Captain Marvel Official Trailer

legend

I saw Captain Marvel last night with my sister. First time I went to. Tuesday showing of something at a dine and watch where the showing was actually crowded. How’s well for audience falloff in second week. 

I I liked the movie. The movie took a bit to hook me and make me feel invested. It really didn’t feel like the movie started until she got to earth. 

After that I felt it did very well for an origin story. I ended up liking it more than Womderwoman. Far from my favorite Marvel movie, but nowhere near lowest on the list. 

I found it odd that they have seemingly been so careful in the MCU to avoid continuity errors that in Captain Marvel they would retcon using the acronym S.H.I.E.L.D. instead of the full name, Strategic Homeland Intervention Enforcement Legistcs Division.

3 hours ago, Pikachu said:

Knocking the head off of the True Lies cardboard cutout isn't a shot at True Lies for being sexist, it was a nod to Cameron and put there out of nostalgia, at least, if you want to believe the directors (who preferred getting one of The Mask). I also don't believe the conspiracy that Cameron doesn't want people to remember True Lies. Instead of linking to a 2017 article about the status of the Blu Ray, they could have linked to one from January where Cameron says the transfer is ready, he just needs to find 14 hours per movie to perfect the transfer, which he plans to do this year.

If you want to call True Lies sexist and racist, that's a fine argument to have, but the author really shouldn't be making things up about what Captain Marvel is saying or about why True Lies isn't on Blu Ray.

11 hours ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Most friends in real life like talking about abouut this shit while also being aware that at the end of the day none of this shit matters. This healthy relationship to have with the pop culture and entertainment we consume.

Yeah no shit lmfao. I’m not out getting a drink with you guys I’m sitting on my fucking couch. 

On 3/11/2019 at 10:25 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

And Dark Knight and Logan did :confused: Did we watch different movies? I loved both... they're my top two superhero films to date. But at the end of the day they are in fact, superhero films. I'm not sure exactly what it is you want that you think you won't get because of the success of the Marvel films but I hope you get it :peace:

I think Dark Knight spent a lot of time melding various political issues including surveillance, vigilante justification, torture, using lies to justify an end, etc. A few of those themes are also the reason why I think Captain America: Winter Soldier is arguably the best Marvel film because it actually has something to say, even though most of it was broad strokes. A lesser level down are films like Venom, where it channels some cautionary elements about biotechnology, but everyone knows they just needed a plot device to justify the film's battles. 

Logan to me, is one of the few comic movies that reflects on a hero at the end of a journey where redemption is nearly impossible. The story has nothing to do with saving the world or battling a super villain, rather, but it is a reflection of what a man has to do to die with some kind of fulfillment. I have similar appreciation for A Days of the Future Past where the real villain in the film is humanity's distrust and our misguided beliefs of safety through separation. Read the synopsis of Noah Hawley's Doctor Doom movie:

"Hawley said during the panel, as he has before, that he envisions Doctor Doom as a geopolitical thriller more than a standard superhero movie. It begins with Doom putting a dome over Latveria, the fictional European country he rules. He later invites a female journalist to be his voice to the world, meaning its protagonist would be someone without superpowers."

Could this film be a disaster? Sure. But I give him mad respect for trying something different, for taking risks. I hope this gets made. Do I think Disney will support this? I am not holding on to hope. Marvel Studios is unquestionably in the driver seat. The industry goes where they will go. I will say that I am optimistic to see films like Black Widow, Black Panther, and even The Eternal getting made. Maybe none of those films are that groundbreaking, but getting indie directors like Cate Shortland, Ryan Coogler, and Chloe Zhao is a positive first step that they want more director input, and perhaps, more uniqueness. 

I just saw it, it was fine. I didn't feel like she really had much of a struggle, which I guess was fine for an origin movie, but I really wonder where they can go with the eventual sequel. If she can free fall through ships and take ship mounted blasts straight on, what kind of struggle could she possibly face in the future? I also found the villains to be especially weak as villains, though they were fine as characters.

