End of the year. What game had the very best visuals in 2022?

best3444

I think there’s also something to the fact that a lot of games/developers aren’t even trying to push graphics tech, so fretting about HDRLSS4.0xd_8KFPS or whatever doesn’t apply to them. But for the games that are pushing the limit, I can understand wanting them to be pushed as far as possible. 

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

I don’t see what’s so confusing, If a game is fun to play it’s still fun to play even if the graphics aren’t good. My enjoyment of graphics tech and fun gameplay mechanics are two separate things and I can still appreciate one without the other to an extent.

I actually can appreciate a game with bad graphics more than a game with gameplay I don’t like though, as you need to actively engage with gameplay. I don’t like doing things that bore me, so if doesn’t matter when a RTS game looks really good as an example as I just don’t like that type of game.

Now I can really enjoy something mediocre if it has really good graphics too,  but the gameplay can’t be something I actively dislike. 

I understand but you really do enjoy most games you play. You seem pretty easy to please so graphics aren't a big deal to you. But yes, you can separate visuals and gameplay pretty well and I can't. If a game looks like ass I won't even touch it. 

But, for instance, The Witcher 3 looked really good but I absolutely hated the gameplay so I dropped it. 

:shrug:

32 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I understand but you really do enjoy most games you play. You seem pretty easy to please so graphics aren't a big deal to you. But yes, you can separate visuals and gameplay pretty well and I can't. If a game looks like ass I won't even touch it. 

But, for instance, The Witcher 3 looked really good but I absolutely hated the gameplay so I dropped it. 

You hated the gameplay of The Witcher 3 but liked the gameplay of RDR2?

tired give up GIF by Bounce

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

Well Stepee absolutely adores the Pokémon games even though they run at 10fps in 480p. Yet he is probably the biggest graphics whore here and has the best tech available. It confuses the hell outta me but I don't think there's a game he DOESN'T like.   🤔 

How TF did you get the Switch to achieve 10fps in Pokemon Violet/Scarlet????? I thought the Switch Pro was canceled :sadsun:

• True 1

50 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It’s the benefit of knowing the types of games I like and being able to feel out how I’ll like a game from impressions and such! I like most of the games I’m playing because I only play games I like. Believe me there are plenty of games I don’t like, I just don’t play them!

I’m very rarely surprised with how a game is once I start playing it, usually difficulty being too high being the hardest thing for me to sniff out before playing something.

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I think there’s also something to the fact that a lot of games/developers aren’t even trying to push graphics tech, so fretting about HDRLSS4.0xd_8KFPS or whatever doesn’t apply to them. But for the games that are pushing the limit, I can understand wanting them to be pushed as far as possible. 

Many developers aren't pushing things now, but more will with the cross gen period ending.

It's interesting times with graphics tech.  PC's have the expected power gap over consoles on paper, like any other gen.  But in practice, the gap is larger than ever before.  A lot of that is due to console upscaling tech (FSR2) not being so good at scaling from low resolutions, and their RT capability being exceedingly basic.  Things could get ugly if console devs start using frame injection and AMD's solution isn't a magic bullet.

My biggest concern going forward is that more games that 'push' the consoles could suffer from IQ issues.  And if you want to build a mid-gen refresh-equivalent PC to avoid that at 4K, your GPU alone will cost more than a PS5/SeriesX.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Many developers aren't pushing things now, but more will with the cross gen period ending.

It's interesting times with graphics tech.  PC's have the expected power gap over consoles on paper, like any other gen.  But in practice, the gap is larger than ever before.  A lot of that is due to console upscaling tech (FSR2) being not so good at scaling from low resolutions, and their RT capability being exceedingly basic.

My biggest concern going forward is that more games that 'push' the consoles could suffer from IQ issues.  And if you want to build a 'mid-gen refresh'-equivalent PC to avoid that at 4K, your GPU alone will cost more than a PS5/SeriesX.

It's also the very low amount of memory on the consoles.

You combine DLSS 3.0, RT and memory -- PCs are capable of so much more on a graphical basis.

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

It's interesting times with graphics tech.  PC's have the expected power gap over consoles on paper, like any other gen.  But in practice, the gap is larger than ever before.  A lot of that is due to console upscaling tech (FSR2) not being so good at scaling from low resolutions, and their RT capability being exceedingly basic.  Things could get ugly if console devs start using frame injection and AMD's solution isn't a magic bullet.

My biggest concern going forward is that more games that 'push' the consoles could suffer from IQ issues.  And if you want to build a mid-gen refresh-equivalent PC to avoid that at 4K, your GPU alone will cost more than a PS5/SeriesX.

While it's true that PCs have a huge power gap over consoles, I'd argue that in practice we've seen very little good use of that power. I think it's notable that the seeming consensus pick for best looking game is a console exclusive. I have a capable PC, but most of the best looking games I played last year are on the PS5 (Forbidden West, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, The Last of Us).

