End of the year. What game had the very best visuals in 2022?

best3444

This can include the master race folks in here too. What game had the very best graphics this year?

As a console only gamer, it's a toss up between Forbidden West and GOW Ragnarok for me.

In the end, I'm going with Forbidden West with the best visuals for this year. 

Ragnarok is a beauty to be hold but Forbidden West beats it with character models and the sheer size and amazing detail in a much bigger gaming environment. 

Honorable mentioned would be Elden Ring for it's stunning art direction even though performance is not the greatest.

Forbidden West still, though a few things are close for me in different ways like Portal RTX, Witcher 3 Ray Tracing update, Callisto Protocol, Dying Light 2, and Miles Morales (pc versions I would consider close only I mean. 

Haven't played enough Plagues Tale Requiem to judge it but that’s probably close on pc and console too but at this point I kinda want to wait for the ray tracing update on pc to play it. 

• Like 1

Just now, crispy4000 said:

Haven’t played much new this year, so just based on footage, Horizon FW seems like the front runner for visual spectacle.  TMNT for 2D.  Portal RTX for tech.

Oh yeah TMNT too! Good call, I want to fucking eat that game it looks so good to me. I’ll just tie it with Horizon.

• Guillotine 1

16 hours ago, nublood said:

I know it didn’t come out this year, but Ratchet and Clank is still the king of visuals for me with Demon Souls in a close second. Horizon West looks REALLY good too. But I just find the game supremely boring. 

So your pick is also FW :P

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Elden ring is the most  impressive new thing I played. Witcher 3 update looks incredible tho and speaks to the art direction of that game.

I will say that while the underlying tech was nothing special, and it’s a game that has optimization poor enough that the best version to play is probably still the ps4 version on ps5 with BC, Elden Ring is quite an achievement in visual and level design. It’s like all pure art design skill, and along with the insane level design it often feels like its worthy of being a landmark current gen game despite there being negligible differences between the last gen and current gen versions.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Not that I don't like From's games but... from a graphical perspective?! What'd you play?

Uhhh elden ring, I guess Gran turismo, and a ton of indie games and backlog! 

I find horizon to be quite boring, god of war is a buy at half price game for me, and my current PC video card is on par with like a standard ps4 it seems haha. 

16 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Uhhh elden ring, I guess Gran turismo, and a ton of indie games and backlog! 

I find horizon to be quite boring, god of war is a buy at half price game for me, and my current PC video card is on par with like a standard ps4 it seems haha. 

boring  graphically though?!

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

boring  graphically though?!

FW is my choice because I’m a tech geek, but stylistically, compared to Elden Ring? I could see it. There can almost be a thoughtlessness to FW’s landscapes at times with asset density crowding areas in a way that comes across as sloppy instead of impressive. Mostly a beautiful game though still, and my personal choice, but I can understand the pov.

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I don't think I played enough this year to made a judgement. Ragnarok looked great, though.

And I know it was 2021, but I played through my first Ratchet & Clank game this year with Rift Apart and it was really stunning.

Ratchet, Ragnarok, and Forbidden West are absolutely phenomenal looking. When I bought my PS5 I think Ratchet was the first thing I fired up and my jaw hit the floor. 

From what I've played? Callisto. Looks significantly better at max settings than God of War, which has a lot more impressive set pieces but in terms of graphical fidelity isn't up to snuff in comparison.

Don't really care all that much either way though. Much more concerned about games that perform flawlessly, and there's very few that do that going around right now. Even all these performance modes can have serious hiccups at times. Kind of a bummer when you really enjoy silky smooth gameplay.

• Thanks 1

I agree with the seeming consensus that Forbidden West is the overall best looking game.

Elden Ring really impressed with the sheer amount of stuff and asset variety, but as an overall package it can't compete.

God of War really impressed with the fluidity of the graphics and the incredible detail that they put into the world, but there are times where it being designed for last gen did show through.

Ratchet and Clank also really impressed in how close it comes to legit animated film quality.

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

For me it's got to be Horizon Forbidden West followed closely by God of War: Ragnarok. 

I'm currently on my second playthrough of Ragnarok and it's blowing me away visually. I think I need to fire up Forbidden West to confirm my decision. :p

• Haha 1

Just now, best3444 said:

Is this true, @stepee?

Yeah it’s pretty true. GOW would definitely not be in my top 5 on the year though. It’s a great looking game with fantastic art and can get extra bonus points for performance but tech wise it’s pretty firmly a nice swan song to last gen technology. It has some really nice high res textures and some really cool set pieces though. 

Callisto Protocol has spotty performance with ray tracing but it probably looks better than GOW2 even without it, and might be the closest looking thing to a CG movie with it on.  

• Thanks 1