Marvel Studios' Secret Invasion

Brick

On 7/14/2023 at 5:35 AM, Fizzzzle said:

Anyone else find this show to be mixed incredibly low?

Normally I have the volume on my computer set to like 35 or so for most things, maybe up to 40 for video games. Sometimes up to 50 for movies. For this series, I have to set it to like 70.

I find just about everything anymore is insanely quiet having to crank the volume, until the music starts then its up to 11, I don't know what the sound guys are smoking when they're doing this stuff, but these are streaming shows people are watching in their unoptimized for sound homes with cheap equipment not theaters with state of the art sound systems.  None of this would be an issue if the music didn't just explode your eardrums when it starts up with your volume cranked to hear people talking.

• True 1

39 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I find just about everything anymore is insanely quiet having to crank the volume, until the music starts then its up to 11, I don't know what the sound guys are smoking when they're doing this stuff, but these are streaming shows people are watching in their unoptimized for sound homes with cheap equipment not theaters with state of the art sound systems.  None of this would be an issue if the music didn't just explode your eardrums when it starts up with your volume cranked to hear people talking.

Well yeah, I'm used to that. I have my volume set much higher when I'm playing movies vs. whatever else. It's just for Secret Invasion that I have my volume set at nearly twice what it normally is. And the action parts still aren't even that loud. It's like the whole thing is mixed really low.

8 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

The bursts of loudness (which usually was just the bass) were so annoying I settled the issue by lowering the volume and turning on subtitles.

I feel like the weakness of this show is similar to Loki, though it’s more exaggerated here. There’s so much tell and not nearly enough show. We have one great scene with Fury and his wife, but the rest of their relationship is explained in anecdotes delivered to other people. Talos and G’iah barely interacted.

And I don’t mean this to come off like a lament about plot holes, but… what exactly is Fury’s ostensible reach and pull? He wants to work alone or with just Talos, then when he’s saving POTUS from an attack he’s got a whole bunch of dudes with him. Then this plan to protect POTUS in the hospital is to literally sit alone in a hallway with a gun by himself with absolutely no plan to deal with Rhodey? “Nobody can protect the planet like I can,” or whatever he says is just such obvious nonsense given who Fury almost certainly has on speed dial.

We’re also at Iron Man 3 levels of just ignoring shit that Fury went through in this. So after he rightfully got shit for making Hydra weapons for Shield in Avengers then took another fucking L in Winter Soldier, acknowledging that he / Shield shouldn’t have the power to unilaterally and preemptively kill everyone with WMD Helicarriers he just… had Skrulls scrape the ruins of the Avengers compound for DNA?

It’s just so sloppy.

25 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

It’s weird. Only the first three episodes, and only until August 17th.

They did something similar with the first couple episodes of Andor, but that also went to cable. 

ms-marvel-kamala-khan-iman-vellani-1014x
WWW.TVINSIDER.COM

Get ready to see Kamala Khan on network television, thanks to ABC’s ‘The Wonderful...

I always think about these plot holes on a scale of Batman Vs Superman to The Dark Knight. TDK isn't a film where everything holds up super well when it's under a microscope and you're examining the machinations actually going on, but it's such a propulsive film that it never really matters. It flows so fast and fluidly that the audience doesn't have time to question if all these schemes really make sense, because it feels like it does as you're watching it and that matters so much more. My experience with BvS was the opposite. It was so clunky that every new idea would throw up more red flags in my mind and it became impossible to meet on its own terms.

That's all to say that I care less about the existence of plot holes than I do the show failing to make me not care about them. Maybe if this whole 6 episode series had been a 2 hour movie it could keep a pace that would smooth over the plot holes, but as it stands it's moving too slow and raises too many questions for its own good.

• Halal 1

22 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

How do you figure? This whole show is basically two two and a half hour movies. There's not much left to resolve to be honest

Maybe I'm being thrown by how all over the place this has been like @Kal-El814 was talking about but based on past Marvel content and what the pacing of this show has been like so far it feels like they're going to try to cram way too much into this finale.

17 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

And I don’t mean this to come off like a lament about plot holes, but… what exactly is Fury’s ostensible reach and pull? He wants to work alone or with just Talos, then when he’s saving POTUS from an attack he’s got a whole bunch of dudes with him. Then this plan to protect POTUS in the hospital is to literally sit alone in a hallway with a gun by himself with absolutely no plan to deal with Rhodey? “Nobody can protect the planet like I can,” or whatever he says is just such obvious nonsense given who Fury almost certainly has on speed dial.

Fury and Talos were alone. He didn't bring anyone himself. The soldiers protecting the president from Gravik were part of the envoy transporting the president.

The soldiers did seem to know who Fury was though.

• True 1

4 hours ago, jinx8402 said:

Fury and Talos were alone. He didn't bring anyone himself. The soldiers protecting the president from Gravik were part of the envoy transporting the president.

The soldiers did seem to know who Fury was though.

Yes, this is the thing. Him insisting that he has to go it alone is a hollow gimmick, clearly untrue, and counter to literally everything his character has been about the entire time he’s been in the MCU, working with Shield and assembling the Avengers. 

I’m completely on board with a contrived reason for any character to not call any of their god tier friends whenever there’s a kerfuffle in a solo movie or show. But it should really be something other than, “I don’t wanna,” when the alleged stakes are the eradication of humanity / start of WWIII / global nuclear holocaust. 

9 minutes ago, johnny said:

“hey thor new asgard is fucked if you don’t help hurry please!!” 

situation will be resolved in 1 hour 

I mean say what you will about Love and Thunder but even Thor is smart enough to ask for help and my guy is pure himbo at this point. 

