Marvel Studios' Secret Invasion

Brick

Rewatched Captain Marvel then went right into the first episode of this - it was pretty good! Nothing ground breaking but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it play out. Nice to see Fury actually involved again since he hasn't really been in ages. It's pretty clear the Skrulls vs. Kree and Kang/multiverse stuff are going to be the two big plotlines playing out in this next phase. Surprised people are down on this after just one episode when it was pretty well made. Not sure what people thought was confusing about the premiere? Captain Marvel really is integral to some degree to remember what the Skrulls' situation has been the past 30 years (technically 28 years, not sure why everyone keeps saying 30 years). When Fury puts his forehead to Talos' in the episode, which is the Skrulls' way of showing closeness (as shown repeatedly at the end of Captain Marvel), it carried at least some weight, which is something for recent MCU stuff. :p 

As for: 

Spoiler

Maria Hill dying, that kind of sucks since they haven't really utilized her well or the way it was initially intended since she was introduced. This show would have been a good opportunity to flesh her out more, but at the same time it is effective in kicking things off and making things especially personal for Fury. Definitely some fridging the female character going on if so, but there it is.

Just watched the second episode that dropped today. I think people who found the first episode a bit confusing will like the very straightforward nature of this one by comparison, with a recap and everything. Anyway, the episode was pretty good! Definitely darker in tone for current Marvel/Disney than I expected (even taking into account Loki and Moon Knight) given the pretty hard PG-13 violence on display in this episode, and it was appreciated in making this feel like more of a Bourne spy movie than just another generic MCU house style offering.

Obviously Marvel/Disney won't let creators make Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy but they are trying pretty hard to at least go in that direction and be at least Jason Bourne level. It helps to have great actors like Don Cheadle, Samuel L. Jackson, and Olivia Colman in the cast. Rhodey and Fury have  a great scene in this episode. Not sure if we should be hiding spoilers, I usually don't on week to week shows, but I'll do so this time. Also:

Spoiler

A Rosa Dalton, part of a married couple working together heading Gravik's science department, has DNA samples of Groot, Frost Beast, Cull Obsidian (one of Thanos' "Black Order/Children of Thanos" four underlings in Avengers: Infinity War) and "Extremis" (Guy Pearce's tech from Iron Man 3) so that's interesting based on what Emilia Clarke's character looks up on one of the computers in their base. I wonder whose else's DNA this Skrull extremist group has since one of the Skrulls under interrogation says they are building a machine that he thinks is to "make them stronger". It's strange Julia Louis-Dreyfus' character Contessa isn't involved (yet) in this show given she's pretty close to the more grounded government/spy stuff. I assumed Olivia Colman's character Sonya worked for MI-6 but maybe she works for the Contessa given the phone convo with the Russian interrogator. Also WTF Talos you let a million Skrulls on to Earth? I think that breaches the trust for sure. I get he was in a tight spot but c'mon.

• Halal 1

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Just watched the second episode that dropped today. I think people who found the first episode a bit confusing will like the very straightforward nature of this one by comparison, with a recap and everything. Anyway, the episode was pretty good! Definitely darker in tone for current Marvel/Disney than I expected (even taking into account Loki and Moon Knight) given the pretty hard PG-13 violence on display in this episode, and it was appreciated in making this feel like more of a Bourne spy movie than just another generic MCU house style offering.

Obviously Marvel/Disney won't let creators make Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy but they are trying pretty hard to at least go in that direction and be at least Jason Bourne level. It helps to have great actors like Don Cheadle, Samuel L. Jackson, and Olivia Colman in the cast. Rhodey and Fury have  a great scene in this episode. Not sure if we should be hiding spoilers, I usually don't on week to week shows, but I'll do so this time. Also:

Reveal hidden contents

Agreed with everything you posted especially about the scene between Rhodey and Fury... the brothers kept it REAL :p This episode was much better than the first and I really liked the first. Digging the whole vibe of this show and I was alittle shocked by the violence as well for a Disney+ series. Gonna be real interesting to see how crazy they go with this. Also Fury going full Captain Kirk in this :p

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

shocked by the violence as well for a Disney+ series

Spoiler

The torture scene is particular jumped out at me as being surprisingly graphic for both a Disney+ show and an MCU show.

Definitely much better of an episode. It makes me think more that they should have just released them at the same time, like they've done for some of their other series.

I can also understand why they didn't, since they've gone, what 8-9 months since their last Marvel show? They were originally planning on not going that long (I want to say the original release date of Secret Invasion was supposed to be LAST summer, same with What If season 2. And that was after Ms. Marvel was delayed by over a year)

For a guy whose jihad depends on the humans not knowing there are millions of shapeshifting aliens living on Earth and most humans not realizing there are any shapeshifting aliens living on Earth, Gravik sure is casual about leaving dead alien bodies lying around.

