Microsoft to hold "Xbox Developer_Direct" showcase with Arkane/Bethesda/others on January 25, update: Starfield to receive dedicated standalone show

Commissar SFLUFAN

On 1/10/2023 at 10:17 AM, XxEvil AshxX said:

The same way I will hit up a Golden Corral every once in a while, even though I know the food is gonna be kinda shit.

Having recently gone to Golden Corral for the first time ever, I can say with absolute certainty, that I will NEVER go again.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Microsoft to hold "Xbox Developer_Direct" showcase with Arkane/Bethesda/others on January 25, update: Starfield to receive dedicated standalone show

As per the official announcement, Starfield will receive its own dedicated show:

Developer-Direct-Hero-Image-c2c90fd9cb20
NEWS.XBOX.COM

Xbox and Bethesda will present a Developer_Direct on Wednesday, January 25, providing fans with an inside look at some of the games coming to Xbox, PC and Game Pass over the next few months.

To dedicate the proper amount of time for a deep dive into Bethesda Game Studios’ Starfield, a standalone show is in the works. 

On 1/9/2023 at 2:03 PM, Bacon said:

It is going to be Fallout 76, but single player and in space with a large focus of crafting and gathering. The game will be littered with MMO-esque content and a lackluster storyline. People will eat it up too because people love eating literal dogshit. Mark my words. This is this games fate. Reviewers and players will love it, until your average critic come out and makes these exact same comparisons. And then I will be proven right. 

Well, at least that is my prediction and I am basing it on No Man's Sky. 

I'm fine if it's delayed all the way to 2024 as this is incredibly important to Microsoft's gaming outlook moving forward. This game simply can not fail. Halo was rightly delayed and was compensated for it. Yea it hurts, but it has to be a massive hit. This can not be a No mans sky release and fix daily. Nor can it be a Cyberpuck disaster. I'm one that has not played NMS but bought and played CP on PC 6 months later and LOVED it. I played and beat it never to boot up again but it was a really fun ride! I honestly haven't followed Starfield at all but I well aware of the importance to the MS brand and I hope it's Amazing! Sony's string of hits has placed MS in a pickle sort of and it will benefit us all as Gamers if this is a Missive success.....

I feel like the Xbox brand needs to do....something...anything. Idk, maybe it's just me but it just seems like there have been a lot of slow days at the office as of late compared to Sony and PC games. Am I wrong? But they're still putting up good numbers considering they still haven't recently launched any major exclusives compared to Sony. So there's that I guess.

• True 1

1 hour ago, nublood said:

I feel like the Xbox brand needs to do....something...anything. Idk, maybe it's just me but it just seems like there have been a lot of slow days at the office as of late compared to Sony and PC games. Am I wrong? But they're still putting up good numbers considering they still haven't recently launched any major exclusives compared to Sony. So there's that I guess.

Xbox is dead to me except for Bethesda. I don't touch my XSX at all. The PS5 imo is a superior console in visuals, sound, controller, and it's first party lineup. 

15 hours ago, nublood said:

biggest reason MS is still putting up good numbers is the Series S is half the price of a PS5. There is a large library of supported games, including Game Pass. 

series S has been more readily available, and is cheap enough to be a first console for a kid or a second or third console for a home. I know people that have a Series X in the living room and a Series S for another location. 

Xbox should have some big games, but they don’t need them as desperately because of their access to big third party titles and price point. Series X by itself in the Xbox fleet would be at least 2:1 behind the PS5, if not worse off. 

What’s so frustrating is while Sony seemingly can’t lose with their big games, MS has a big game come out and it flops. And that could still happen with all these acquisitions. Star Field could feel like the worst parts of ME Andromeda, Fallout 76, and OG No Man’s Sky. Diablo 4 could make Diablo Immortal look reasonable. Even if it’s not exclusive the next COD game could suuuuck. Even if that happened I don’t see Xbox’s trending numbers going anywhere. Which can feel frustrating and futile. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

biggest reason MS is still putting up good numbers is the Series S is half the price of a PS5.