I'm hoping that once we get into the UE5 generation of games, even if they're largely cross platform, we'll finally be able to see PCs pushing that hardware advantage.

51 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You hated the gameplay of The Witcher 3 but liked the gameplay of RDR2?

tired give up GIF by Bounce

Yep. RDR2 had weight to the gunplay and physics. Don't even compare RDR2 to The Witcher 3 with me! :p

32 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s the benefit of knowing the types of games I like and being able to feel out how I’ll like a game from impressions and such! I like most of the games I’m playing because I only play games I like. Believe me there are plenty of games I don’t like, I just don’t play them!

I’m very rarely surprised with how a game is once I start playing it, usually difficulty being too high being the hardest thing for me to sniff out before playing something.

Yea, I know. You're extremely open to games though more so than the average bear. Yes, I acknowledged that you are a bear. 🐻 

• True 1

12 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

While it's true that PCs have a huge power gap over consoles, I'd argue that in practice we've seen very little good use of that power. I think it's notable that the seeming consensus pick for best looking game is a console exclusive. I have a capable PC, but most of the best looking games I played last year are on the PS5 (Forbidden West, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, The Last of Us).

I'm hoping that once we get into the UE5 generation of games, even if they're largely cross platform, we'll finally be able to see PCs pushing that hardware advantage.

On the other hand, it’s why we are rocking 4k/120 for most things now though!

21 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

You're spot on there.  But I also don't trust the rest of the industry to optimize for consoles as well as Sony 1st party does.  Definitely not in the long term when everyone will want to push harder (UE5 likely ushering in more of that).

Sony will still continue to release some of the best looking games as console exclusives when they first show up though even after third parties pick up steam into current gen only UE5 stuff.  That’s nothing new, and it’s kind of their thing. The time, money, talent, and cutting edge engine tech they put into their games always makes them stand out no matter how large the power gap is.

This was true back with Uncharted games on ps3, the original Horizon on ps4, and now Horizon FW on ps5, and I expect it will continue with further releases this gen. It’s just there is always a qualifier of taking in a lower frame rate and image quality than you are used to on pc in return. But unless you want to wait 2-3 years those games are still the reason to buy a ps5 as a pc gamer.

Naughty Dog is just ridiculous on all fronts imo.

Framerate is a huge deal and that's where I'm seeing this gen taking a turn for the worst once URE5 is being utilized. I wish I had money like I did when working overtime because I'd have a 4090 by now. I want power damn it. 

P.s. No more overtime is available at my place. :(

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Naughty Dog is just ridiculous on all fronts imo.

Framerate is a huge deal and that's where I'm seeing this gen taking a turn for the worst once URE5 is being utilized. I wish I had money like I did when working overtime because I'd have a 4090 by now. I want power damn it. 

P.s. No more overtime is available at my place. :(

Getting console gamers used to 60fps and then pulling the rug from them back to 30fps is going to be one of the most interesting things to watch this gen!

Fortnite 5.1 with lumen and nanite at 60fps on the consoles however is a good sign that it will never be as bad as previous gens on that front at least though. 

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Getting console gamers used to 60fps and then pulling the rug from them back to 30fps is going to be one of the most interesting things to watch this gen!

Fortnite 5.1 with lumen and nanite at 60fps on the consoles however is a good sign that it will never be as bad as previous gens on that front at least though. 

So true about going from 30 to 60 and then back to 30. 😆 

Should I try out Fortnite?

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

So true about going from 30 to 60 and then back to 30. 😆 

Should I try out Fortnite?

Absolutely, you just play with bots the first few matches so don’t worry about it being multiplayer. I tried it on my XSX to see how it looks on console and it’s still very impressive. I’d kill for some cartoony single player games/platformers that looked like that.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Very true but God does the framerate suck lol 

I want to hope for the expansion they will have some mode of the current gen version that locks 60 and that they fix stutter compilation on pc. Butttt who am I kidding they won’t improve a damn thing in regards to performance!

But man the art is striking and there is just so much variety throughout and it’s all so unique and mmm can’t wait for the expansion yeah.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, stepee said:

Absolutely, you just play with bots the first few matches so don’t worry about it being multiplayer. I tried it on my XSX to see how it looks on console and it’s still very impressive. I’d kill for some cartoony single player games/platformers that looked like that.

Man, I hope I downloaded the same game you're speaking about. It took 20 minutes to connect and then when I played I was extremely underwhelmed. It "popped" but it certainly didn't look good to me in the slightest. :thumbdown:

8 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Man, I hope I downloaded the same game you're speaking about. It took 20 minutes to connect and then when I played I was extremely underwhelmed. It "popped" but it certainly didn't look good to me in the slightest. :thumbdown:

Idk where you played it, but on XSX it defaulted to 120fps mode for me. That mode is on UE4 still, not UE5, so I’d try checking that.

