Metroid Prime Remastered - Out Now! (Physical Version coming Feb 22), first OpenCritic reviews posted

Keyser_Soze

18 minutes ago, best3444 said:

The new control scheme makes the game very easy but I guess that's a good thing? All I've read was how great it is now.

The game really wasn’t that hard in the first place.  My biggest issue with MP1 generally is that it relied too much on Beam/Visor switching to provide challenge by the end.  (That and the stupid keys)

Prime 2 is much harder in the balance of things, especially before difficulty got scaled back in the Trilogy edition.  Prime 3 would also rely more on good aim, being designed for motion.  If they ever got a similar treatment I think it’d be less of an issue.

8 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

The game really wasn’t that hard in the first place.  My biggest issue with MP1 generally is that it relied too much on Beam/Visor switching to provide challenge by the end.  (That and the stupid keys)

Prime 2 is much harder in the balance of things, especially before difficulty got scaled back in the Trilogy edition.  Prime 3 would also rely more on good aim, being designed for motion.  If they ever got a similar treatment I think it’d be less of an issue.

I completely forget how MP on Cube even controlled. The reviews I read said it was constant lock on to kill enemies due to no duel analog control. Now that it controls like current FPS's they say the game is a joke to play. One review said there will be no hit playthroughs online lol. 

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I completely forget how MP on Cube even controlled. The reviews I read said it was constant lock on to kill enemies due to no duel analog control. Now that it controls like current FPS's they say the game is a joke to play. One review said there will be no hit playthroughs online lol. 

The analogue stick was your movement and your look, so you had to lock on to stuff. It feels archaic nowadays, but considering the shit design of the Cube controller it made sense at the time. Prime never quite felt just right to me because of that pad, even in that time and place. I have put just about 30 mins in with the remake now and it feels so excellent to control with a dual stick layout. It will be easier, but the original was not really that hard? It was more confusing on where to go, and if it was hard on a boss fight a lot of it was due to that clumsy control pattern (IMO) rather than outright difficult. 

• Halal 1

The most annoying thing in the original release (and MP2) was the need to hold R to free look / aim.  For a game designed with lots of verticality in exploration, that definitely didn’t fit it very well.  It’s kind of like what RE4 was on the system, but you get used to it as you can there.

With combat, I think the lock on and circle strafe system worked great.  It was unique to FPSs for the time, and still is today.  The whole idea of a FPS where the aiming is mostly taken care for you allowed them to design boss fights in a different way, culminating in MP2’s bosses being very difficult, and fun.  MP3 lost something in that transition, but that might be because too many enemies/bosses were damage sponges.

I’m in the clear minority that thought the local multiplayer mode in MP2 wasn’t half bad.  I know I’ll never see it remade because of everyone else’s opinions, but lock-on + dual analog would be interesting there.  Kind of a hybrid of what Retro tried and NST with Hunters.

• Like 1

Game Information

Game Title: Metroid Prime Remastered

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Feb 8, 2023)

Developer: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 95 average - 100% recommended

Critic Reviews

AusGamers - 10 / 10

I could have written an essay on its brilliant design, but instead I let it take me on a trip down memory lane while also feeling lucky to be playing a game in 2023 with such gravity, that it sinks everything else around it. Metroid Prime Remastered is perfection.

But Why Tho? - 10 / 10

Metroid Prime Remastered is the gold standard for how to remaster an old game. Retro Studios have earned a reputation as one of the best game developers in the business, perfecting the balance between nostalgia and modern game development. Fans of the original Metroid Prime and newcomers to the franchise alike are in for an absolute treat.

COGconnected - 100 / 100

Metroid Prime Remastered is an example of how a remaster should be done. There were no real changes to gameplay, visuals or anything like that. Just some minor improvements, such as added control schemes, to help modernize it a bit. Aside from some lengthy load times when you’re initially getting into the game or loading a save, the game really has no faults. It’s designed to encourage exploration and experimentation, but if you get lost, you’ll be nudged in the direction you need to go eventually. There are ample amounts of lore in the game, giving plenty of nods to past Metroid games. While it would have been better if the entire Metroid Prime trilogy was included here, I won’t complain too much as long as the next two games arrive remastered prior to Metroid Prime 4.

