End of the year. What game had the very best visuals in 2022?

best3444

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been playing a bunch of different games specifically to look at their graphics due to wanting to see everything on oled and having done that I don’t think I could even really give GOWR an honorable mention for this year (loved the game though!)

I think on ps4 vs other ps4 games on ps4 it probably ranks up there, I bet it’s perfectly designed to max what that system can do at 1080p/30fps. But it doesn’t really scale up beyond that at all on ps5, and really is just like a ps4 game got a ps5 60-90fps patch and res bump. The things they choose to add and use power on barely make a difference and I’m guessing we’re chosen for ease of implementation as they focused solely on the ps4 version. This would have worked for me much better tech wise as a ps5 launch game when there would still be some novelty to ps4 at 60fps. I wonder if that was the original idea before covid.

Going back and just looking through the areas and doing a few fights, I was actually disappointed with how it looked. Like, Uncharted 4 on pc impressed me a lot more. I know that's not exactly an apples to apples comparison but just sayin. I won’t say it was disappointing overall as when you are doing a play through you have all the cool set pieces and fighting always looks good and that does a lot of heavy lifting. But yeah, I think I was more impressed with GoW on launch even playing it at 1440p/30 at the time as it seemed like it was pushing a lot more recent tech.

Then after I went right back to looking at Plagues Tale Requiem on pc and that’s obviously an unfair comparison but they so obviously belong in different generations it doesn’t even make sense to acknowledge them in the same year.

I think 3D is at a point now where if it’s high res and at least 60fps then some stuff will always look good essentially and not age in the same way that older 3D has but that doesn’t mean it can’t continue to look even better. There is a lot of work still and lighting and geometry improvements we are getting right now especially are what I’m all about. 

40 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Eh. Unless games have a unique art style/cel shading practically all games look the same. And even then it is all up to personal preference. 

Who really cares bout graphics anymore anyway? Everything looks awesome nowadays. 

This 

I bought  every game that had hype and or was well reviewed on both new consoles and played non of them...lol. I favorite game was Vampire Survivors or peeks sake! Best visuals I saw was the 25 minutes I played of the New Ratchet and Clank. I did play and beat the last God of War and managed to not buy the new one day one knowing that I wouldn't get to it for a long while! At least I'm learning.

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Who really cares bout graphics anymore anyway? Everything looks awesome nowadays. 

I care. That's why I created the thread. 

22 hours ago, stepee said:

I don’t think I could even really give GOWR an honorable mention for this year.

I think on ps4 vs other ps4 games on ps4 it probably ranks up there, I bet it’s perfectly designed to max what that system can do at 1080p/30fps. But it doesn’t really scale up beyond that at all on ps5, and really is just like a ps4 game got a ps5 60-90fps patch and res bump. The things they choose to add and use power on barely make a difference and I’m guessing we’re chosen for ease of implementation as they focused solely on the ps4 version. This would have worked for me much better tech wise as a ps5 launch game when there would still be some novelty to ps4 at 60fps. I wonder if that was the original idea before covid.

Going back and just looking through the areas and doing a few fights, I was actually disappointed with how it looked. Like, Uncharted 4 on pc impressed me a lot more. I know that's not exactly an apples to apples comparison but just sayin. I won’t say it was disappointing overall as when you are doing a play through you have all the cool set pieces and fighting always looks good and that does a lot of heavy lifting. But yeah, I think I was more impressed with GoW on launch even playing it at 1440p/30 at the time as it seemed like it was pushing a lot more recent tech.

Then after I went right back to looking at Plagues Tale Requiem on pc and that’s obviously an unfair comparison but they so obviously belong in different generations it doesn’t even make sense to acknowledge them in the same year.

:facepalm:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Eh. Unless games have a unique art style/cel shading practically all games look the same. And even then it is all up to personal preference. 

Lots of cel shaded games look the same. :p

There's plenty of reasons to care about graphics today.  Near the top of the list for me is to play games that don't look overly smudgy and artifacted.  The techniques used to make certain games work on low end fixed hardware can be overbearing and gross.  This is why we all want a new Switch with DLSS so badly.  And honestly, it's why I think people shouldn't bother with Series S for much longer either.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I mean it’s not like it’s a crazy opinion, dF didn’t give it an honorable mention either!

DF list is not good. FW shouldn't be number one. As a console only gamer, Ragnarok impressed me much more than Horizon did. Games on their list are not that great technically at all. It was an awful year for visuals because of the God damn cross gen bullshit. 

Edit: I like to add that I just got done beating TLOU 1 on PS5 and still think Ragnarok looked better overall. 

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

DF list is not good. FW shouldn't be number one. As a console only gamer, Ragnarok impressed me much more than Horizon did. Games on their list are not that great technically at all. It was an awful year for visuals because of the God damn cross gen bullshit. 