Spoiler

I mean, the only real villain was maybe the Supreme Intelligence? Everyone else was just a soldier doing their job.

3 minutes ago, jaethos said:

I just saw it, it was fine. I didn't feel like she really had much of a struggle, which I guess was fine for an origin movie, but I really wonder where they can go with the eventual sequel. If she can free fall through ships and take ship mounted blasts straight on, what kind of struggle could she possibly face in the future? I also found the villains to be especially weak as villains, though they were fine as characters.

Hide contents

I mean, the only real villain was maybe the Supreme Intelligence? Everyone else was just a soldier doing their job.

Thor is equally powerful, but they still find ways for him to struggle, so I think it will be okay.

46 minutes ago, jaethos said:

Reveal hidden contents

The sequel will be Captain Marvel: (Wo)Man of Steel 

Saw the movie on Friday, and I liked it.  It wasn't amazing, and it wasn't my favorite of the MCU movies, but it was a lot of fun.

I think the biggest problem Captain Marvel has is the same problem Doctor Strange and Thor had.  They can't easily fall back on decades of nostalgia and familiarity to tell their stories.  People who have never picked up a comic book ever can tell you what Spider Man can do, or what Captain America is all about in broad strokes.  Those same people might know Thor from history class, but ask them about Dr. Strange or Captain Marvel, and you're going to get  a blank stare.

Captain Marvel had the unenviable task of bringing a clueless audience up to speed on two different alien races, a supreme intelligence, and the titular hero all in two hours.  That's heavy lifting for anyone.  Even though Captain America did have an origin story of sorts, the writers were allowed to have fun with it because it was a foregone conclusion the audience didn't need to pay attention to.  It's why Ragnarok is such a blast, they got all of the Thor mythology bullshit out of the way and just got to dick around for a while.  

As for the other nonsense complaints, give me a break.  Oh noes, a fight on top of a train is cliche.  So what?  It's a story about a person in tights beating the shit out of seemingly impossible odds because of randomly granted powers.  As long as the execution is good, you can forgive the hoary old tropes, and watching an old lady flip around like a gymnast in a busy train is novel enough to be entertaining.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jaethos said:

Hide contents

I don’t think this is actually going to be an issue. The MCU “power scale” is so well lubricated that it shouldn’t be a challenge to find someone to challenge Captain Marvel, or to put her in a situation where she’d be challenged.

Thanos merc’d half the universe in Infinity War, but Captain America managed to hang with him solo for a second there and take Thanos by surprise when he was rocking the fully kitted gauntlet, which is... ludicrous. But it worked in the moment.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Thanos merc’d half the universe in Infinity War, but Captain America managed to hang with him solo for a second there and take Thanos by surprise when he was rocking the fully kitted gauntlet, which is... ludicrous. But it worked in the moment.

Technically Thanos' hand wasn't closed into a fist (as Captain America was keeping his fingers apart) so he was just holding Thanos himself back as Thanos was unable to use the stones in that moment. 

So not as ludicrous as one would think. Cap obviously was putting his all into that moment and still got wrecked but not that weird that he could hold him back for a moment or two. 

Saw this at a matinee, and I'd say I really liked it. Fans of DBZ will probably appreciate her moment of "unleashing" a little more than others, because I definitely got a Goku Super Saiyan vibe out of that.

But she IS ridiculously powerful, and regardless of what her comic book source says about that, to @Ghost_MH's point I think it's rather surprising that she seems almost entirely out of bounds of everyone else in the MCU, even characters that could have been nearly as capable. My only concern with that is how it will affect the conclusion of the Infinity Saga, if she essentially swoops in as a deux ex machina solution to everything and overshadows or even obsoletes the 11 years worth of characters that have been building to this final movie — or if she's humbled by the Infinity Stones in much the same way everyone else has been.

Her place in that movie won't be helped by her lack of personality thus far, and that could adversely affect the quality of Endgame, again depending on how much screen-time and importance she is given in the story. She's about as deep as a puddle right now, but I didn't find her unlikable. Humorless, virtually flawless, yes, but not unlikable. I'd rank my origin list as:

Iron Man

GotG

Captain America

Captain Marvel

Dr. Strange

Black Panther

Ant-Man

Thor

I'd actually place it very close to Captain America, so that's definitely to say it's no slouch. I had my expectations low, and it broke through them.

8 hours ago, Reputator said:

Saw this at a matinee, and I'd say I really liked it. Fans of DBZ will probably appreciate her moment of "unleashing" a little more than others, because I definitely got a Goku Super Saiyan vibe out of that.

But she IS ridiculously powerful, and regardless of what her comic book source says about that, to @Ghost_MH's point I think it's rather surprising that she seems almost entirely out of bounds of everyone else in the MCU, even characters that could have been nearly as capable. My only concern with that is how it will affect the conclusion of the Infinity Saga, if she essentially swoops in as a deux ex machina solution to everything and overshadows or even obsoletes the 11 years worth of characters that have been building to this final movie — or if she's humbled by the Infinity Stones in much the same way everyone else has been.

Her place in that movie won't be helped by her lack of personality thus far, and that could adversely affect the quality of Endgame, again depending on how much screen-time and importance she is given in the story. She's about as deep as a puddle right now, but I didn't find her unlikable. Humorless, virtually flawless, yes, but not unlikable. I'd rank my origin list as:

Iron Man

GotG

Captain America

Captain Marvel

Dr. Strange

Black Panther

Ant-Man

Thor

I'd actually place it very close to Captain America, so that's definitely to say it's no slouch. I had my expectations low, and it broke through them.

I don't really understand why you think her powers are so out of bounds compared to other characters. Thor absorbs the might of a star (whatever that means :p ), obliterates an army, and ultimately takes down Thanos in 1 move at the end of Infinity War.

Dr. Strange has similarly been crazy powerful having (previously) controlled time itself with mastery over the time stone, effortlessly sends people to other dimensions, and has reality stone-like powers without the reality stone.

Hulk is... well, Hulk :p He has indefinite limit of strength and goes toe to toe with Thor whom we just covered.

Marvel flys around space and shoots down some spaceships. That's clearly in the upper range of Marvel heroes in the MCU, but by no means out of bounds.

I'm not sure I understand the humorless comment either. She jokes and makes sarcastic comments a lot. Maybe you didn't like her humor? But that doesn't make her humorless.

Otherwise I hold the movie in similar esteem relative to the pack as you.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, legend said:

I don't really understand why you think her powers are so out of bounds compared to other characters. Thor absorbs the might of a star (whatever that means :p ), obliterates an army, and ultimately takes down Thanos in 1 move at the end of Infinity War.

Dr. Strange has similarly been crazy powerful having (previously) controlled time itself with mastery over the time stone, effortlessly sends people to other dimensions, and has reality stone-like powers without the reality stone.

Hulk is... well, Hulk :p He has indefinite limit of strength and goes toe to toe with Thor whom we just covered.

Marvel flys around space and shoots down some spaceships. That's clearly in the upper range of Marvel heroes in the MCU, but by no means out of bounds.

I'm not sure I understand the humorless comment either. She jokes and makes sarcastic comments a lot. Maybe you didn't like her humor? But that doesn't make her humorless.

Otherwise I hold the movie in similar esteem relative to the pack as you.

Well, debating who is more powerful between Marvel and (Stormbreaker) Thor is probably the makings of a nerd war that could rage on for decades, and it's possibly a little out of my depth. But just the fact that she could zip through space and cut through ships like butter seemed like quite a bit more than what even suped-up Thor can do.

Dr. Strange has proven to be a little bit of a disappointment though and if we go by Infinity War, even Iron Man with nanotech stood toe-to-toe with Thanos better than him (which is a bad ass moment and I'm not unhappy with). But with all the hype I read about Dr. Strange leading up to his appearance, he was definitely toned down significantly.

