price? No, you're absolutely right. Though a 40 price tag would've been perfect for sure. Even SS wasn't just simple rush job, but still does not justify its price. 

• True 1
  • Halal 2

12 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

What is interesting is games like Demon Souls, TLOU, Dead Space, etc all got remakes/remasters, and those were all full price if I'm not mistaken. Then this comes out as sort of a hybrid of a remaster/remake for a more budget price, and some folks (not exclusively here) complain about it. Hell, TLOU Part 1 is the most egregious of them all, but that's neither here nor there.

It's because everyone wants to repeat in some form or fashion that the Switch is too old.  Yes, we get it.  We know.

These people should just enjoy it in an emulator, to stick it to the man with their too-good-for-Nintendo PCs.  At least that way they might come to understand (if not appreciate) the effort here.

• True 1

While I am bummed that a trilogy wasn’t released since I never played any of the games, I am glad to see publishers start to use different price points for games. $40 for a remaster is fair to me. Both MP and EO are releasing at the point. SpongeBob Cosmic Shake released at $40. I hope to see this trend continue.

• Halal 1

Also daily reminder that these remasters/remakes very rarely take the place of new entries/new games. If these went away you’d end up with maybe some extra weird AA games that the teams that work on these could do instead, but more likely just would get less employees getting paid out of it.

Half of these are out sourced to other teams that have nothing to do with the games you want new entries in and the other half are just replacements for internal testbed demos you never would have seen anyway.

Biggest exception I can think of is RE2R might have taken the place of an actual entry but thats because it’s treated like an actual new entry and is updated/changed to reflect that.

Even Dead Space Remake, I don’t think there is a world where we would have seen a Dead Space 4 around now if we didn’t have the remake, but due to the success of this 2 1/2 year project and getting a team versed on the Ip, now it’s likely that’s coming sooner than it otherwise would have.

• Like 1
  • Halal 2

9 minutes ago, Brian said:

While I am bummed that a trilogy wasn’t released since I never played any of the games, I am glad to see publishers start to use different price points for games. $40 for a remaster is fair to me. Both MP and EO are releasing at the point. SpongeBob Cosmic Shake released at $40. I hope to see this trend continue.

If you've got a Switch... please go buy and download this ASAP.

Metroid Prime is a classic, maybe the best in the series, maybe the best game in the 'Metroidvania' genre full stop.  To be done justice like this makes this remaster a must play if you've never experienced it.

I've got minor quibbles with it, but it's still an easy 10 / 10 by today's standards.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

Just now, crispy4000 said:

It's because everyone wants to repeat in some form or fashion that the Switch is too old.  Yes, we get it.  We know.

These people should just enjoy it in an emulator to stick it to the man with their too-good-for-Nintendo PCs.

They're the same type of people who complain when Toyota doesn't provide a new generation of their 4Runner quickly enough. God Damn thing still sells hot cakes despite how old it is. And as long as the Switch continues to sell well, Nintendo can hold off as long as they want if you ask me. I'm not even mad at this point because I have a Steam Deck to keep my handheld urges occupied, but of course others aren't so fortunate. 

Even with the Switch 2, it won't be PS5 levels of graphics anyway. More like PS4/PS4 Pro, which is perfect for a handheld. And even by then, people will complain about it being too underpowered. :silly:

1 minute ago, imthesoldier said:

They're the same type of people who complain when Toyota doesn't provide a new generation of their 4Runner quickly enough. God Damn thing still sells hot cakes despite how old it is. And as long as the Switch continues to sell well, Nintendo can hold off as long as they want if you ask me. I'm not even mad at this point because I have a Steam Deck to keep my handheld urges occupied, but of course others aren't so fortunate. 

Even with the Switch 2, it won't be PS5 levels of graphics anyway. More like PS4/PS4 Pro, which is perfect for a handheld. And even by then, people will complain about it being too underpowered. :silly:

Switch 2 with built in DLSS

pre GIF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I know my opinion is garbage here and that's fine. You have much different tastes in games than I do. You don't play some of the greatest games ever made because you're "scared" lol. I don't tell you to shut up, though. :/

You are right. I'm sorry. What I meant to say is you're stupid and your opinion is not only wrong but total trash.  Love you

• Shocked 1
  • Sicko 1

Man, there are some pretty childish takes here from some pretty jaded adults (and the usual ones, at that). Nintendo's quality and style is the same as it has been since Gamecube; if you think anything has changed, it's almost certainly you. It's like people who enjoyed a show as a 10-year-old complaining when a sequel sucks turd in comparison—maybe you are just different, now, and have different tastes.

I am 100% in agreeance with Nintendo's business practices not being great (online support/systems, hardware not as great as others, making it hard to get older games, etc), but only someone completely blinded by adult insecurity could claim that their quality has dropped off. It's kind of sad seeing the usual few users come in here and claim they don't care about Nintendo anymore...yet keep coming back to make the same tired rage.

• Halal 2