Captain Marvel Official Trailer

legend

15 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I don't understand complaining that Marvel is too powerful for the MCU after what we saw in Infinity War. We saw Thor power up in crazy ways, surviving in space, taking the "full force" of a star, mowing down enemies and ships. We saw Iron Man go through a similar exponential increase in power with a nanotech suit that allowed him to go nearly toe to toe with a Thanos wielding multiple infinity stones. At the other end of the spectrum, Vision, who wields an infinity stone and seemed essentially invulnerable, got completely sidelined by a pair of goons and a sharp stick. We also saw Scarlet Witch, who apparently is powerful enough to destroy an infinity stone(!) and lay waste to armies, sidelined by emotion and then overwhelmed by Thanos.

Point being that "power levels" in the MCU fluctuate wildly depending on what the story calls for, which is perfectly fine with me.

@Greatoneshere's worry that she's too new for Endgame resonates with me a bit more. I'm fine with her being there, but I hope (and expect) Endgame will focus on the characters we've had around for a long time and who are likely departing. Use those characters to endear us to Marvel in a way that was a bit lacking in her own film and I'll be happy.

I simply meant too powerful that such a new character just showing up to defeat Thanos (theoretically) is boring, is all. Thor doing the same would be fine with me, since I'm connected to his character over multiple films, etc. In general I was already aware that Captain Marvel is Marvel's Wonder Woman/Superman, so I'm fine with that. It's cool to see OP powers generally speaking. I hope that makes it make more sense. 

Definitely more worried that she'll be shoehorned into an important role that she isn't deserving of yet. 

Thank you for posting about power levels @TwinIon . I was coming here to say that. I just saw IW again this past weekend and compared to the likes of Thor, Dr. Strange and Iron Man, I think she's not overpowered at all. Insanely powerful though? Yes, of course. Thanos humbled Hulk but had to put up quite a fight against Iron-Man. For all we know, Iron-Man seems like he can take out Captain Marvel with all his new tricks.

Like you, I'm very curious how they'll meld her in with the rest of the team this late into the game. I'm confident in Marvel though and I know it'll be great.

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I simply meant too powerful that such a new character just showing up to defeat Thanos (theoretically) is boring, is all. Thor doing the same would be fine with me, since I'm connected to his character over multiple films, etc. In general I was already aware that Captain Marvel is Marvel's Wonder Woman/Superman, so I'm fine with that. It's cool to see OP powers generally speaking. I hope that makes it make more sense. 

Definitely more worried that she'll be shoehorned into an important role that she isn't deserving of yet. 

I too was a bit worried she'd be like a Deus Ex Machina after all we've seen in the Marvel movies but I'm confident they'll handle that part of the story well. There is no way at all they'd introduce her and she can easily take out Thanos. A big help given who's left though? Oh yeah. And I think that's the key here. She's filling in the gaps for some of the heroes who were dusted.

1 minute ago, NeoJoe said:

I too was a bit worried she'd be like a Deus Ex Machina after all we've seen in the Marvel movies but I'm confident they'll handle that part of the story well. There is no way at all they'd introduce her and she can easily take out Thanos. A big help given who's left though? Oh yeah. And I think that's the key here. She's filling in the gaps for some of the heroes who were dusted.

Endgame will be fine, I'm fairly certain (it's the writing and directing team that gave us Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Civil War as well as Avengers: Infinity War). I just wish Captain Marvel had been better so I'd care more about her character in whatever capacity they do use her in for Endgame. Now I feel like Endgame has to do some heavy lifting with her character, depending on how much they use her. 

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

The movie never breathes, but the movie is also very boring. There just weren't any stakes at any point in time. How a fast moving film can also feel so boring is, as always, a mystery to me (see: Solo, etc.).

This is the result of Captain Marvel having a lot of stuff they want to do while also trying to tie into stuff they've already done while making sure they don't overplay their hand or step on the toes of previous films this one is trying to retcon ever so gently. Nothing that happened in this movie can be of much consequence since we've already experienced the consequences. I'm strongly of the opinion that the movie would have been better if they had remained in space longer and left any and all of the Earth stuff for the final act. I would have rather spent more time with Ronan and Yon-Rogg.