Scarlet Witch was similarly hyped but while she can lift heavy machinery and toss it across the field, she doesn't do so effortlessly, and becomes very drained afterwards. There are very hard limits to her abilities (though she's been slowly getting more capable as the films have progressed).

Regarding humorless...yeah she made some attempts at jokes. In much the same way that a super serious co-worker might attempt to make jokes but doesn't really understand what's funny. And to be fair, making "jokes" isn't the only way to have humor. Several characters in the MCU don't joke around but the films find ways to give them moments of levity anyway. So maybe it was a fault of writing, but she was essentially a stone wall for most of the movie (barring a moment of laughter with Fury, at HIS joke).

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

Well, debating who is more powerful between Marvel and (Stormbreaker) Thor is probably the makings of a nerd war that could rage on for decades, and it's possibly a little out of my depth. But just the fact that she could zip through space and cut through ships like butter seemed like quite a bit more than what even suped-up Thor can do.

They're different for sure; Thor can't fly (properly), for example. But nothing she did seemed out of his league in terms of lets say DPS or HP :p I think what she can withstand still remains to be seen.

Dr. Strange has proven to be a little bit of a disappointment though and if we go by Infinity War, even Iron Man with nanotech stood toe-to-toe with Thanos better than him (which is a bad ass moment and I'm not unhappy with). But with all the hype I read about Dr. Strange leading up to his appearance, he was definitely toned down significantly.

I don't think Tony did better against Thanos than Strange did. Also, it seems probable that Strange won the whole thing for them and deliberately played it as he did.

Scarlet Witch was similarly hyped but while she can lift heavy machinery and toss it across the field, she doesn't do so effortlessly, and becomes very drained afterwards. There are very hard limits to her abilities (though she's been slowly getting more capable as the films have progressed).

Agreed, I don't think SW is in the same league as Thor, Marvel, Strange, or Hulk.

Regarding humorless...yeah she made some attempts at jokes. In much the same way that a super serious co-worker might attempt to make jokes but doesn't really understand what's funny. And to be fair, making "jokes" isn't the only way to have humor. Several characters in the MCU don't joke around but the films find ways to give them moments of levity anyway. So maybe it was a fault of writing, but she was essentially a stone wall for most of the movie (barring a moment of laughter with Fury, at HIS joke).

Not personally finding her funny isn't the same as her being humorless :p I mean, they introduce her with her making jokes with (at) her mentor.

Regarding her character being humorless, all we have to go on with this MCU rendition of her is one movie, where she makes some fairly poor attempts at humor IMO, like someone that wants people to think she's funny, but has no idea how to do it. I'm fully open to the possibility of seeing more moments of levity in the future, which I do think is important in this universe for characters that run the risk of being over-serious. Characters like Thor and Steve Rogers could also be described as humorless most of the time, but the films have given them opportunities to charm the audience a bit with some light-heartedness, and I think Captain Marvel will definitely need that going forward if Marvel Studios wants her to carry the franchise.

39 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Regarding her character being humorless, all we have to go on with this MCU rendition of her is one movie, where she makes some fairly poor attempts at humor IMO, like someone that wants people to think she's funny, but has no idea how to do it. I'm fully open to the possibility of seeing more moments of levity in the future, which I do think is important in this universe for characters that run the risk of being over-serious. Characters like Thor and Steve Rogers could also be described as humorless most of the time, but the films have given them opportunities to charm the audience a bit with some light-heartedness, and I think Captain Marvel will definitely need that going forward if Marvel Studios wants her to carry the franchise.

Like you said, in your opinion. I thought she was very funny and enjoyed her sass. :)

Right, but as I said, I think the term you're looking for is "not funny." Humorless means she doesn't care for jokes (either making them or hearing them), which clearly isn't the case.

I just saw the movie. I really like it. I think the story has just enough heart for you to keep going and the characters showed enough charisma and personality without overwhelming the audience, something that other Marvel films had trouble with. Brie Larson is fine as Captain Marvel, despite a lot of criticism about her portrayal that I read about and it is always great to see Fury on screen doing something clever. 