5 hours ago, Jason said:

For a guy whose jihad depends on the humans not knowing there are millions of shapeshifting aliens living on Earth and most humans not realizing there are any shapeshifting aliens living on Earth, Gravik sure is casual about leaving dead alien bodies lying around.

True. 

Also I know I’m is usually the guy that wants shows and movies to be a reasonable length, but being halfway through this a lot of it feels undercooked. 

Is anyone other than a diehard fan doing to connect the dots between Iron Man 3, seeing Extremis on screen for a second last week, and Gravik healing in this episode?

28 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

True. 

Also I know I’m is usually the guy that wants shows and movies to be a reasonable length, but being halfway through this a lot of it feels undercooked. 

Is anyone other than a diehard fan doing to connect the dots between Iron Man 3, seeing Extremis on screen for a second last week, and Gravik healing in this episode?

that was explained and sort of hinted at in the last episode.

Spoiler

They even showed Groot DNA that was stored for the machine, and you see him use the powers in the trailer. Super Skrull’s was mentioned and remember from the 90’s Fantastic Four cartoon that there was one Skrull who inhabits a ton of powers of our heroes/villains. With Skrull’s being everywhere and anywhere on earth, seemed easy to get Extremis DNA to use. 

I liked last nights episode. It was shorted then the previous 2, but I was liking the ramped up tension. It sort of have that Winter Soldier movie feeling in that Hydra/Skrull’s could be anyone and everyone. So who can you or do you trust in anyone. 

• Halal 1

Spoilers for Episode 3 btw

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I felt like this was kinda a deep cut for them to bring back, but I also don't think it matters a whole lot. Viewers that don't remember or never saw IM3 still get the point that he now has super powers. I do wonder if they're going to rehash the "side effects" of Extremis or if they're going to just say "well, Skrull physiology is different so it's not a problem."

• Halal 1

18 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I felt like this was kinda a deep cut for them to bring back, but I also don't think it matters a whole lot. Viewers that don't remember or never saw IM3 still get the point that he now has super powers. I do wonder if they're going to rehash the "side effects" of Extremis or if they're going to just say "well, Skrull physiology is different so it's not a problem."

Stark had stabilized Extremis by the end of the movie to cure Pepper. He didn’t get it right the first time because he was mostly hungover from the New Years celebration 

19 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Stark had stabilized Extremis by the end of the movie to cure Pepper. He didn’t get it right the first time because he was mostly hungover from the New Years celebration 

True, but they just have a DNA sample from who knows where or when, so I feel like it's far from certain that they have Stark's stable version rather than the more problematic one. So I feel like they could go either way.

59 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Yeah, fair. It’s not so much that it’s a deep cut and difficult to follow, I just think the time would be better spent establishing any of the other characters or threads. Introducing a plot to start WWIII and then resolving it (for the time being, granted) within the span of 20 minutes is a lot.

20 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah, fair. It’s not so much that it’s a deep cut and difficult to follow, I just think the time would be better spent establishing any of the other characters or threads. Introducing a plot to start WWIII and then resolving it (for the time being, granted) within the span of 20 minutes is a lot.

Yeah, this episode felt overstuffed and the "secret" invasion stuff is getting harder to buy. But it's nice that the spy side of the MCU is at least being maintained and the show is mature enough and different enough from the other Marvel shows to at least stake a corner of the MCU (closest counterpart would be The Falcon and the Winter Soldier show).

30 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, this episode felt overstuffed and the "secret" invasion stuff is getting harder to buy. But it's nice that the spy side of the MCU is at least being maintained and the show is mature enough and different enough from the other Marvel shows to at least stake a corner of the MCU (closest counterpart would be The Falcon and the Winter Soldier show).

It’s this and I don’t know that Gavik’s supposed endgame even makes sense? Millions of Skrulls are either onboard or indifferent to the complete eradication of the human race? Yes 30 years is a long time to be homeless and I don’t doubt that there’s legitimate frustration. But that’s the best plan, to pull a double Thanos? “Skrulls are immune to radiation,” great that’s convenient but they want their new homeland to be a radioactive mass grave?

• True 1

20 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

It’s this and I don’t know that Gavik’s supposed endgame even makes sense? Millions of Skrulls are either onboard or indifferent to the complete eradication of the human race? Yes 30 years is a long time to be homeless and I don’t doubt that there’s legitimate frustration. But that’s the best plan, to pull a double Thanos? “Skrulls are immune to radiation,” great that’s convenient but they want their new homeland to be a radioactive mass grave?

