Metroid Prime Remastered - Out Now! (Physical Version coming Feb 22), first OpenCritic reviews posted

Keyser_Soze

I don’t want to be a dick, but it’s hard to get stuck for long in this game if you:

pay attention

read

explore

Think about about the ability you unlocked most recently. Where can you get to with that new tool? If you don’t remember, take a look at your map, that might help jog your memory. Look for doors you haven’t gone through yet. Can you reach them now? Once you have a couple energy tanks, you can run through most areas without even fighting it you want, so don’t worry about backtracking. Once you’ve been through it once and know what to expect, you can run across any zone in like two minutes. So explore, and scan everything. The game itself tells you so much, you really don’t need a guide. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I don’t want to be a dick, but it’s hard to get stuck for long in this game if you:

pay attention

read

explore

Think about about the ability you unlocked most recently. Where can you get to with that new tool? If you don’t remember, take a look at your map, that might help jog your memory. Look for doors you haven’t gone through yet. Can you reach them now? Once you have a couple energy tanks, you can run through most areas without even fighting it you want, so don’t worry about backtracking. Once you’ve been through it once and know what to expect, you can run across any zone in like two minutes. So explore, and scan everything. The game itself tells you so much, you really don’t need a guide. 

I'm an idiot. 

And if you do need a guide… who cares! Look it up if you’re frustrated. The game is ahem, so well designed, that every room is specifically labeled and any guide worth a crap will be able to tell you, oh hey are you in this room? Well if you want to get here you need this. Don’t have it? Here’s where you can find it. 

Don't know how some of you made it through classics like Zelda: A link to the past, or FF6 & 7 without guides. They are meant to challenge your sense of exploration somewhat. I understand frustration and most game devs are so afraid to make a challenging game no-a-days that piss of everything in your hand all at once generation. I'm not calling anyone out, I'm old, like real old and I can't stand how gaming holds your hand at every turn. Easy mode, etc. I got stuck also in this game, enough to even have to walk away. But I only game 1-2 hours a session, sometimes separated by days in between. Hell I COULD NOT WAIT FOR Dead Space remake and it took almost 3 weeks to beat! I'm also not good at Dark Souls games period. I have only beaten 1&2, blood bourne, and demon souls but I respect them. Hell Rougue Like games are back to how games were in the day, love them. They are hard yes. I don't want anyone to play a game if they hate the experience, but these games aren't that hard, they may just rely on a bit more patience and exploration and a bit of a memory. Especially in the beginning when most games feel a bit tough. It's ok people. it's ok.....

2 minutes ago, HardAct said:

Don't know how some of you made it through classics like Zelda: A link to the past, or FF6 & 7 without guides. They are meant to challenge your sense of exploration somewhat. I understand frustration and most game devs are so afraid to make a challenging game no-a-days that piss of everything in your hand all at once generation. I'm not calling anyone out, I'm old, like real old and I can't stand how gaming holds your hand at every turn. Easy mode, etc. I got stuck also in this game, enough to even have to walk away. But I only game 1-2 hours a session, sometimes separated by days in between. Hell I COULD NOT WAIT FOR Dead Space remake and it took almost 3 weeks to beat! I'm also not good at Dark Souls games period. I have only beaten 1&2, blood bourne, and demon souls but I respect them. Hell Rougue Like games are back to how games were in the day, love them. They are hard yes. I don't want anyone to play a game if they hate the experience, but these games aren't that hard, they may just rely on a bit more patience and exploration and a bit of a memory. Especially in the beginning when most games feel a bit tough. It's ok people. it's ok.....

I can't remember if I already said this in this thread. There are legit critiques of Metroid Prime. But the only person really criticizing the game is not coming to have a discussion. 

Personally, I’d rather be impeded by a puzzle or missed detail than a heavy handed difficulty spike.  So long as the solution is fair, reasonable and intelligible.

Metroid games are perfectly reasonable outside of some optional pickups in Zero Mission perhaps.  These games aren’t like The Witness, Fez, etc.

Speaking for me personally, back in the day, exploring every nook and cranny in a game for hours and hours was a great time. I also didn't have the internet, or 100 other games, or a smartphone or YouTube or Netflix or adult responsibilities and wives and kids and whatnot...