I think the action sequences are definitely the weakest part about this movie. Spaceship dogfights? Really? Star Wars sort of owned every shot of those already. None of the villains are that interesting and she didn't really fight anyone of note. I also feel that she has gotten so powerful so quickly, all the battle scenes are sort of pointless anyway.

But overall, I enjoyed the movie. Not top tier Marvel, but a good mid-tier one. 

So I finally saw Captain Marvel last night. It was fine. It wasn't particularly good nor particularly bad, it was just mediocre. Maybe slightly above average. Ultimately I would give it a 6/10. Here is my updated MCU origin story films ranking:

My Ranking:

-Iron Man 1

-Captain America: The First Avenger

-Black Panther

-Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1

-Doctor Strange

-Spider-Man: Homecoming

-Ant-Man

-Thor

-Captain Marvel

-The Incredible Hulk

Honestly, my biggest problem with the film is two-fold: it moves way too fast so that the film never breathes or gets a chance to have character building scenes or drama - everything is BIG and IMPORTANT but we gotta go from space stuff to fish out of water Earth stuff to buddy comedy stuff to villain reversal stuff to final act 3 save the situation stuff. The movie never breathes, but the movie is also very boring. There just weren't any stakes at any point in time. How a fast moving film can also feel so boring is, as always, a mystery to me (see: Solo, etc.). The de-ageing CG was fantastic and Samuel L. Jackson was great at playing a very different type of Fury though I think they took it way too far with the jokiness of Fury in this - he seemed like a low-level joke of a cop, not someone who one day becomes the baddest motherfucker at SHIELD. Brie Larson was . . . fine. She did run funny at times, but she sold the action scenes and the seriousness of her attitude with authenticity. But she's never given much drama to work with nor much of any other mode to play. We'll need to see more of her before judging. I enjoyed their scenes but it's a damn shame the film sidelined Korath, Ronan and Agent Phil Coulson. I was hoping to get more background on all of them (thus also retroactively making the weakest part (the villains) of Guardians of the Galaxy better) but these players were mostly wasted. The film was funny and fun and mildly enjoyable but ultimately very forgettable, like Ant-Man and the Wasp. 

I kind of wish she wasn't in Endgame because she's simply too powerful (seemingly) and she's just too new for Endgame's stakes. But we'll see.

Edit: To be clear, this movie wasn't made with me as the target audience in mind. I can definitely see preteen and teenage girls totally digging the fun and cool parts of the movie a lot and not caring about what older people might normally care about in films, and hey, it's a PG-13 film starring a 29-year old actress intentionally aimed at making a good movie whilst also empowering preteen and teenage girls. On that level, the movie succeeds somewhat, though not nearly as well as Wonder Woman did, I think. My wife (I'm 32, she's 31) liked it less than I did, for whatever that's worth. 

• Like 1

I don't understand complaining that Marvel is too powerful for the MCU after what we saw in Infinity War. We saw Thor power up in crazy ways, surviving in space, taking the "full force" of a star, mowing down enemies and ships. We saw Iron Man go through a similar exponential increase in power with a nanotech suit that allowed him to go nearly toe to toe with a Thanos wielding multiple infinity stones. At the other end of the spectrum, Vision, who wields an infinity stone and seemed essentially invulnerable, got completely sidelined by a pair of goons and a sharp stick. We also saw Scarlet Witch, who apparently is powerful enough to destroy an infinity stone(!) and lay waste to armies, sidelined by emotion and then overwhelmed by Thanos.

Point being that "power levels" in the MCU fluctuate wildly depending on what the story calls for, which is perfectly fine with me.

@Greatoneshere's worry that she's too new for Endgame resonates with me a bit more. I'm fine with her being there, but I hope (and expect) Endgame will focus on the characters we've had around for a long time and who are likely departing. Use those characters to endear us to Marvel in a way that was a bit lacking in her own film and I'll be happy.

• Thanks 1