Edit: I think actually it’s still technically UE5 in that mode but it’s not using any of the features, it’s just fortnite as it had always been but at 120fps

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Idk where you played it, but on XSX it defaulted to 120fps mode for me. That mode is on UE4 still, not UE5, so I’d try checking that.

Edit: I think actually it’s still technically UE5 in that mode but it’s not using any of the features, it’s just fortnite as it had always been but at 120fps

I played on the PS5. I was so annoyed by so much shit coming up on my screen I just ran around and litteraly deleted it off my console within minutes. :lol:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I played on the PS5. I was so annoyed by so much shit coming up on my screen I just ran around and litteraly deleted it off my console within minutes. :lol:

Tbf I warned you about the 120hz thing in another thread like a month ago!

• True 1

I loaded up Forbidden West this evening and it's not the best visuals on the PS5. I played Ragnarok immediately after and it looks cleaner, more detailed, and overall better. Then I advanced in Ratchet and Clank and I've come to the conclusion that has the best visuals yet on the PS5.

Best visuals for 2022 for me is Ragnarok. 

I think you might just not like how FW looks that’s fine. The vast majority of people would disagree even people on high end pcs, but different people care about different aspects so it can happen.

Rachet is definitely second place though on ps5, I played some to check it out on the oled and damn it’s still a looker. 

Demon Souls is probably up there but I might be like you with FW because I struggle to be impressed by that game though I kinda get it.

Taking out FW though, Plagues Tale would probably be my #1 after playing a little more. It absolutely looks like a true current gen game on pc with insane levels of detail and then dlss3 and dlssa giving you insane better than 4k quality at 100+fps. It’s something to behold. Calisto could have had it if it didn’t run like shit, that looks pretty much like a CG movie maxed out on pc.

Cyberpunk on pc is still the champion though, even over FW for me looking at it again, went back to that to see it on the oled and holy fuck it looks insane. And it’s about to look even better with the overdrive RT, can’t wait. 

Stray is also deserving of a nod. It’s pretty incredible looking at times, just excellent textures and modeling and really good baked lighting. Very talented small team there.

• Halal 1

18 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think you might just not like how FW looks that’s fine. The vast majority of people would disagree even people on high end pcs, but different people care about different aspects so it can happen.

Rachet is definitely second place though on ps5, I played some to check it out on the oled and damn it’s still a looker. 

Demon Souls is probably up there but I might be like you with FW because I struggle to be impressed by that game though I kinda get it.

Taking out FW though, Plagues Tale would probably be my #1 after playing a little more. It absolutely looks like a true current gen game on pc with insane levels of detail and then dlss3 and dlssa giving you insane better than 4k quality at 100+fps. It’s something to behold. Calisto could have had it if it didn’t run like shit, that looks pretty much like a CG movie maxed out on pc.

Cyberpunk on pc is still the champion though, even over FW for me looking at it again, went back to that to see it on the oled and holy fuck it looks insane. And it’s about to look even better with the overdrive RT, can’t wait. 

Stray is also deserving of a nod. It’s pretty incredible looking at times, just excellent textures and modeling and really good baked lighting. Very talented small team there.

I have A Plagues Tale Requiem downloaded on the PS5 since my XSX sucks ass. I can play it at 40fps but I couldn't imagine what you get to see. That's the beauty of the 4090 right there. Being able to absolutely destroy console limitations with playing the very best visuals and framerate.

I completely forgot about Stray. I need to try that because I love 🐈 🐱

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

I have A Plagues Tale Requiem downloaded on the PS5 since my XSX sucks ass. I can play it at 40fps but I couldn't imagine what you get to see. That's the beauty of the 4090 right there. Being able to absolutely destroy console limitations with playing the very best visuals and framerate.

I completely forgot about Stray. I need to try that because I love 🐈 🐱

The only problem with stray is that since you are the cat you can’t pet the cat :(

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

The only problem with stray is that since you are the cat you can’t pet the cat :(

It's just going to be cute controlling the cat. Although, I think I caught a small spoiler somewhere that

Spoiler

It ends tragically or really sad? I don't need that right now with my mental health and just losing Elton.

Just now, best3444 said:

It's just going to be cute controlling the cat. Although, I think I caught a small spoiler somewhere that

Reveal hidden contents

I think I’m like half way through only but yeah I heard that too. 

Though it’s almost bad enough that, this will be a gameplay spoiler depending on how far you are,

Enemy’s can kill you so your wittle kitty will end up dying several times no matter what during your journey unless you are really good at avoiding them!

• Thanks 1