What are your gaming "oh shit" moments

Fizzzzle

2 minutes ago, nublood said:

First time I stepped outside of the sewers in Oblivion. I probably had an out of body experience. See that castle... waaaayy off in the distance? Yea, you can go there.

Gaming changed for me after that.

I think it's sort of a leveled up version of leaving the forest in Ocarina of Time.

Remembered some classic ones:

A Link to the Past: Freezing an enemy with the Ice Rod, then discovering I can pick up the frozen enemy, and finally losing my shit when I could throw the enemy as a weapon to kill other enemies.  The first time using the Bombos medallion was also pure hype.

A weird one concerning my particular Super Mario All-Stars cartridge on SNES: While playing SMB3 I could transform Mario into any form (Raccoon, Fire, Hammer, Leaf, Boot, etc) by pressing the select button on my controller. I realized I could finally beat the game now :p. But for some reason, the glitch didn't work all the time and I have no idea what triggered it.

Super Mario Kart: In battle mode, seemingly helpless as my brother comes straight at me with a red shell and I have nothing, learning if you have perfect timing you can normal jump over a red shell, no feather required.

edit:

Triple whammy - Batman: Arkham trilogy.

Obsessively played the Asylum demo on PC over and over again and in awe of how it felt like you were actually Batman, with gadgets and fists.

Arkham City felt like an evolving Gotham. Mayhem everywhere, factions competing for power, but I was definitely impressed by the gossip of the foot soldiers and how they evolved their dialogue as Batman progressed the story.

In Arkham Knight I was impressed by Hamil's Joker performance. It was subtly different than previous iterations precisely because this was Batman's idea of who the Joker was.  And I probably would have been more shocked by the story if I hadn't watched Under the Red Hood prior :p

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

I’m not a big fan of the game but there is an alternate universe where Nintendo kept chasing power for one more generation and that BOTW “this is your land to explore” shot happens in 2006 and destroys minds.

At least we got

Blades will bleed,

Shields will shatter

The WiiU barely handled BotW, I wonder if the 360 or PS3 could do any better if properly optimized.

9 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

At least we got

Blades will bleed,

Shields will shatter

The WiiU barely handled BotW, I wonder if the 360 or PS3 could do any better if properly optimized.

I’d be very curious to see that yeah. I’m going to guess it could work if actually optimized for the console and of course it would be running at like 540p/25fps

Not a moment but a time frame

Street Fighter 2 hit the streets and our local arcade got 2 cabinets. Within a few weeks the group of fellow gamers went from a handful to several dozen who meet up on the regular to showdown against one another. It was like a hive mind deconstructing the game, someone would figure out a move and teach it to another player and it would spread. Meet ups on Saturday afternoon were fierce competition and would run until night. Players knew players by their mains and their names,  "dude did you hear  the Dhalsim guy was here yesterday and he was wrecking shit!" It was our own private FGC and over maybe 10+ years and I dont know how many games but for me it was a golden age of gaming and it unlocked a passion for fighting games that still goes on.

• Halal 1