Nikki Haley planning Feb. 15 launch for 2024 White House bid

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Very high ranking and well educated military officers that I know and have trained have unironically referred to the Civil War as the “war of northern aggression”. “History is written by the winners” is false. Completely forgiving the south and not holding that shitty flag as a traitor’s flag were mistakes.

Every slave-owning white person should have been stripped of their land, to be honest. Formerly enslaved people were supposed to be given 40 acres and a mule, but Andrew Johnson (rest in piss) vetoed the legislation in 1866.

That is honestly one of the biggest "what-ifs" if Lincoln lived.

3 hours ago, MarSolo said:

I have family from the south, let me tell you how offended they got years ago when I suggested that the Confederate flag should be used as toilet paper in my house. 

People can get very triggered when they go to NYC and stumble across Grant's Tomb. :lol:

24 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Every slave-owning white person should have been stripped of their land, to be honest. Formerly enslaved people were supposed to be given 40 acres and a mule, but Andrew Johnson (rest in piss) vetoed the legislation in 1866.

That is honestly one of the biggest "what-ifs" if Lincoln lived.

This is why whenever people bring up reparations I’m always for the idea or giving all Black Americans a mule 

• Haha 1
  • Hype 1

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

This is why whenever people bring up reparations I’m always for the idea or giving all Black Americans a mule 

I giggled at the joke, but it also brings up something that will make me kill the joke and I apologize for that.

Who exactly counts as black in a reparations scenario?

I don't ask that to be an edge lord, it's a legitimate question that has been asked since the idea was first brought up. Homer Plessy (of Plessy v Ferguson fame, whose court case legalized "separate but equal") was, by basically any definition, white. Here's him right here (allegedly, I've seen some folks claim this isn't really him)

03863r1.jpg

He had like 1 black great-grandparent. That was enough to consider him "black" at the time. Plessy's whole thing was kind of a protest to begin with and he straight up told a train conductor "I'm black and I'm not supposed to be here" or some shit so it's a weird case, but that's a story for a different day.

Point being: Any time to make reparations would have been while formerly enslaved people were still alive. Trying to do it now doesn't make sense logistically if you think about it for longer than 5 seconds. Who counts and who doesn't and who gets how much and what if you're a rich white person who just happens to have had a black great-grandmother, etc. And like does Barack Obama count? He's black, but his mother was a white girl from Kansas and his father was from Kenya, so technically none of his ancestors were enslaved... Do we give people reparations based on black DNA? "Here, black people of America, spit into this tube, we won't use this DNA for anything nefarious, pinky promise!" I'm sure everyone will love that.

The best way to get reparations for slavery is to destroy capitalism.

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2023 at 4:32 PM, Fizzzzle said:

There isn't really anything I can add to that. Checkmate Lincolnites is one of the greatest repositories of civil war history in existence. I even own a checkmate Lincolnites tank top.

I spent one whole day just binging their content in bed, 10/10 would do again. 

• Hype 1

1 minute ago, Massdriver said:
WWW.CNN.COM

Former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley has trimmed former President Donald Trump’s lead in the Republican primary race in New Hampshire to single digits...

Iowa is next week and New Hampshire is the 23rd, at this point I'm really just interested in waiting to see how actual voting goes. 

• Guillotine 1
  • Hugs 1

I can't imagine there's any way Haley wins outright even if she narrowly wins New Hampshire, but if she does win New Hampshire conceivably Trump might start trying to do Stop the Steal type of stuff, which would both be very funny and also might be a necessary wake up call for people who aren't currently that disturbed at the prospect of a 2nd Trump term.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Iowa is next week and New Hampshire is the 23rd, at this point I'm really just interested in waiting to see how actual voting goes. 

No

i enjoyed four years of minimal stressing about politics, I’m not mentally ready for this shit again.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 2
  • Hugs 1

11 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

I can't imagine there's any way Haley wins outright even if she narrowly wins New Hampshire, but if she does win New Hampshire conceivably Trump might start trying to do Stop the Steal type of stuff, which would both be very funny and also might be a necessary wake up call for people who aren't currently that disturbed at the prospect of a 2nd Trump term.

Yes please

It's kind of crazy how Nikki Haley is both terrible and also the best of the current lot by far. (I like Christie's hard line anti-trump stance, but I think he's a weasel and I do not trust him)

• Halal 1

17 minutes ago, ort said:

It's kind of crazy how Nikki Haley is both terrible and also the best of the current lot by far. (I like Christie's hard line anti-trump stance, but I think he's a weasel and I do not trust him)

Yeah this is kind of where I stand. It's weird to see how principled the Bridge-gate guy is on the Trump issue. But Bridgegate itself makes me kind of prefer Haley.

• Halal 1

22 hours ago, Jason said:

I'm hoping Haley comes 2nd well ahead of DeSantis. That would get the momentum going. 

1 hour ago, ort said:

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Yeah this is kind of where I stand. It's weird to see how principled the Bridge-gate guy is on the Trump issue. But Bridgegate itself makes me kind of prefer Haley.

When we say things like "best" and "prefer", those words are doing a lot of heavy lifting. :p This is more like pick your poison to avoid Trump as the candidate, the worst poison.

• Halal 1

Nikki Haley seems like your bog standard terrible R candidate, the kind whose policies you hate but is probably not a mustache twirling villain... she still super sucks and was also up trumps ass and is still way to far up trumps as so it's hard to take anything she says or does seriously.

It really is that simple, stand with trump and I'm fucking done with you forever. That said, they all stand with him, so they all suck. She's just slightly less awful.

I just can't believe anything Christie says or stands for. He was so anti-trump... then he was all buddy buddy with him for years and was completely up his ass and pushing / normalizing his agenda... You can't convince me that he wasn't 100% aware of how dangerous trump was the whole time he was working with him and pretending he was a normal politician, so you know what, you can't just turn on MAGA shit like a light switch, so FUCK YOU.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

38 minutes ago, ort said:

Nikki Haley seems like your bog standard terrible R candidate, the kind whose policies you hate but is probably not a mustache twirling villain... she still super sucks and was also up trumps ass and is still way to far up trumps as so it's hard to take anything she says or does seriously.

It really is that simple, stand with trump and I'm fucking done with you forever. That said, they all stand with him, so they all suck. She's just slightly less awful.

I just can't believe anything Christie says or stands for. He was so anti-trump... then he was all buddy buddy with him for years and was completely up his ass and pushing / normalizing his agenda... You can't convince me that he wasn't 100% aware of how dangerous trump was the whole time he was working with him and pretending he was a normal politician, so you know what, you can't just turn on MAGA shit like a light switch, so FUCK YOU.

Is she really slightly less awful or just less dumb and better at hiding it? Pretty sure her non-answer on slavery alone makes her pretty much equal awful, and her hypocrisy both before Trump, working for Trump, and afterward make me inclined to believe she's absolutely a mustache twirling villain, just without the mustache. Less dumb than Trump, definitely, less evil maybe, but less awful? I dunno. She's definitely a less bad choice than Trump, but most of them are (except for Ramaswamy maybe).

• Halal 1