Nikki Haley planning Feb. 15 launch for 2024 White House bid

I mean I’d be hesitant to say it’s over for Haley or DeSantis after just Iowa. Hard to know how all the court cases against Trump are going to shake out. If he ends up with any consequences (lol) and can’t run you want to be one of those two. And they’re basically tied right now. It’s not like DeSantis is beating her by an amount that makes a statement (yet). 

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

If you believe that poll @SaysWho? posted about Haley voters going to Biden if Trump wins the nomination, Haley going down in flames is a good thing.

Republicans voted for an actual pedo over a democrat, there’s no way they’re voting for Biden. 

• True 2

7 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Trump winning anything at all is never good. 

As I've said before, while Trump being on the ballot definitely makes me extremely nervous because if he's on the ballot then it's possible for him to win, I still think Biden beating Trump in the second election in a row is a much easier task than Biden beating Haley.

• True 1

21 minutes ago, Jason said:

As I've said before, while Trump being on the ballot definitely makes me extremely nervous because if he's on the ballot then it's possible for him to win, I still think Biden beating Trump in the second election in a row is a much easier task than Biden beating Haley.

Perhaps it would be easier for Biden to beat Trump if you believe the polls. But Trump winning the GOP primary is bad for the nation as he then controls one of the major parties in American politics and the narrative continues. A primary upset would change the dynamics within the party, hopefully having more positive long-term effects. 

Bottom line is Trump winning the primary is bad for the nation and sets us up for round 2. It’s worth thinking carefully about your position if you’re celebrating a victory with Trump because you speculate it may be easier for Biden to win. That’s a dangerous game to play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

It’s worth thinking carefully about your position if you’re celebrating a victory with Trump because you speculate it may be easier for Biden to win. That’s a dangerous game to play. 

I'm not actively celebrating Trump winning the primaries, because again, Trump being on the general election ballot means he has a chance of winning and that's scary as fuck. I just think it's probably the easier route to victory given how 2018, 2020, 2022, and 2023 went. 

I think those Haley voters saying they'd vote for Biden in a Biden Trump rematch are more likely to just stay home than actually vote for Biden but I'd still rather have them staying home than voting for Haley. 

• Halal 1

The thing with Trump being the nominee, and I’m sure people like @Jason and @SaysWho? would agree, is that Trump is genuinely hated by a large majority of the country. And women who value their bodily autonomy definitely hate him, especially now that he’s taking credit for Roe v Wade being overturned. 

And for the Average Joe voter? They’re going to see his trials being covered in the news once he’s the nominee and it’s going to bring back those flashes of why they didn’t want to vote for Hillary despite being the clearly more qualified candidate.

Donald Trump can be hated by the vast majority of the country and still win the presidency by the usual Electoral College math which according to recent swing-state level polling data is very much a probability if trends continue going forth.

This is going to be an election between two historically, deeply unpopular candidates with a voting electorate that's as gloomy about their own, the nation's, and the world's future prospects as it ever has been for a multiplicity of reasons.

This isn't a situation unique to the United States as this malaise and gloom is effectively a global phenomenon from North America (see Trudeau's standing in Canada) to Latin America (see the recent election in Argentina) to Europe (do I really need to detail what's happening there?) to...you get the picture.

There's little doubt in my mind that the pandemic and its economic/social effects "broke" the world or perhaps it's better to say that it worsened/accelerated the economic and social fractures that were already there -- especially in regard to the non-professional/working class -- and we're very much still experiencing its fallout.  The reality is we're living through the "twilight of liberal democracy" or essentially the final death knell of the post-World War II political/economic/social order as globalization and multilateralism are effectively dead.

My best advice at this early stage is to at least start preparing psychologically and emotionally for Trump 2.0 to soften the blow if/when it does happen just a little bit.  Note: you'd be in good company as diplomats from several European and other countries have been meeting with Trump campaign staff in expectation of the event.

• Sad 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

10 hours ago, Jason said:

Put it this way: at this point, Donald Trump possibly/probably beats Joe Biden while Nikki Haley definitely beats Joe Biden.

• Halal 1

She really checks all the boxes.

Worst case scenario I've seen floating around is Tucker Carlson... but I just can't see that. Trump would think he was overshadowing him.

Tim Scott feels like a possibility if he wants to check off the safe bland box again but my money would be on a woman.

Kari Lake...

Kristi Noem is probably a front runner for the job. I really think he's going to pick a woman... and she has to be traditionally attractive because he would never run with an "average" looking woman.

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's exactly who I primarily have in mind.

I think her only gap, which is largely irrelevant for a VP, is mainstream name recognition.

But she really has everything Trump wants/needs in a VP. She is a Fox News darling, she is a woman (and his biggest weakness is suburban women), she has a bit of charisma, but not too much to outshine Trump, she is a loyal foot soldier, she’s had an affair with Trump’s inner circle, she can potentially counter Trump’s 2020 COVID weakness with her record (largely imagined) in South Dakota as governor.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Put it this way: at this point, Donald Trump possibly/probably beats Joe Biden while Nikki Haley definitely beats Joe Biden.

Trump v Biden:  I vote for Biden 

Haley v Biden: I vote for Haley (or a compelling 3rd party candidate)

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Trump v Biden:  I vote for Biden 

Haley v Biden: I vote for Haley (or a compelling 3rd party candidate)

I was actually listening to a podcast that touched on this.

In 2020, Joe Biden wasn’t necessarily the candidate who aligned most the values of the new Democratic Party, but Democratic voters individually and collectively made the decision that he was the best person to win a national election and beat Donald Trump, over the likes of Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth.

And Republicans, well, they don’t give a fuck. They’ll vote for Trump no matter what, even though Nikki Haley would likely beat Biden.

I have no doubt that amongst people in the center, Haley would probably outperform BIden, but I think any prediction of how that election would go would have to factor in the no fact that Trump has no real loyalty to the old guard GOP and would probably be bitching about the deep state taking the nomination from him or whatever and maybe actively telling his supporters to stay home.

11 hours ago, Jason said:

Biden isn't going to have an easy time either way with the way his approval numbers keep dropping. He's lower at this point than any President in the last 70+ years.

PROJECTS.FIVETHIRTYEIGHT.COM

Latest polls on President Joe Biden’s approval ratings

2 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Biden isn't going to have an easy time either way with the way his approval numbers keep dropping. He's lower at this point than any President in the last 70+ years.

PROJECTS.FIVETHIRTYEIGHT.COM

Latest polls on President Joe Biden’s approval ratings

Exactly - the notion that Biden would have an "easier" time this go-around in the face of all currently available evidence truly is wishcasting.