$299 is not half of $399.  Sure, there was a holiday drop to $250 for Series S, but apples-to-apples comparisons should still be to the PS5 digital edition.  I think we can thank Microsoft for putting pressure on Sony to price it as they did.

Also, correct me if if I'm wrong, but the last time we got Series X/S LTD sales estimates from a reputable source was January 2022.

3925613-screenshot2022-01-11at8.17.25am.
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

That compares to a figure--13.4 million for the PS5--that was announced last year.

The numbers I'm seeing quoted more recently come from the bullshitz generator. :p

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

$299 is not half of $399.  Sure, there was a holiday drop to $250 for Series S, but apples-to-apples comparisons should still be to the PS5 digital edition.  I think we can thank Microsoft for putting pressure on Sony to price it as they did.

Also, correct me if if I'm wrong, but the last time we got Series X/S LTD sales estimates from a reputable source was January 2022.

3925613-screenshot2022-01-11at8.17.25am.
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

That compares to a figure--13.4 million for the PS5--that was announced last year.

The numbers I'm seeing quoted more recently come from the bullshitz generator. :p

series S is selling for $249 pretty much everywhere. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

series S is selling for $249 pretty much everywhere. 

Microsoft's said it was promotional holiday pricing, but it could stick.  They're even selling it $10 cheaper on their store currently.

$300 was too high for it relative to a $400 PS5 from a value standpoint IMO.  $250 sounds about right, especially considering we're leaving the cross gen.  Maybe they phase in a new model at some point to make better on their 1440p machine target.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Microsoft's said it was promotional holiday pricing, but it could stick.  They're even selling it $10 cheaper on their store currently.

$300 was too high for it relative to a $400 PS5 from a value standpoint IMO.  $250 sounds about right, especially considering we're leaving the cross gen.  Maybe they phase in a new model at some point to make better on their 1440p machine target.

Ah, well to your point then it was selling well for $300. It will likely sell better for $250. Though it’s though to directly compare it’s value to the $400 PS5 model as those are even harder to come by than the $500 model, because Sony simply makes less of them so they can sell less of them (another “good for gamers” move). 

52 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Ah, well to your point then it was selling well for $300. It will likely sell better for $250. Though it’s though to directly compare it’s value to the $400 PS5 model as those are even harder to come by than the $500 model, because Sony simply makes less of them so they can sell less of them (another “good for gamers” move). 

Ragnarok bundles of the digital are in stock currently in several places.  That's what Sony would rather push.  But if you just want the console itself, it's still much easier now than a year ago.

As a side note, I don't buy the idea that the console manufactures purposefully hold back production for successful SKUs.  It was a BS notion in the Wii's heyday, it likely still is today.  If Sony didn't want the digital editions to sell, they wouldn't be packaging new bundles with it.

• Halal 1

On 1/13/2023 at 8:38 AM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

biggest reason MS is still putting up good numbers is the Series S is half the price of a PS5. There is a large library of supported games, including Game Pass. 

series S has been more readily available, and is cheap enough to be a first console for a kid or a second or third console for a home. I know people that have a Series X in the living room and a Series S for another location. 

Xbox should have some big games, but they don’t need them as desperately because of their access to big third party titles and price point. Series X by itself in the Xbox fleet would be at least 2:1 behind the PS5, if not worse off. 

What’s so frustrating is while Sony seemingly can’t lose with their big games, MS has a big game come out and it flops. And that could still happen with all these acquisitions. Star Field could feel like the worst parts of ME Andromeda, Fallout 76, and OG No Man’s Sky. Diablo 4 could make Diablo Immortal look reasonable. Even if it’s not exclusive the next COD game could suuuuck. Even if that happened I don’t see Xbox’s trending numbers going anywhere. Which can feel frustrating and futile. 

Hopefully the sale doesn't go through before Diablo 4 releases on PS5, because that's the only game I care about anymore from them.

• 2 weeks later...

Redfall looks interesting. That trailer made it look like a Destiny style live service game, with gear to chase and instanced dungeons, but I gather from their website that it's still a single-player open world game with optional co-op. I'm hoping that the player in the demo was moving slowly for demo purposes, because if actual gameplay moves that slowly it could be a slog.