Marvel Studios' Secret Invasion

Brick

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's going to be strange picking up a plotline that was primarily started in Captain Marvel, which took place in 1995 so long as you ignore the little bits regarding what happened in Monica Rambeau recently in WandaVision and the strange revelation that Nick Fury and Maria Hill are choosing to be in space on vacation and such while Skrulls impersonate them on Earth (end of Spider-Man: Far From Home). 30 years later and that's all we've been given since Captain Marvel. Hoping this is good, I'll be watching. The Kree have already been established as bad guys for the most part, it'll be interesting how the show adapts the Secret Invasion comic book arc given where the Skrulls currently are at in the MCU. 

b2daa1cead7a7af28430dcc625c82d9e.png
KOTAKU.COM

Disney wheeling this out in the middle of a writer's strike sure is a look

Haven't seen the series, and haven't decided if I'm even going to, but I caught a glimpse of this, and from what I've seen the show is using some really awful AI for the opening credits. No idea wtf they were thinking here.

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

They didn't release two episodes back to back? Weird. Anywho, what's the haps w/ spoilers going forward? Openly discuss or hide them?

If someone enters this thread after a new ep is out and hasn’t watched the new ep, I’d say that’s on them.

• Sicko 1
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, Reputator said:
b2daa1cead7a7af28430dcc625c82d9e.png
KOTAKU.COM

Disney wheeling this out in the middle of a writer's strike sure is a look

Haven't seen the series, and haven't decided if I'm even going to, but I caught a glimpse of this, and from what I've seen the show is using some really awful AI for the opening credits. No idea wtf they were thinking here.

Ugly af

The intro was indeed ugly.

The episode itself was fine. I don’t know that the Skrulls have enough juice in the MCU to make this interesting more broadly. Though I will say that if you have Captain Marvel looking for a new home for you, it should probably take less than 30 years. :p

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

MCU TV show average at best? Who could have seen that coming?

I get why they didn't release 2 episodes if there are only going to be 6, but I feel like you have to be really into Sam Jackson and/or the Skrulls specifically from Captain Marvel for this episode to hit. Some odd choices for the premier, and not interesting in the way that something like the WandaVision premier was.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I thought it was.. good? Super hero spy thriller with aliens? Why not?

I'm not nearly as down on this as some others are and mostly just don't have a sense yet of whether this will be good or not based on the first episode. But I do stand by what I said above about the death at the end of the episode feeling cheap.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

The death at the end of the episode just felt like a cheap "kill someone to show there's real stakes" maneuver. 

It’s one thing to establish that Fury is rusty, I get that. But it seems a bit wild that these people are dealing with shapeshifters and apparently have no ID verification protocol. 

15 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

It’s one thing to establish that Fury is rusty, I get that. But it seems a bit wild that these people are dealing with shapeshifters and apparently have no ID verification protocol. 

Especially after almost 30 years.

• Halal 1

52 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

But it seems a bit wild that these people are dealing with shapeshifters and apparently have no ID verification protocol. 

36 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Especially after almost 30 years

Not yet...

Spoiler

In the comics, they did (invented by Reed Richards of course) but the Skrulls came up with a way to beat his method....until he invented a better one. My guess is Rhodey is gonna end up being a Skrull.

18 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Not yet...

Hide contents

In the comics, they did (invented by Reed Richards of course) but the Skrulls came up with a way to beat his method....until he invented a better one. My guess is Rhodey is gonna end up being a Skrull.

Spoiler

That seems pretty likely. I don't know how many "high profile" characters they could have be a Skrull and I dunno that he has a great reason to be around and near the president other than that.

• True 1

4 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I liked both Ms Marvel and She Hulk. 

I couldn't finish the first episode of Secret Invasion, so boring. 

Makes sense since both of those shows are entirely different in tone than this one. Coming of age and work place comedies with super heroes vs espionage thriller with aliens :shrug: