Marvel Studios' Secret Invasion

Brick

There’s also the notion that Gravik impersonated Fury and was completely unprepared for the possibility that someone else might also do so. On an ostensible espionage show were anyone could be anyone else, nobody did any work to verify anyone’s identity ever, with the one exception of nobody calling Fury “Nick.”

After reading this interview, the fact that the show doesn’t make a ton of sense starts to make sense.

LOV1920_106_comp_TIP_v0050_00088830-e169
VARIETY.COM

'Secret Invasion' director Ali Selim breaks down the finale, reacts to the Marvel series' mixed reviews and discusses a potential Season 2.

Wild.

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

What specifically about the interview gives you that reaction? 

Most of it? I don’t know that what he thought was the theme of the show or the final scene specifically really came through the way he said. And there’s a lot of, “I dunno this is just what I got handed,” or, “Kevin Feige just did that.” Maybe all these shows are like that and this is just more candid?

I gotta say that I don't really love the whole whole concept of the super Skrulls being able to just duplicate anyone's powers with a sample of DNA. I have to admit I didn't always pay perfect attention during the show, so I'm guessing there was a line about only Skrulls being able to use the machine, but even then you now have this thing where any of them can now get powers from beings that were exposed to all sorts of crazy stuff, from infinity stones to the "molecular disequilibrium" from Ghost. Sure, the Winter Solider, Captain America, Drax, Groot, and even Extremis were all either genetically gifted or altered, but it seems odd you could get infinity stone powers without an infinity stone, or that she'd just know how to use magic because she had some DNA from Thanos's wizard henchman. Even assuming that G’iah only got a fraction of each of the powers she was given, she's a real wildcard to have running around the MCU. I suppose they can always just say the effect wore off or will eventually kill her or whatever.

Even if you just buy into the mechanics of it and don't worry much about any MCU consequences of either the tech existing or G’iah's own powers, it only amplifies the storytelling issues that this show had from the start. Fury taking wild swings and giving both G'iah and Gravik all those powers without calling in any help at all is pretty nuts. In cinematic terms, the pay off was all of three minutes of crazy CGI fighting.

I totally agree that this would have been a fine place for episode 3 to end, but having Fury just return to space after the existence of Skrulls is revealed and everything else is just odd. It feels like they hardly tied anything up and it's hard to believe that it'll have the kind of lasting ramifications that it should.

Overall it was just a messy series that didn't really live up to it's potential.

• Halal 1

18 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I gotta say that I don't really love the whole whole concept of the super Skrulls being able to just duplicate anyone's powers with a sample of DNA. I have to admit I didn't always pay perfect attention during the show, so I'm guessing there was a line about only Skrulls being able to use the machine, but even then you now have this thing where any of them can now get powers from beings that were exposed to all sorts of crazy stuff, from infinity stones to the "molecular disequilibrium" from Ghost. Sure, the Winter Solider, Captain America, Drax, Groot, and even Extremis were all either genetically gifted or altered, but it seems odd you could get infinity stone powers without an infinity stone, or that she'd just know how to use magic because she had some DNA from Thanos's wizard henchman. Even assuming that G’iah only got a fraction of each of the powers she was given, she's a real wildcard to have running around the MCU. I suppose they can always just say the effect wore off or will eventually kill her or whatever.

Even if you just buy into the mechanics of it and don't worry much about any MCU consequences of either the tech existing or G’iah's own powers, it only amplifies the storytelling issues that this show had from the start. Fury taking wild swings and giving both G'iah and Gravik all those powers without calling in any help at all is pretty nuts. In cinematic terms, the pay off was all of three minutes of crazy CGI fighting.

I totally agree that this would have been a fine place for episode 3 to end, but having Fury just return to space after the existence of Skrulls is revealed and everything else is just odd. It feels like they hardly tied anything up and it's hard to believe that it'll have the kind of lasting ramifications that it should.

Overall it was just a messy series that didn't really live up to it's potential.

I think the implication is that Skrulls are immune to radiation and the power gizmo relies on a lot of it to work. Gravik was expecting to BBQ fury, not bless G’iah with all those powers.

Still, that entire scene is fucking dumb. Even if we assume Fury trusts G’Iah as much as he trusted Talos (big fucking assumption given their shared screentime), having any one person get all those powers is a terrible idea even if you trust them! It’s not like Fury’s unfamiliar with the notion that someone in the MCU might get mind controlled. And it also assumes that the plan was going to work flawlessly? Gravik is a dude that killed TWO of Fury’s closest and most trusted partners when they had help present, G’iah solo’ing Gravik after they both get Super Skrull powers is a horrible plan.

There’s a compelling version of this show / idea and the acting was way better than the material by and large. That’s just not what we got.

• Like 1
  • True 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Finally watched it. It was fine. Not sure why all the terrible reviews, but yeah there were certainly a lot of issues with the show. I think my expectations for MCU stuff now is just lower. I also think the MCU is just too large now to keep track of a lot of things for the writers to be aware of everything.