Forbes - 10 / 10

Overall, Metroid Prime Remastered is an astonishingly accurate remake of a definitive gaming classic. Not only in terms of its excellent visuals but also how it plays nearly identically to the original. Even for a game that’s now over two decades old, Metroid Prime still feels as fresh and as functionally relevant as ever. If only more modern first-person games had level design as good as this.

GGRecon - 5 / 5

It's rare that a game with 2002 feels, or even looks, as good as Metroid Prime Remastered in 2023. And yet, Retro Studios has somehow managed it -- even with no prior knowledge and a lack of history with the franchise, Metroid Prime Remastered is one of the best Switch games you can buy right now.

God is a Geek - 10 / 10

Metroid Prime Remastered is the best remaster on Switch to date by some margin, which is saying a lot. Still essential after all these years.

Hardcore Gamer - 5 / 5

Already a masterstroke of design and execution on original release, Metroid Prime Remastered goes one better in cementing Retro's debut Metroid outing as one of gaming's greatest evolutions of a series.

IGN - 10 / 10

Metroid Prime Remastered honors a lauded classic and brings it up to code, fixing outdated controls and adding a slick coat of polygons and textures that make this masterpiece of a shooter shine once more.

Metro GameCentral - 10 / 10

An excellent remaster of one of the best games of its generation, that looks and plays so well you could easily mistake it for a modern game.

MonsterVine - 5 / 5

Metroid Prime Remastered is the best of the best. It improves every aspect of the original Gamecube game while offering different control schemes, accessibility options, and features for fans to take advantage of. Whether or not you’ve played Metroid Prime before, this is the absolute best way to experience (or re-experience) one of Nintendo’s best.

Niche Gamer - 10 / 10

Using the morph ball, speeding up on halfpipes, doing bomb jumps, platforming, finding switches, and getting into scrapes with monsters and aliens is as exciting as it was in 2002. Metroid Prime Remastered is one of the most polished and refined first-person action-adventure games ever made and comparing it to Citizen Kane is still the stupidest statement ever uttered by man.

Nintendo Life - 10 / 10

With Metroid Prime Remastered, the seemingly impossible has been achieved: a masterpiece has been made even better. The minor issues we have with the motion controls and the occasional visual hiccup pale in comparison to the enhancements that have been made here. The visual improvements are extensive, right through to the minor details, and it all comes together to create one of the best-looking games on Switch, remaster or not. The new twin-stick control setup works flawlessly for both veterans and newcomers, but if you're itching to go back to the original GameCube controls, that option is there too. With an expanded gallery feature to round things out, Metroid Prime Remastered feels like a new benchmark in how older games can be thoughtfully revitalised for the modern age.

NintendoWorldReport - 10 / 10

It is loyal to the original in its re-working of its art, yet unafraid to push the absolute boundaries of those original designs. The underlying brilliance of Retro's original masterpiece shines forth from this new shell, pristine as ever. This is the definitive release of one of the greatest video games ever made, and an incredible glimpse into the future of the Prime series.

PCMag - 5 / 5

Featuring gorgeous graphics, revamped controls, and a budget price, Metroid Prime Remastered gives Nintendo's glorious FPS classic the update and new audience it deserves.

Prima Games - 10 / 10

Metroid Prime’s iron-clad pedestal makes even more sense today in our post-Dread world, showing what it actually means for an outside party to treat a creative work with some serious reverence.

Pure Nintendo - 10 / 10

Metroid Prime Remastered is an amazing return of Metroid Prime and one of the best video games released for Nintendo Switch. Its masterful remaster takes an already amazing game and enhances every detail for modern audiences. Its amazing graphics, improved environmental and character details, smooth gameplay presentation and modern control scheme make Metroid Prime Remastered perfect for anyone wanting to get into the series or longtime fans looking to get back into its high point. There's really nothing bad to be said about Metroid Prime Remastered. It's one of the best remastered games Nintendo's ever done and at $40, it's an absolute steal for the high quality experience you're going to get. Don't hesitate for a moment, go out and buy Metroid Prime Remastered.

Screen Rant - 5 / 5

After Metroid Prime 4's development was restarted in 2019, Metroid Dread and now Metroid Prime Remastered are reminders that Retro Studios and Nintendo have an iconic, evocative, and gripping sci-fi series that unfortunately now sees only sporadic releases. Luckily, the brilliance of Metroid Prime now has a chance to reach a much larger audience. The original 2002 release impressed with its bold new direction for the series, and now the definitive version of the classic has arrived in Metroid Prime Remastered.

Stevivor - 10 / 10

Metroid Prime Remastered is a must play masterpiece, regardless of if you were there on the GameCube or if this is your first time exploring Tallon IV. Such is the quality of the original release, the gameplay holds up on its own accord, as some of the best in the genre, two decades later. It’s brought to a modern audience with completely overhauled high-definition textures across the entire game. It looks great and is so faithfully recreated, Metroid Prime Remastered is presented exactly how your nostalgic mind remembers it, for those who have been here before. Delivered with a modern control scheme that works very well, and excellent performance perfectly tailored to the ageing Nintendo Switch, Metroid Prime is one of the greatest games of all-time – now it’s also one of the best remasters ever made.

Twinfinite - 5 / 5

Metroid Prime Remastered sets what should be the standard for remastered games going forward. This title is arguably the best-looking game on the Switch and captures the magic of the original all over again. Metroid Prime Remastered reminded the world why people consider this one of the greatest games ever made.

Use a Potion - 10 / 10

Metroid Prime Remastered takes a classic release and improves every aspect of it, with the game looking and feeling even better than ever before. The controls are sublime, the visuals are superb, whilst the excellent gameplay has stood the test of time, with it clear that a lot of love and effort went into ensuring this was the Metroid Prime experience fans had been wishing for.

We Got This Covered - 5 / 5

Metroid Prime Remastered is a few things, but above all else, it's a timeless masterpiece. It's also the best-looking game on the Switch to date and the birth of an entirely self-contained genre of first-person adventure games. Having missed my chance to play it as a child, I'm humbled by its grand designs, and I'm convinced this remaster will turn many would-be fans into true believers.

Atomix - Spanish - 95 / 100

Metroid Prime Remastered is an impressive new version of the 2002 Gamecube classic. The way Retro Studios improves the original game, makes it feel more like a remake.

Checkpoint Gaming - 9.5 / 10

Metroid Prime Remastered is an already amazing game made almost a masterpiece by its shiny new upgrades. FPS combat is thrilling as you work arenas and rooms to your advantage with your diverse arsenal and suit upgrades. Traversing all of the many environments throughout is just as enriching. That remains true whether that's hunting through the environment, rolling in morph ball mode through small spaces in puzzle fashion, or taking in gorgeous views. All of the detailing and fidelity is improved exponentially, proving to be one of the most gargantuan efforts of a remaster. All that could still use additional touching up are tiny, relatively insignificant functions. A thoroughly enjoyable time is ahead of you, uncovering more and more secrets and oh-so-sweet lore. Metroid Prime Remastered is one for the books and how remasters should be moving forward.

Geeks & Com - French - 9.5 / 10

To conclude, I would say that Metroid Prime Remastered is in the top third of the best remastered games. It may not be as impressive a work as a remake like Dead Space, but it doesn't rank that way in either name or price. It gave me great pleasure to find this masterpiece 20 years later and it still holds up very well. It is one of the beautiful games on the Switch and the improvements make it even better. I highly recommend it whether it's your first trip to Tallon IV or not.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 95 / 100

One of the best Game Cube games arrives, 20 years later, to become one of the best Nintendo Switch games. With brilliant visual remastering work and bomb-proof (energy) gameplay, Metroid Prime remains a masterpiece.

INVEN - Korean - 9.5 / 10

Metroid Prime Remastered is a perfect example of how we should deal with classic games to remaster. Almost every aspect of the game including visual, control and convenience have been improved. The only drawback of this surprise present for those who long awaited Metroid Prime 4 is that now they are going to need much patient for the 2nd and 3rd title to be remastered.

Luis Alamilla - 9.5 / 10

Video Review - Quote not available

Press Start - 9.5 / 10

Metroid Prime Remastered is, without a doubt, the best way to experience Metroid Prime. Its effortful visual overhaul, coupled with new control schemes, brings an already fantastic game into a new era for a new audience. Better still, it plays just as well as it did over two decades ago, offering a tremendous sense of atmosphere and wonder. It's often said it's tough to improve on a masterpiece, but Metroid Prime Remastered successfully meets the brief and then some.

Seasoned Gaming - 9.5 / 10

“Metroid Prime Remastered” is a perfect reminder of the ways that Nintendo helped to shape the industry, but it’s also a reflection that sheds light on a greater creative void from Nintendo since that original 2002 release.

The Games Machine - Italian - 9.5 / 10

95% is a bit of a miserly score for a game as outstanding as Metroid Prime Remastered, but those who have already played the original might consider themselves satiated and save money for a work that shows no particular additional content compared to the original. Everyone else should put it at the top of their shopping list, in no uncertain terms.

WayTooManyGames - 9.5 / 10

This is how a remaster of a Nintendo game should look, run, and play. What was already near-perfect is even better, all thanks to Retro Studios just improving upon every single aspect of the original game, making this particular version of an all-time classic the ultimate way to play it. Not to mention the fact you can now take it on-the-go. I may have one or two small issues with it, but to call them deal-breakers would be damn near blasphemous. In short, grab Metroid Prime Remastered.

CGMagazine - 9 / 10

Metroid Prime Remastered is a masterclass example of updating a classic title for modern audiences. Retro Studios' should be praised for their work, while both series veterans and newcomers alike are encouraged to check out one of the Gamecube's best exclusives, now made better than ever.

Final Weapon - 4.5 / 5

Metroid Prime Remastered is a genuinely stunning remaster of the beloved GameCube Classic. Retro Studios have gone above and beyond in recreating the assets and implementing superb twin-stick gameplay. Prime Remastered only improves on its original release and acts as the definitive way to experience the 2002 classic.

GAMES.CH - German - 90%

An undeniable classic refined with modern graphics and controls, as well as a bevy of accessibility options. While it's still an amazing gaming experience, it does raise the question where the two sequels remain. The re-release on the Wii already showed the games' agelessness, even if the new graphical enhancements are welcome. Either an even lower retail price or more substancial changes would have been welcome, but what we got is still enough to make Metroid fans rejoice.

GameSkinny - 9 / 10

With enhanced graphics and modern controls, Metroid Prime is well worth playing (or replaying) on the Switch.

Gameblog - French - 9 / 10

Metroid Prime Remastered is a real must-have for all gamers who might not have had the chance to touch the famous franchise back in the day. It's also a very solid remaster (not to say remake) that can easily bring back nostalgic fans. Still fun and exciting to play, despite some minor stiffness due to its age, Metroid Prime Remastered is a lesson. Yes, there are excellent remasters. And after this rediscovery of one of the most cult games of the Gamecube, we have only one thing in mind: where is Metroid Prime 4?

GamesRadar+ - 4.5 / 5

While some elements of its design feel antiquated, stunning changes made to Metroid Prime's visual design, performance, and controls are enough to breathe new life into one of the greatest video games of all-time. Whether this is your first journey to Talon IV or a return trip, Metroid Prime Remastered is well worth your time and attention.

GamingBolt - 9 / 10

Metroid Prime Remastered is the best way to play one of the best games ever made.

GamingTrend - 90 / 100

Metroid Prime Remastered is an amazing update to a classic game. Despite some remaining issues like clunky combat and platforming, the new control scheme and visual updates make this a must-play in the Switch's library, even for those who didn't enjoy the original. This is how you update a game for modern audiences.

Video Chums - 9 / 10

Metroid Prime Remastered is an awesome remaster of an awesome game that remains one of Samus' most iconic adventures so anyone who loves Metroid or first-person games in general should definitely play it. She has certainly come a long way since her NES debut.

GamePro - German - 87 / 100

Competently renewed classic that you should definitely know.

Destructoid - 8.5 / 10

Impressive efforts with a few noticeable problems holding them back. Won't astound everyone, but is worth your time and cash.