I made it into my mid-30s as an avid gamer... but kids did it for me. I really don't play many games anymore at all. I have a very limited amount of free time and I just don't want to use it backtracking in a video game. This isn't a knock on Metroid Prime, which is one of my favorite games of all time.

I changed. Gaming didn't change.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ort said:

Speaking for me personally, back in the day, exploring every nook and cranny in a game for hours and hours was a great time. I also didn't have the internet, or 100 other games, or a smartphone or YouTube or Netflix or adult responsibilities and wives and kids and whatnot...

I made it into my mid-30s as an avid gamer... but kids did it for me. I really don't play many games anymore at all. I have a very limited amount of free time and I just don't want to use it backtracking in a video game. This isn't a knock on Metroid Prime, which is one of my favorite games of all time.

I changed. Gaming didn't change.

Also in my mid-30s. Though no kids, I work in construction, so hours are pretty crazy during the season. There are also always projects, and other things to do at home, so I'm finding out I also don't have as much time to game as I used to. Though my Wife is understanding, and will say, "You go game, while I make dinner, ok?" Yes, dear...

Being a responsible adult is hard work. 

• True 1

Another 2 or so hours last night. played from 10:30pm to about 1am!! Unlocked the Gravity suit and the ice beam, I have 7 health tanks and 55 rockets now. I am honestly really really enjoying this game and reliving one of the greatest games IN MEMORY.  The fire/heat beam and grapple still alludes me but i'm not worried. The room where you meet the Chozo Ghost is so AMAZINGLY complex and fun to unlock everything. BEST SO FAR Easily! I DIDN'T LIKE THAT AFTER THAT FIRST INCOUNTER YOU GET 3 EVERYTIME AFTER....LOL but you can just run past them so what ever.

22 hours ago, HardAct said:

Another 2 or so hours last night. played from 10:30pm to about 1am!! Unlocked the Gravity suit and the ice beam, I have 7 health tanks and 55 rockets now. I am honestly really really enjoying this game and reliving one of the greatest games IN MEMORY.  The fire/heat beam and grapple still alludes me but i'm not worried. The room where you meet the Chozo Ghost is so AMAZINGLY complex and fun to unlock everything. BEST SO FAR Easily! I DIDN'T LIKE THAT AFTER THAT FIRST INCOUNTER YOU GET 3 EVERYTIME AFTER....LOL but you can just run past them so what ever.

There’s a late game boss that really pissed me off. IIRC the final boss uses a lot of similar mechanics, so I hope it doesn’t suck. It was annoying enough with modern controls, I don’t know how we put up with it on the Cube. 

I’m done with the artifact hunt so just have the last two bosses I think. 

20 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Nintendo vastly under estimated demand for the game

Hopefully, if the rumors are true, then the rest of the Prime Trilogy are getting the same remastered treatment. A long shot, yes, but if it's true Prime remastered was finished around 2021 (around the time Dread was announced), then Echoes may not be far away. 

Firmly believe Prime 4 is a 2024 title, and the Prime trilogy will complete by the end of this year. That's my dream anyway. :coffee:

45 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

Hopefully, if the rumors are true, then the rest of the Prime Trilogy are getting the same remastered treatment. A long shot, yes, but if it's true Prime remastered was finished around 2021 (around the time Dread was announced), then Echoes may not be far away. 

Firmly believe Prime 4 is a 2024 title, and the Prime trilogy will complete by the end of this year. That's my dream anyway. :coffee:

they should have just released the entire trilogy together like they did for the Wii

1 hour ago, imthesoldier said:

I've heard the rumours are that only Prime 1 got the full remastered treatment, and the other two are just going to be simple HD ports. I hope that's not the case, as I do hope Nintendo sees how beautiful this game looks, and the enthusiasm around it, and decide that yeah the other two deserve to get remastered as well. There are locations in Echoes and Corruption that were absolutely gorgeous back in the day that I would love to see again with these graphics. Sanctuary Fortress? Bryyo? Phaaze? Mmmm. 

Picked up my physical copy last night at Wal-Mart. Shame to hear some of you are having trouble. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1