Well, these last two episodes (including the series finale) were pretty . . . bad. And underwhelming. And nonsensical. Like a lot of these Marvel shows, the first few episodes start pretty promising but then everything escalates so fast it all becomes pretty stupid. It all felt mostly silly. Now New Asgard is screwed? G'iah might be the most powerful character in the MCU? Etc. 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well, these last two episodes (including the series finale) were pretty . . . bad. And underwhelming. And nonsensical. Like a lot of these Marvel shows, the first few episodes start pretty promising but then everything escalates so fast it all becomes pretty stupid. It all felt mostly silly. Now New Asgard is screwed? G'iah might be the most powerful character in the MCU? Etc. 

New Asgard was screwed when they started the Infinity Conez franchise. Imagine a German pet store named Goebbels’ Gerbils? Come on now.

• Haha 1

i think emilia clarke’s powers might not be as strong as the original dna but she has a huge variety. cuz she has thanos dna so if she was really as powerful as thanos and a few others…. that’d be a pretty big problem. 

overall i thought the show was underwhelming. 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, the villain has a whole final speech/scene with Fury who then turns out to be Gaia and Fury and Gravik never meet again. All just felt like a waste. POTUS holding a gun waving it around from Fury to Rhodey like a child hostage who doesn't know what to do lulz.

The finale feels like it should have been how the third episode ended. There are still millions of Skrulls on earth and POTUS just inspired a bunch of hate crimes is... well it's a way to end the show, I guess.

• True 1

I guess ended on a soft fart is close enough to thinking this would be rushed. :p Unsatisfying either way. Knew it was a bad sign when I saw the episode was only 38 minutes, which is like 30 minutes of actual content.

BTW, shouldn't all the people the Skrulls were holding in Russia be long-dead from radiation poisoning?

7 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The finale feels like it should have been how the third episode ended. There are still millions of Skrulls on earth and POTUS just inspired a bunch of hate crimes is... well it's a way to end the show, I guess.

Yeah, reigning in that kind of chaos sounds far more interesting than this false flag thing we got. Also, reigning in that kind of chaos is exactly the kind of on the ground, human-level drama that would call for non-supers. Once you're dealing with a single super powered alien that's looking to start WW3, anything not super powered makes no sense...and the series knew this and still went down that road.

3 minutes ago, johnny said:

another show that is just setting up something else 

Looking at Marvel's upcoming slate of MCU stuff, I'm assuming Captain America: Brave New World? Thunderbolts? Armor Wars maybe. Can't really see it tying in anywhere else.

We've still got an Celestial coming out of the Indian Ocean to address. :p 

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Looking at Marvel's upcoming slate of MCU stuff, I'm assuming Captain America: Brave New World? Thunderbolts? Armor Wars maybe. Can't really see it tying in anywhere else.

We've still got a Celestial coming out of the Indian Ocean to address. :p 

i think there’s way too much shit going on lmao. previously you knew thanos was the endgame. now you have kang but you also have secret wars and there’s avengers, young avengers, there’s the nyc group with daredevil i guess? x-men are coming at some point. when tf are we gonna see shang chi again? does he have another movie coming out before the next avengers? what the hell are the eternals doing? idk man. the mcu stuff is easy viewing but it’s definitely taken a noticeable step back. i mean they made antman not fun anymore. where was the ant that plays drums? 

• True 1

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

We've still got an Celestial coming out of the Indian Ocean to address. :p 

At least it's a dead Celestial, so there's no real need to address it.

If this is a set up series, then it's setting up Thunderbolts or Captain America. I'm not sure any others would really make sense.

• True 1

20 hours ago, johnny said:

another show that is just setting up something else 

Kinda, but this one is just moreso.

At the start of the show Fury's in space, Skrulls are on earth looking for a home while trying to bend in. Fury broke up with his wife something like twice. But at the end, Fury's in space, Skrulls are on earth looking for a home while trying to blend in, and Fury's wife is with him. It's not like "nothing happened" or anything, some C characters like Hill and Talon died. But what it set up isn't exactly clear which is usually not the case for how these shows have ended.

This show really feels like it ended just as it was getting interesting.

14 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Kinda, but this one is just moreso.

At the start of the show Fury's in space, Skrulls are on earth looking for a home while trying to bend in. Fury broke up with his wife something like twice. But at the end, Fury's in space, Skrulls are on earth looking for a home while trying to blend in, and Fury's wife is with him. It's not like "nothing happened" or anything, some C characters like Hill and Talon died. But what it set up isn't exactly clear which is usually not the case for how these shows have ended.

This show really feels like it ended just as it was getting interesting.

isn’t this just continuing secret invasion stuff lol

This show should have been titled Pointless Exposition.  The only growth that happened was between Fury and Varra, and they padded that dynamic by having them repeat the same conversation five different times. Fury's personal journey was unsatisfactorily explored, particularly his "blip" PTSD, because whatever bullshit this show made Fury say goes against a decade of MCU counterpoints, and even contradicts what this series showed us (still on S.W.O.R.D., protecting Earth and helping Skrulls). Fury/Gravik, Fury/Talos, Fury/Rhodes, Talos/G'iah were superficial, wish-washy, unctuous relationships.

The entire espionage aspect was also badly (also, barely) executed. Gravik's plan made no sense. It's so hard to be invested in the central conflict (Skrulls have no home) when this series comes after GotG v3, showing us the technology exists to make and re-make an Earth-like planet, not to mention all of the other world-altering abilities shown from Eternals, Dr. Strange, Ego, Kang, etc. The intro was created with AI tools, I wonder if AI also wrote the plot. What comes next? Fury asks Dr. Strange to make everyone forget about Skrulls existing on Earth?

Samuel L. Jackson and co. deserve better, because they at least nailed the performances and the charisma was the only good thing about this show.