What are your gaming "oh shit" moments

Fizzzzle

Meaning times were a game just blew your mind.

For example, the first time playing Super Mario 64, when you realized you could control Mario in 3D. Or the first time you stepped out into Hyrule Field into Ocarina of Time.

Times when you were playing a game that made you just go "... oh, shit..." in a good way.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

Meaning times were a game just blew your mind.

For example, the first time playing Super Mario 64, when you realized you could control Mario in 3D. Or the first time you stepped out into Hyrule Field into Ocarina of Time.

Both of those. Anytime one of my favorite franchises made their way into 3d, it blew my mind. 

I can't remember if it was Fallout 3,  Morrowind or both, but you kind of start in a linear environment and when you finally open a door or something, there's a big, beautiful open-world adventure waiting. That was a fun 'ohhhh, shit' moment. 

That very first x-ray testicle shot from 500+ yards out in any Sniper Elite game.

The entire Sniper Wolf segment in MGS.

Revisiting Shadow Moses in MGS4.

"Would You Kindly" was a hell of a mind fuck!

The whole carrot & stick element the first time you finish a castle only to be told the Princess is somewhere else.

Firing up Forza Motorsport on my XBX!

25 minutes ago, Derek said:

Both of those. Anytime one of my favorite franchises made their way into 3d, it blew my mind. 

I can't remember if it was Fallout 3,  Morrowind or both, but you kind of start in a linear environment and when you finally open a door or something, there's a big, beautiful open-world adventure waiting. That was a fun 'ohhhh, shit' moment. 

I think Morrowind took me a while for it to hit. Like, when I set out from Seyda Neen, I was like "yeah, this is cool, but whatever." It wasn't until I made the trip all the way from Seyda Neen to Balmora and got a quest that took me to the complete other side of the map that I went "oh shit..."

The plot twist connecting Xenoblade 1 and 2.  It's a huge time investment to get there, with both games, but its an incredible payoff that completely respects each for what they are.  FF7R could have taken a cue.

Dropping into Darknest for the first time in Hollow Knight.  It quickly makes you feel like you made a terrible mistake, then proceeds to punish you for your curiosity until you earn your way out.  Its unnerving in the best way.

Terranigma has several notable twists, especially for the time.  Its pre-title intro is literal perfection though, so I'll go with that.

You could know literally nothing about this game and feel it's gonna be a ride.

Battlefield 2's scale, with my personal highlight being sniping the pilot out of an attack chopper.

Darth Revan reveal in KOTOR.

The gameplay flexibility of the Jedi Knight 2 and 3 impressed me, and I played them 10 years after they released.

I managed to get the Wii online via a 56k dial up connection, and that speed was good enough :lol:

Finding something in every nook and cranny in Breath of the Wild. Also that the WiiU could even run Breath of the Wild at all, but I finished the game on PC in hi-res fashion.

And obviously everyone should have be impressed by......

The super realistic graphics of the first Madden game for every new console generation :o

Playing Super Mario 64 at a K-Mart or Target (don't remember) Kiosk late at night after me and my mom went to pick up my dad after he got off work. Shit was BONKERS, man.

Similarly, seeing grainy, tiny videos of Ocarina of Time on IGN64.com before it came out, then (and this is a weird one) my uncle taking me out somewhere and then stopping at one of his friend's houses who I never learned the name of and haven't seen again to this day, and he just had Ocarina of Time right there on his TV, he had just started and was in Kokiri Forest. Normally if I'm in someone else's house, back as a kid and to this day, I try not to touch anything, but they got to talking and I just sat down and picked up the controller and went and talked to a bunch of the NPCs and got the sword and shield and was having a blast for a good 10 minutes, as we didn't have the money to get the game yet and I'd never played it before. Kokiri Forest remains stuck in my head as one of those magical places of gaming probably because of it. My uncle was shocked when he noticed I did this and his friend thought it was hilarious as I was only like 10 or so.

Nier Automata's final act stuff. (Gotta stay vague here.)

Bahamut's phase transition in FFXIV.

How 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors wrapped everything up at the end and somehow connected literally everything, which remains the reason I play every single game by that creator.

The Bill O'Reilly news head fight in DmC.

I'll try to think of more, it's easy to forget over the years!

• Halal 1

- Playing Mario 64 in the summer of 1996 before it launched in the US. I was 14 yrs old and was completely captivated by the game. The awe and amazement that came from that game has never been matched since for me. Simply incredible.

- Ocarina of Time didn't blow me away. I was a junior in HS and the Dreamcast was right around the corner with much better visuals. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved Zelda and everyone in my school was hyped af for it 

- Walking out into the opening sewer section in Oblivion was stunning on the 360.

Honestly that's about it. I think PSVR really impressed me because I never tried VR before so that's up there, too.

Other than that, it's just been evolutionary games since the transition from 2-D to 3-D.

I don't know what it would take to simply blow me away like Mario 64 did? 

• Halal 2

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

- Playing Mario 64 in the summer of 1996 before it launched in the US. I was 14 yrs old and was completely captivated by the game. The awe and amazement that came from that game has never been matched since for me. Simply incredible.

- Ocarina of Time didn't blow me away. I was a junior in HS and the Dreamcast was right around the corner with much better visuals. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved Zelda and everyone in my school was hyped af for it 

- Walking out into the opening sewer section in Oblivion was stunning on the 360.

Honestly that's about it. I think PSVR really impressed me because I never tried VR before so that's up there, too.

Other than that, it's just been evolutionary games since the transition from 2-D to 3-D.

I don't know what it would take to simply blow me away like Mario 64 did? 

Oooh, leaving the sewer in Oblivion was a good one, for sure.

With Ocarina of Time, I don't know if it was necessarily the visuals so much as the open world. I don't know if there had been a 3D game that had really done an open world like that before. When you stepped out onto Hyrule Field for the first time, it was like "... I can just.... go anywhere?" (obviously other games had done open worlds before, but never on like a 1:1 scale like that)

• True 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I’m the same age about as you guys so we all know it’s M64 so I’ll say a recentish one for me was dancing with the robot on Oculus 2 during the opening demo.

True story! I wasn't going to buy an N64 (yes, there was a time when I had to pick which hardware I could afford!) but just one swim with the fishes in the pond out front of the castle and I was figuring out how to budget for an N64! 

The opening cinematic of FF7 on launch day was completed unforgettable.

Xenogears Citan Reveal

Doom! Just blew us away in the early 90’s. 
Elder Scrolls Morrowind! The world was huge!

FF6 Opera Scene 

FF6 Kefka bringing about the apocalypse. That completely shocked me.

Felling Spider-Man swing on PS4. 
Mario 64 movement was a game changer.

Halo CE. Single and multi player!

im sure there are many more, but those are off the top of my mind.

7 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

True story! I wasn't going to buy an N64 (yes, there was a time when I had to pick which hardware I could afford!) but just one swim with the fishes in the pond out front of the castle and I was figuring out how to budget for an N64! 

I think my lowest point was writing Nintendo to try to get a N64/Mario by ratting out early sites that had Nintendo roms like in exchange they would send me one lmao

I still remember seeing it in the mall at some store with import stuff and that opening area back when it launched in Japan and how my mind raced to thinking how other franchises could look - I can still picture my idea of what Megaman 64 looked like in my head.

VR a couple times now has been the closest to that but there will have to be less gradual movement and some one time big jump in order to match it. 

• Haha 1

Best OH SHIT moment that comes to mind was walking down the hallway in Resident Evil 1 and the dogs jumping through the windows. Then there is the "TWIST" in Bioshock but no spoilers here from me. Brilliant!! Bioshock i & 2 I'm sure will be getting a full remake the way things are going and I'm all for it!

10 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Darth Revan reveal in KOTOR

top of my list. Definitely. 

also the (at the time) sense of scale when trying to get to the council chambers during the climax of ME1. 

The animations and level of environmental interaction in the MGS2 E3 trailer. Just blown away by the level of detail, technological jump, and artistry. 

the “No Russian” mission in COD MW2. More so blown away that they did it, knowing exactly how many people would react. 

I want to say Mario 64, but I felt more mesmerized and transported than blown away or a sense of “oh shit”. It was so quick how fast I got immersed into this new 3D experience. It was like immediately it all felt second nature. I was too busy having fun and getting Stars to think how amazing it all was. 

I‘lol be honest, I can’t really think of a recent time a game has blown my mind or really surprised me in a “oh shit!!” kind of way. Everything has felt done before and stuff is just incremental. Nothing feels mind blowingly better than anything before it, or a leap so massive I’m left in awe. 

9 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I‘ll be honest, I can’t really think of a recent time a game has blown my mind or really surprised me in a “oh shit!!” kind of way. Everything has felt done before and stuff is just incremental.

It's a lot easier to do it with a plot device than a gameplay mechanic.  Even then, it's hard to do something earnestly original that surprises people that have been playing games for decades.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Honestly just realizing the extent of the scale of Stormveil Castle is a good recent one for me.

I'm currently there and it is a sight to behold really. Funny how I kinda hit a road block in Elden Ring exactly where I did on the XSX. Level 87 etc. I don't know if I have it in me to beat it.