What game/games did you never finish because of difficulty?

nublood

For me, Sekiro. Don’t know why but I just never successfully grasped the mechanics, namely the block/counter timing. And I’ve beat every Souls game ever made. 🤷‍♂️  I also completely gave up on Rogue Legacy even though I was enjoying it. And man, I reeaaally wanted to beat that game, if it was even possible. But alas, these are a couple games that got the best of me. 

Not sure if I gave it a fair shake, but I gave up on Darkest Dungeon. That game kicked my ass. 

I also got destroyed by Pillars of Eternity on normal mode. 

Getting good at Sekiro and making 90 percent of that game trivial because you just "get it" was one of the most satisfying experiences I've ever had playing games tho. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Not sure if I gave it a fair shake, but I gave up on Darkest Dungeon. That game kicked my ass. 

I also got destroyed by Pillars of Eternity on normal mode. 

Getting good at Sekiro and making 90 percent of that game trivial because you just "get it" was one of the most satisfying experiences I've ever had playing games tho. 

I’m hoping it’ll click for me one day too, if I ever return to it. Because it’s a great game at it’s core and one of the best of the From games. But with so many new games on the horizon, it may just sit in my library unfinished for eternity. lol

Hmm... I don't think I've ever not finished a game because I found it too hard, but I did give up on the Queen Valkyrie fight on the hardest difficulty in God of War because it's fucking busted with teleporting grabs and one-shot kills and shit that just makes it unbelievably frustrating. When you see your character teleport into a grab it's just rage-inducing.

But I have given up on many games for being too easy. Some games don't need difficulty, but many are too easy for their own good and become boring because you no longer have to pay attention to anything. I know some people like turn-off-your-brain gameplay, but if I want to turn off my brain I just won't game to begin with, I'll go stare at the sky or something. JRPGs are especially guilty of this; you can't have me go on a long adventure with tons of battles where the battles are me just mindlessly hitting one button, that's gonna bore the hell outta me!

I gave up on the US version of Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse because it was bullshit hard (couldn't get past the sunken ship stage). I recently went back to it, but with a patched Famicom version of the game instead. That ended up being a relatively playable experience, thankfully.

There aren’t a ton that I truly wanted to finish and just couldn’t.  Spelunky is one, although it honestly never clicked for me and I never got the joy of the loop.  Never beat Thumper, which I enjoyed but just became tedious with difficulty.  I never beat all of the bonus stages in Super Meat Boy.  I really loved Advance Wars for GBA but I could never beat the final boss and just gave up.  I’m sure there are countless NES games I gave up on as a kid though.  

12 hours ago, nublood said:

I also completely gave up on Rogue Legacy too. And man, I reeaaally wanted to beat that game, if it was even possible.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Rogue Legacy

I'm just gonna rub this one in :p

IrX30qu.jpg

No way I was going to do new game+ runs.  The persistent upgrades eventually can push you over the top for the main game though.

Enter the Gungeon I gave up on full stop.  I think that's a much more difficult game.  I've got no patience for it.. but still not as bad as 20XX.

• Shocked 1

Any Souls-like or Rogue-like. Including all the FromSoft games.

I always love the art direction and storytelling aspects, but I'm not a trial-and-error kinda guy, and my reaction times/reflexes just aren't what they used to be. If these games would've come out when I was in my teens, I would've been all over them, but I'm old and just don't have the energy for it. Elden Ring got the most time out of me because of the open world but I didn't even finish that.

Also... games that have "true endings." Fuck that noise, and fuck you Dragon Quest XI.

10 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Hmm... I don't think I've ever not finished a game because I found it too hard, but I did give up on the Queen Valkyrie fight on the hardest difficulty in God of War because it's fucking busted with teleporting grabs and one-shot kills and shit that just makes it unbelievably frustrating. When you see your character teleport into a grab it's just rage-inducing.

But I have given up on many games for being too easy. Some games don't need difficulty, but many are too easy for their own good and become boring because you no longer have to pay attention to anything. I know some people like turn-off-your-brain gameplay, but if I want to turn off my brain I just won't game to begin with, I'll go stare at the sky or something. JRPGs are especially guilty of this; you can't have me go on a long adventure with tons of battles where the battles are me just mindlessly hitting one button, that's gonna bore the hell outta me!

I did that as well. I literally tried for days to beat her on hard difficulty. Then I said screw it, I've got to get on with my life... and I beat her on easy. :monkey: That was a tough pill to swallow.

4 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Same.  Rygar and the Ninja Gaiden games come to mind for me.

Same. Never played Rygar but I definitely got my ass kicked by Ninja Gaiden

I also never finished Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on NES. I’m not sure if difficulty was really the factor, it was more about the fact that I kept getting lost. My little kid brain couldn’t figure it out, haha. 

I wonder if I should finally get around to completing it now, since I have the Cowabunga Collection.

19 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

I also never finished Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on NES. I’m not sure if difficulty was really the factor, it was more about the fact that I kept getting lost. My little kid brain couldn’t figure it out, haha.

TMNT-NES-Dam-Level-Michaelangelo-copy.jp
SCREENRANT.COM

TMNT's dam stage was too hard for its co-creator.

Nah, that one is legitimately ridiculous.

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 1

Difficulty can be a catalyst for me quitting but it is never the main reason. Hitting a challenging spot usually is the point where I start questioning whether I am having fun, do I care about the story/characters, and if I want to finish it. If the answer is no, I’ll move on. 

8 hours ago, nublood said:

I did that as well. I literally tried for days to beat her on hard difficulty. Then I said screw it, I've got to get on with my life... and I beat her on easy. :monkey: That was a tough pill to swallow.

Joseph Anderson's breakdown on why the fight is so bad at max difficulty with all that proof of the jank was cathartic as hell though!

Too many retro games to count because I lack the patience to learn patterns by repeating levels over and over. 

more recent? Not sure. I never really gave any of the Souls type games any serious effort because I knew the difficult style wasn’t for me. I also recall giving up on God of War Ascension because there was some long series of fights that I just couldn’t get through, so I gave up. It’s still the only game from that series I never beat. 

28 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Too many retro games to count because I lack the patience to learn patterns by repeating levels over and over. 

more recent? Not sure. I never really gave any of the Souls type games any serious effort because I knew the difficult style wasn’t for me. I also recall giving up on God of War Ascension because there was some long series of fights that I just couldn’t get through, so I gave up. It’s still the only game from that series I never beat. 

which one was that? I'm pretty sure I've beaten all the GOW games, I just can't remember one form the other :lol: (except for the last one) 

as for games I didn't beat because of difficulty...plenty, though the real question for me...how many games didn't you beat because another game came along and you got distracted...or as I call it the SQUIRREL! effect 

7 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

which one was that? I'm pretty sure I've beaten all the GOW games, I just can't remember one form the other :lol: (except for the last one) 

as for games I didn't beat because of difficulty...plenty, though the real question for me...how many games didn't you beat because another game came along and you got distracted...or as I call it the SQUIRREL! effect 

The last one on PS3, I think. I think it got overlooked a lot, just more of the same.