10 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

This is the result of Captain Marvel having a lot of stuff they want to do while also trying to tie into stuff they've already done while making sure they don't overplay their hand or step on the toes of previous films this one is trying to retcon ever so gently. Nothing that happened in this movie can be of much consequence since we've already experienced the consequences. I'm strongly of the opinion that the movie would have been better if they had remained in space longer and left any and all of the Earth stuff for the final act. I would have rather spent more time with Ronan and Yon-Rogg.

The first 20 minutes in space are absolutely the highlight of the film so I agree it should have stayed there. We never even get to know Yon-Rogg's team, just "evil chick with gun" and "bearded blue Volstagg from Thor", random blue grunt soldier guy, and Korath, who we're familiar with thanks to Guardians of the Galaxy (and Marvel and Yonn-Rogg themselves). I thought we were gonna get some Mass Effect/Anthem-type shit and I was all in for that movie but then they pivoted completely. I mean, holy shit:

An entire race of aliens (the Kree) being run by an A.I. supreme intelligence has so much potential (see Psycho-Pass) but they are the dumbest, most fake looking scenes in this film and the A.I. just comes off as hokey. I'm not sure why they even bothered to add yet another layer to the film if they were going to move and pivot the story a thousand times throughout.

Interestingly, Captain Marvel fails for many of the same reasons Solo failed: origin story, too much fan service, gentle retconning, story moving too quickly but also being a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing. 

@Greatoneshere I don't understand the complaint that she's too new to be in Endgame. How many movies and appearances did Thor and Captain America have before Avengers? Black Widow showed up in IM2 literally just before playing a pivotal role in Avengers (let alone Hawkeye). There's a bunch of examples of that sort of thing, it's nothing new in the MCU.

12 minutes ago, Reputator said:

@Greatoneshere I don't understand the complaint that she's too new to be in Endgame. How many movies and appearances did Thor and Captain America have before Avengers? Black Widow showed up in IM2 literally just before playing a pivotal role in Avengers (let alone Hawkeye). There's a bunch of examples of that sort of thing, it's nothing new in the MCU.

I mean she's too new to Endgame if she plays a pivotal role in the story. I don't mind her being there in a much more supporting role.Comparing it to Thor and Captain America appearing in Avengers is not analogous because Endgame is the buildup we've been waiting for from the start - since Iron Man 1 in 2008. Avengers was great just to see these characters teaming up for the first time - Captain Marvel being in Endgame has no such aspect. I don't want some Johnny/Jane come lately stealing the thunder or undermining that build up at the last second.

I have no problem with her being in the film, I just don't want her being shoe-horned into an important role better reserved for a character or characters that have been around - Endgame is for them, not her, in my mind. 

I mean, if its done well, then I'm in, but Captain Marvel (the film) didn't lay great groundwork for it to work well if they go the "Captain Marvell plays pivotal role in Endgame" route.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean she's too new to Endgame if she plays a pivotal role in the story. I don't mind her being there in a much more supporting role.Comparing it to Thor and Captain America appearing in Avengers is not analogous because Endgame is the buildup we've been waiting for from the start - since Iron Man 1 in 2008. I don't want some Jane come lately stealing the thunder or undermining that build up at the last second.

I have no problem with her being in the film, I just don't want her being shoe-horned into an important role better reserved for a character or characters that have been around - Endgame is for them, not her, in my mind. 

I mean, if its done well, then I'm in, but Captain Marvel (the film) didn't lay great groundwork for it to work well if they go the "Captain Marvell plays pivotal role in Endgame". 

I mean, I hate to tell you this, but Captain Marvel plays a pivotal role in Endgame. Full stop, we already know that. The stinger at the end of IW set that up already.

