Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden release for modern platforms on January 19, 2023

Brian

1 hour ago, Brian said:

I would recommend trying Persona 5. It’s quite good 

I played it a bit when it first came out, but it didn’t hook me. I’m going to give it another shot when Golden hits Game Pass in a couple weeks. There was just something about 4 that hit me in a way no other Persona/SMT game has. 

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

P3 is supposed to be good, but the portable version has some 2d environments. 

This. Persona 3: FES on the PS2 is better than Persona 3 Portable on the PSP because the PS2 is more powerful than the PSP. But better that than the base PS2 game at least. Persona 4 Golden is already on PC, will Persona 3 Portable be on PC now too?

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

This. Persona 3: FES on the PS2 is better than Persona 3 Portable on the PSP because the PS2 is more powerful than the PSP. But better that than the base PS2 game at least. Persona 4 Golden is already on PC, will Persona 3 Portable be on PC now too?

Yes I believe so 

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

My brother said P3P is better in some ways, but since it suffers from the 2d stuff, it would have been better if they remastered it with P3P content mixed in with p3FES. I think portable allows you to play a female protagonist which is interesting. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

My brother said P3P is better in some ways, but since it suffers from the 2d stuff, it would have been better if they remastered it with P3P content mixed in with p3FES. I think portable allows you to play a female protagonist which is interesting. 

I would have preferred this route too but I never thought they'd take the time for that. It's a bit of a wash, but I've always preferred FES to Portable. 

• Halal 1

Hey now, maybe Atlus won't do a shitty port like with their awful PC version of Shin Megami Tensei 3 and this'll be the first mix of FES and P3P! You never know, it could tot---ahhahahahahahha yeah fuckin' right. This piece of shit's gonna run at 15 FPS and native PSP resolution. (I am convinced P4G only got the treatment it did because it's their golden goose, so to speak.)

Anybody know if p3p & p4g will get physical print on switch? I've already played through these games on psp/vita but would not mind grabbing a physical copy (Still hate myself for only buying p3p digitally).

IMO, P3P fem additions and team control were great but the complete replacement of the social/outside dungeon portions with a VN/2D was a huge disappointment.

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

Anybody know if p3p & p4g will get physical print on switch? I've already played through these games on psp/vita but would not mind grabbing a physical copy (Still hate myself for only buying p3p digitally).

IMO, P3P fem additions and team control were great but the complete replacement of the social/outside dungeon portions with a VN/2D was a huge disappointment.

for now I'm pretty sure they are digital only 

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2022 at 2:21 AM, gamer.tv said:

For those in the know, how does P4 compare to 5? I really enjoyed 5, on the whole, so is 4 similar…or its own thing? 

It depends - similar in gameplay, or story/characters/etc.? Persona 4 functions very similar to Persona 5 in many ways, but the stories are completely different and not connected nor does P4 have the sense of graphical style that P5 has. However, it's still a compelling game with a good story (Persona fans argue which story is best - P3, P4, or P5). 

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

It depends - similar in gameplay, or story/characters/etc.? Persona 4 functions very similar to Persona 5 in many ways, but the stories are completely different and not connected nor does P4 have the sense of graphical style that P5 has. However, it's still a compelling game with a good story (Persona fans argue which story is best - P3, P4, or P5). 

More a gameplay point of view. I liked the approach that P5 had to ‘dungeons’ and character profession. 

4 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

More a gameplay point of view. I liked the approach that P5 had to ‘dungeons’ and character profession. 

P4 doesn't do it in the same way, but it is split between dungeon segments and dating sim segments much like P5 is (but the story and framing device for everything is very different than P5, but it is still about an intrepid group of Japanese teenagers solving and doing stuff).

5 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Man, I've been sitting on my copy of Persona 4 GOLDEN on my Vita for years. Same goes for the original PS2 version. Never even fired them up, IIRC. Maybe I'll buy this game one more time and also not play it. :p 

I think I got Persona 3 FES at Fry's on sale way back in the day (Never played it) and I got Persona 5 on sale on PS4 and also did not play it. For the trifecta when Persona 4 came to steam I got it but did not play it. :cool:

• Halal 1

12 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think I got Persona 3 FES at Fry's on sale way back in the day (Never played it) and I got Persona 5 on sale on PS4 and also did not play it. For the trifecta when Persona 4 came to steam I got it but did not play it. :cool:

Wow, Fry's...that's a name I've not heard in a long time. Are they still around? 

I have a bad habit of buying Persona games and not playing them. I have Persona 5 on PS3, PS4, and PS5 somehow. Gonna have it soon on Switch as well. What's wrong with me?!? LOL

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m so conflicted on getting this on steam or playing it on gamepass. 

I didn't even realize this was on gamepass. I just watched Biggies review link and it sounds fantastic. I like the visuals and I actually don't mind turned based combat. After the dust settles for me with all these games I have to play, I'm trying this out. 

• Halal 1