Tom's Hardware Italia - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Metroid Prime Remastered is simply the new benchmark on how a remastered should be done. Graphical compartment redone from scratch, an optimization capable of delivering unthinkable performance on Nintendo Switch, and a full-bodied set of quality-of-life improvements are just a splendid adornment to a first-person adventure (don't call it an FPS if you don't get mad) that hasn't aged a day in the last two decades. A more than recommended purchase if you love the genre, both for those who have never known the series and for those who are just waiting to hear when the long-awaited fourth installment will arrive.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8 / 10

Metroid Prime: Remastered is a superb remastering job of a NIntendo classic, which original players will embrace with a huge smile. Some logical limitations of a game from two decades ago may make it a bit rough for new players in certain situations.

Chicas Gamers - Spanish - Unscored

Metroid Prime Remastered brings back one of the best games of Nintendo catalogue. Returning to the planet Tallon IV will be as fun and exciting as the first time and it will be very comfortable to play for everyone thanks to all the available control options.

An essential game if you haven't already or if you played it at the time and want to enjoy it again with spectacular graphics. An adventure whose duration will easily take us to 15 hours.

Console Creatures - Recommended

Regardless of your history with Metroid Prime, I can’t stress how incredible the entire series is and with some love from the community, sets up the sequels we sorely desire in this day and age.

Entertainium - Masterpiece

If you haven’t experienced Metroid Prime before, my friend, do yourself a favor and get started with this at your earliest convenience. You’re in for a treat. It’s a cliché because it’s true: there’s no better way to get into it than now, with the remaster. Metroid Prime Remastered makes one of the best games ever, which was previously somewhat expensive to obtain, readily available on the Switch for a fraction of the price that’s very much worth it regardless of the level of experience you might have with the original game.

Eurogamer.pt - Portuguese - Essential

By creating a 3D metroidvania played in the first person, Retro Studios entered unexplored territory and created a new era of possibility, but it is its methodology of demand and progression design that make it an unwavering reference. Retro Studios' original design remains glorious and Metroid Prime Remastered is a sensational recalling of this golden page on Nintendo's resume. After 20 years, it is still a memorable game, a work of art of interactive entertainment. Presented in a version that updates the controls, improves graphics and performance in impressive ways, to the point of approaching the concept of remake, it is a game that crosses generations and still deserves to be played, studied and caries with force.

Kotaku - Unscored

And I’m thankful for that. I’m old enough now to witness girls partake in the video game industry outside of “girl games,” and to experience its full breadth for myself. Metroid Prime Remastered isn’t as perfect of a game as it seemed to be over 20 years ago. Too much time has passed for that to have ever been the case. But it will always know how to let a woman live.

Nintendojo - A or higher

It’s hard to imagine, but twice now Metroid Prime has proven itself to be a timeless work of art. First in 2009 when updated for Wii, and now in 2023 with Remastered on Switch. The storytelling, design work, and tight gameplay are as good as anything else produced in the last five years. This reworking is a glorious love letter to the original and the perfect way for contemporary and returning players to enjoy Metroid Prime. Now it’s just a question of whether or not Metroid Prime 4 can live up to this gem, and if we’ll eventually get Metroid Prime 2 and 3 Remastered. Go download this. Treat yourself. It is Valentine’s Day, after all. This is a game that’s easy to love.

Polygon - Polygon Recommends

In Metroid Dread, you are encouraged to sprint through, keeping clear of enemies that, at the outset, you have no means of defeating. Your central relation to the game world is that of anxiety and, yes, dread. Metroid Prime, by contrast, wants you to feel inquisitive toward its lonely landscapes, to seek understanding of your enemies as much as mastery over them. Through its contemplative gameplay loop, wherein entering a new area means taking time to consider it, 20 years later, Metroid Prime might have even more to say about what it means to slow down, taking time to view the world with curiosity and wonder.

Spaziogames - Italian - Unscored

This is how you make a masterpiece come back to make new fans immediately fall in love with it.

Unboxholics - Greek - Masterpiece

It was perfect and now it got even better. If you're one of the old school this is the time to return and if you're one of those who haven't experienced it yet, then this is the time to jump in.

VGChartz - Unscored

The revamped visuals are, for the most part, breathtaking, and the new control schemes allow just about anyone to enjoy the experience. Even without sequence breaking opportunities it’s still an exceptional game.

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Metroid Prime Remastered - Out Now! (Physical Version coming Feb 22), first OpenCritic reviews posted

Metroid-Site_7SCqSnv.jpg
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

The original Metroid Prime is one of the most beloved games of all time - and now it's been remastered for Switch with radically overhauled graphics.

The original Metroid Prime is one of the most beloved games of all time, adapting the classic 2D Metroid formula into a full 3D open-ended world on GameCube. The game pushed visual boundaries, with dense, moody environments and a solid 60fps frame-rate target. More than 20 years on, the Switch remaster is here: a complete visual remake of the source material, retaining the same gameplay but with radically overhauled graphics and modern controls. Metro Prime Remastered ought to be the best way to experience this legendary title in the modern era, but how does it compare to the GameCube and Wii versions, what's the story with performance - and is anything left out?

On the surface, Metroid Prime: Remastered seems like a pretty straightforward remake, with Retro Studios and co-developer Iron Galaxy seemingly taking the original Metroid Prime code and running it within a newer version of Retro's in-house game engine. Where Remastered distinguishes itself with the sheer quality of the visuals on display - faithful to the original but with massively expanded fidelity and rendering complexity to a level that we rarely see from Switch games.

The Remaster is defined by its new lighting which pushes way beyond what was possible with sixth-gen console hardware, with a sophisticated baked lighting solution with beautiful light propagation, including bounce lighting, subtle shadowing and plenty of fog. This makes areas more lifelike; they look and feel integrated in a way that we don't see from many Switch games. The lighting upgrade is completed by the addition of new light sources, while existing objects gain emissive properties. There's even static volumetric-style lighting in many spots that looks quite convincing.

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Oh, boo hoo! Good god.

No not "boo hoo", people want, and deserve to have their hard work credited. What a childish sentiment to say. Imagine working hard on something for years, it gets an overwhelming amount of praise, and then to not see your name listed in the credits, proving you worked on it. 

• True 1
  • Hugs 1

3 hours ago, Brick said:

No not "boo hoo", people want, and deserve to have their hard work credited. What a childish sentiment to say. Imagine working hard on something for years, it gets an overwhelming amount of praise, and then to not see your name listed in the credits, proving you worked on it. 

Especially in an industry where being credited for your work on a project represents a fundamental component of obtaining further work on new projects.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

3 hours ago, Brick said:

I admit it was dumb to say. Thank you for correcting me. Not being sarcastic, either. 

Now, should I buy this?

13 minutes ago, HardAct said:

Bought this on Sunday and have put in two seperate 2 hour sessions. It looks fantastic and the controls are much better using 2 sticks. This was one of my favorites on the Gamecube and I'm glad to own the Remake on the switch.

So if I beat it once 20 years ago is it worth buying now? 

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I’ve always loved 2D Metroid, but I’m finding myself getting excited to finally play this. 

You’ve never played??? 

It captures the feel of the 2D games really well. The combat really is easy with the new controls, but it’s fun enough. Feels kind of like a Zelda shooter. 

37 minutes ago, best3444 said:

So if I beat it once 20 years ago is it worth buying now? 

Well I just saw this post and went and checked if I owned it on my Arcade system. That game I have not played before. When I see these old games I like to look them up in my emulation Arcade system. Like I said...It's  supposedly has over 40k games in it. I almost never find a game from the ps1/2/xbox/360 down all the way to early Atari, colleco vision, commidor64, intellivision, etc, etc. early PC games computer games too and every damned digital pinball game also. Also has every handheld game too! I have after market controllers for the console games. To play most Wii games you have to have a controller to play the games, it's just not an official control. There all Wireless and have to work on a windows PC. It's a fun little system. Scrolling through 40,000+ games isn't as fun as it sounds though. There just so many. I have about 300 game in my favorite

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

You’ve never played??? 

It captures the feel of the 2D games really well. The combat really is easy with the new controls, but it’s fun enough. Feels kind of like a Zelda shooter. 

I swear we discussed this in the other thread, lol. 

But yeah, I’ve heard it still feels very much like Metroid, despite being in 3D. 

I played a couple hours yesterday. I found myself still using lock-on for most combat, because that’s what feels natural for me in this game. The modern controls definitely help with general movement and exploration. I’ll probably end up blasting through it in a few days.