Now don't get me wrong, I have many of the same concerns about her stealing the spotlight from the characters that earned it (see my first post after viewing it), but you can't hope she WON'T have a somewhat keystone place in the story. There's too much suggestion that she will.

And add to that, when have modern creators been able to execute a satisfying ending to long-running franchises like this? Let alone something as big as the MCU, which no one has attempted before? Set your expectations accordingly.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I mean, I hate to tell you this, but Captain Marvel plays a pivotal role in Endgame. Full stop, we already know that. The stinger at the end of IW set that up already.

Now don't get me wrong, I have many of the same concerns about her stealing the spotlight from the characters that earned it (see my first post after viewing it), but you can't hope she WON'T have a somewhat keystone place in the story. There's too much suggestion that she will.

And add to that, when have modern creators been able to execute a satisfying ending to long-running franchises like this? Let alone something as big as the MCU, which no one has attempted before? Set your expectations accordingly.

My expectations are set accordingly - I'm just hoping for something as good as The Winter Soldier/Civil War/Infinity War, and I think that level of expectation is fair. As for Captain Marvel, what I mean by pivotal role here isn't that she's in the movie and does an important thing, I mean how much screentime is she getting? Is she just gonna show up and tell everyone to shut up and listen to her? Is she in a supportive role like many of the characters in Infinity War or is she co-lead with Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, etc.? I already assume she will be key in defeating Thanos but I'd rather her almost be used like a weapon for the plot and be a supporting character rather than she takes over everything is all. She's too new to Endgame for that.

32 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

My expectations are set accordingly - I'm just hoping for something as good as The Winter Soldier/Civil War/Infinity War, and I think that level of expectation is fair. As for Captain Marvel, what I mean by pivotal role here isn't that she's in the movie and does an important thing, I mean how much screentime is she getting? Is she just gonna show up and tell everyone to shut up and listen to her? Is she in a supportive role like many of the characters in Infinity War or is she co-lead with Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, etc.? I already assume she will be key in defeating Thanos but I'd rather her almost be used like a weapon for the plot and be a supporting character rather than she takes over everything is all. She's too new to Endgame for that.

My expectation is that this is going to be an Iron Man/Captain America movie with tons of supporting actors.  

My guess is Iron Man Dies (sacrifice to save the world) and Cap goes back in time to hook up with his girl and stays back there to live his life with her.  

I'm probably wrong on all that.  I have a terrible track record on predictions.  

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

The first 20 minutes in space are absolutely the highlight of the film so I agree it should have stayed there. We never even get to know Yon-Rogg's team, just "evil chick with gun" and "bearded blue Volstagg from Thor", random blue grunt soldier guy, and Korath, who we're familiar with thanks to Guardians of the Galaxy (and Marvel and Yonn-Rogg themselves). I thought we were gonna get some Mass Effect/Anthem-type shit and I was all in for that movie but then they pivoted completely. I mean, holy shit:

Hide contents

An entire race of aliens (the Kree) being run by an A.I. supreme intelligence has so much potential (see Psycho-Pass) but they are the dumbest, most fake looking scenes in this film and the A.I. just comes off as hokey. I'm not sure why they even bothered to add yet another layer to the film if they were going to move and pivot the story a thousand times throughout.

Interestingly, Captain Marvel fails for many of the same reasons Solo failed: origin story, too much fan service, gentle retconning, story moving too quickly but also being a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing. 

But Solo was a fun and enjoyable movie. It failed because the SW fan base are foolish, entitled, childish fools.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:46 AM, Greatoneshere said:

So I finally saw Captain Marvel last night. It was fine. It wasn't particularly good nor particularly bad, it was just mediocre. Maybe slightly above average. Ultimately I would give it a 6/10. Here is my updated MCU origin story films ranking:

My Ranking:

-Iron Man 1

-Captain America: The First Avenger

-Black Panther

-Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1

-Doctor Strange

-Spider-Man: Homecoming

-Ant-Man

-Thor

-Captain Marvel

-The Incredible Hulk

Honestly, my biggest problem with the film is two-fold: it moves way too fast so that the film never breathes or gets a chance to have character building scenes or drama - everything is BIG and IMPORTANT but we gotta go from space stuff to fish out of water Earth stuff to buddy comedy stuff to villain reversal stuff to final act 3 save the situation stuff. The movie never breathes, but the movie is also very boring. There just weren't any stakes at any point in time. How a fast moving film can also feel so boring is, as always, a mystery to me (see: Solo, etc.). The de-ageing CG was fantastic and Samuel L. Jackson was great at playing a very different type of Fury though I think they took it way too far with the jokiness of Fury in this - he seemed like a low-level joke of a cop, not someone who one day becomes the baddest motherfucker at SHIELD. Brie Larson was . . . fine. She did run funny at times, but she sold the action scenes and the seriousness of her attitude with authenticity. But she's never given much drama to work with nor much of any other mode to play. We'll need to see more of her before judging. I enjoyed their scenes but it's a damn shame the film sidelined Korath, Ronan and Agent Phil Coulson. I was hoping to get more background on all of them (thus also retroactively making the weakest part (the villains) of Guardians of the Galaxy better) but these players were mostly wasted. The film was funny and fun and mildly enjoyable but ultimately very forgettable, like Ant-Man and the Wasp. 

I kind of wish she wasn't in Endgame because she's simply too powerful (seemingly) and she's just too new for Endgame's stakes. But we'll see.

Edit: To be clear, this movie wasn't made with me as the target audience in mind. I can definitely see preteen and teenage girls totally digging the fun and cool parts of the movie a lot and not caring about what older people might normally care about in films, and hey, it's a PG-13 film starring a 29-year old actress intentionally aimed at making a good movie whilst also empowering preteen and teenage girls. On that level, the movie succeeds somewhat, though not nearly as well as Wonder Woman did, I think. My wife (I'm 32, she's 31) liked it less than I did, for whatever that's worth. 

Yeah I agree with this, as the biggest problem was with the character-defining metamorphosis from Vers to Captain Marvel.  It was simply a good moment when Carol says, "You've been holding me back", but it didn't feel completely earned and could have been even better if we had actually been shown more of Danvers before the Kree took her.  They really shortcut those character traits by telling us what she was like through one line her best friend says (You were the strongest woman I knew before you got those powers).  I would have rather seen that, or show us more of her being handicapped (like the fight with the restraints on her fist), and shown us more of her being purposefully held back by the Kree.  But I guess we didn't get that because of the choice to focus on the other billion things the movie was doing.  It's kind of the opposite of Thor 1, where the entire movie was about showing us Thor as a hothead and then him being humbled.  The movie did its world-building in a very efficient way, too, to make time for Thor's character.  The biggest letdown is really a matter of contrast - the ending isn't as visually spectacular as the beginning.  

23 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

I had a few problems with captain marvel, but my biggest is the way she just dominated everything to end the threat. Felt like there was no struggle, just awakening and then ungodly power.

The worst possible version of Endgame would be if she shows up to the Avengers complex after they have been beaten a couple more times already (2/3 of the way into the movie) then she just takes over and saves the day for everyone.

1 hour ago, TheGreatGamble said:

It’s failure was a backlash at Disney over IX. 

By IX I assume you mean TLJ (which was VIII)? If so, your thesis is that people who disliked TLJ are so petty that they refused to enjoy Solo? What about the people who like TLJ but didn't like Solo?

20 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

It’s failure was a backlash at Disney over IX. It wasn’t a great movie, but it was fun and enjoyable.

Much backlash at a movie that was well liked by every reliable metric. 

I cant wait for episode 9 to come out and make a ridiculous sum of money so we can retire forever the notion that Solo’s performance had anything to do with TLJ and everything to do with it being a dumb idea with poor marketing.

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'd figured they'd have made it easier to see the movie in time for Endgame. :shrug:

All you really need to know:

Captain Marvel is OP and after meeting Fury in the 90's she went into space to help aliens but not before giving him a way to page her for emergencies only.