I mean FW is definitely pushing just about every part of the visual package much higher than GOWR, I’m not sure if there is room for a debate on that really. If you didn’t like it’s art style that is one thing, but even without giving FW extra credit for being fully open word, it’s just not really close in any regard besides maybe texture resolution. 

I think you just really like GOWR, I’d check FW out again as a refresher what it looks like idk, I think even Santa Monica themselves admitted they aren’t pushing the ps5 in the same way FW is. 

Beyond that as far as their list is concerned, saying none of those are technically impressive just sounds like you are going off of feels more so than what the games are doing under the hood. There’s definitely some impressive stuff there, a lot of them are kinda only impressive tech on pc but it’s not a console only list.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I mean FW is definitely pushing just about every part of the visual package much higher than GOWR, I’m not sure if there is room for a debate on that really. If you didn’t like it’s art style that is one thing, but even without giving FW extra credit for being fully open word, it’s just not really close in any regard besides maybe texture resolution. 

I think you just really like GOWR, I’d check FW out again as a refresher what it looks like idk, I think even Santa Monica themselves admitted they aren’t pushing the ps5 in the same way FW is. 

Beyond that as far as their list is concerned, saying none of those are technically impressive just sounds like you are going off of feels more so than what the games are doing under the hood. There’s definitely some impressive stuff there, a lot of them are kinda only impressive tech on pc but it’s not a console only list.

I watched the entire video. I believe it was an hour long. The games on the list not only suck, but the visuals are just ok to me. A lot of PC tech with solid lighting and raytracing to hide flaws.

Also, I did fire up FW after beating Ragnarok and was actually taken back. It didn't look that amazing and the sky box is trash. They did a good job with characters and water. I'm not hating and realize I don't have a high end PC to see this stuff live. But what they showed In the videos didn't impress me at all. I mean TLOU 1 is on the list and I barely find that better looking than TLOU2. In fact, TLOU2 can do things better lol. 

We are at a transitional spot with graphics at the moment. We are now only crossing over to the new gen starting this year.

34 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I watched the entire video. I believe it was an hour long. The games on the list not only suck, but the visuals are just ok to me. A lot of PC tech with solid lighting and raytracing to hide flaws.

Also, I did fire up FW after beating Ragnarok and was actually taken back. It didn't look that amazing and the sky box is trash. They did a good job with characters and water. I'm not hating and realize I don't have a high end PC to see this stuff live. But what they showed In the videos didn't impress me at all. I mean TLOU 1 is on the list and I barely find that better looking than TLOU2. In fact, TLOU2 can do things better lol. 

We are at a transitional spot with graphics at the moment. We are now only crossing over to the new gen starting this year.

The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

• Haha 1

On 1/8/2023 at 3:08 PM, stepee said:

I’ve been playing a bunch of different games specifically to look at their graphics due to wanting to see everything on oled and having done that I don’t think I could even really give GOWR an honorable mention for this year (loved the game though!)

I think on ps4 vs other ps4 games on ps4 it probably ranks up there, I bet it’s perfectly designed to max what that system can do at 1080p/30fps.

God of War: Ragnarok is really impressive looking on PS4, it’s the best looking PS4 game that I’ve seen even better looking than Horizon Forbidden West.

5 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

God of War: Ragnarok is really impressive looking on PS4, it’s the best looking PS4 game that I’ve seen even better looking than Horizon Forbidden West.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking might be the case on ps4! 

53 minutes ago, best3444 said:

yeah we will just agree to disagree here :P

• Sicko Sherman 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Certainly not Pokemon players

:ohsnap:

Well Stepee absolutely adores the Pokémon games even though they run at 10fps in 480p. Yet he is probably the biggest graphics whore here and has the best tech available. It confuses the hell outta me but I don't think there's a game he DOESN'T like.   🤔 

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

Well Stepee absolutely adores the Pokémon games even though they run at 10fps in 480p. Yet he is probably the biggest graphics whore here and has the best tech available. It confuses the hell outta me but I don't think there's a game he DOESN'T like.   🤔 

To be fair, those who consider Elden Ring to be their GOTY could relate on some level.

Few people are such graphics whores that they couldn't enjoy a poorly optimized game now and again.  I think @Xbob42 might be the least tolerant here of it, but he'll still grind it out.

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

I don’t see what’s so confusing, If a game is fun to play it’s still fun to play even if the graphics aren’t good. My enjoyment of graphics tech and fun gameplay mechanics are two separate things and I can still appreciate one without the other to an extent.

I actually can appreciate a game with bad graphics more than a game with gameplay I don’t like though, as you need to actively engage with gameplay. I don’t like doing things that bore me, so if doesn’t matter when a RTS game looks really good as an example as I just don’t like that type of game.

Now I can really enjoy something mediocre if it has really good graphics too,  but the gameplay can’t be something I actively dislike.