That's true - I think only true desperation explains it. It's been thirty years since they've been homeless on Earth, but the destruction of their homeworld by the Kree was before that (perhaps a couple decades before even). Entire generations living on the run, seeing how bad humans are (at least Gravik's take), eradicating them doesn't perhaps seem to bad since humans are doing it to themselves anyway. And maybe they think they can re-seed the planet after it becomes a radioactive mess? The show hasn't been clear (probably intentionally so) on the "powers" or differences between Skrulls and humans. They're clearly much stronger and apparently immune to radiation. But to fight the superheroes they need to become Super Skrulls. So I imagine an irradiated planet wouldn't be fun to live in? But again, at least then they have something? 

12 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I wasn't a big fan of how quickly Gravik took over the Skrull secret council or whatever that was. When you introduce a genocidal maniac, I don't necessarily care too much if their plan doesn't 100% scan, but having everyone quickly agree with his plan didn't feel right. He shows up uninvited, to a meeting where the only stated agenda was to punish him for disobedience, announces a crazy plan with no details where he hand-waves away dealing with the Avengers, and is immediately elected supreme leader. That didn't feel great to me.

10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

That's true - I think only true desperation explains it. It's been thirty years since they've been homeless on Earth, but the destruction of their homeworld by the Kree was before that (perhaps a couple decades before even). Entire generations living on the run, seeing how bad humans are (at least Gravik's take), eradicating them doesn't perhaps seem to bad since humans are doing it to themselves anyway. And maybe they think they can re-seed the planet after it becomes a radioactive mess? The show hasn't been clear (probably intentionally so) on the "powers" or differences between Skrulls and humans. They're clearly much stronger and apparently immune to radiation. But to fight the superheroes they need to become Super Skrulls. So I imagine an irradiated planet wouldn't be fun to live in? But again, at least then they have something? 

I agree that it feels like an option of last resort, but my problem is that it really didn't seem like they were that desperate. Again, I don't really think it's really worth dissecting the crazy guy's plan, but it might be worth considering the conditions of their lives before they start a nuclear holocaust on a planet with a million of their people on it. Yeah, Fury hasn't delivered a new home, but their lives on Earth don't seem too bad.

Besides, this is now an Earth that is very different from when they first landed. It's now an Earth that knows about extraterrestrial life. It's an Earth that has another small, but thriving alien colony on it. It's also an Earth that defeated Thanos and his army. An Earth that has seems to have the capability to ward off the Kree. They haven't really even introduced themselves and they're jumping straight to genocide because one professional liar lied 30 years ago?

It's probably a good thing when the guy who wants to kill billions comes off as a bit crazy and the audience doesn't think it's a great idea, but I do wish we got a bit more pushback from other Skrulls.

• True 1

8 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I wasn't a big fan of how quickly Gravik took over the Skrull secret council or whatever that was. When you introduce a genocidal maniac, I don't necessarily care too much if their plan doesn't 100% scan, but having everyone quickly agree with his plan didn't feel right. He shows up uninvited, to a meeting where the only stated agenda was to punish him for disobedience, announces a crazy plan with no details where he hand-waves away dealing with the Avengers, and is immediately elected supreme leader. That didn't feel great to me.

I agree that it feels like an option of last resort, but my problem is that it really didn't seem like they were that desperate. Again, I don't really think it's really worth dissecting the crazy guy's plan, but it might be worth considering the conditions of their lives before they start a nuclear holocaust on a planet with a million of their people on it. Yeah, Fury hasn't delivered a new home, but their lives on Earth don't seem too bad.

Besides, this is now an Earth that is very different from when they first landed. It's now an Earth that knows about extraterrestrial life. It's an Earth that has another small, but thriving alien colony on it. It's also an Earth that defeated Thanos and his army. An Earth that has seems to have the capability to ward off the Kree. They haven't really even introduced themselves and they're jumping straight to genocide because one professional liar lied 30 years ago? It's probably a good thing when the guy who wants to kill billions comes off as a bit crazy and the audience doesn't think it's a great idea, but I do wish we got a bit more pushback from other Skrulls.

His takeover of the secret council wasn't sold very well but it seemed like some had already turned to his side, whether publicly amongst the council or behind the scenes since the British PM was clearly already very bullish on promoting Gravik to Skrull General since she seconded his motion. And then when it went to a vote a second person backed them both, which surprised the three other members of the council. After that, two fell in line and then that final member quit. Skrulls are clearly very fed up.

I think though you're right about them not showing the desperation. This seems more like a convenient story hole due to Kevin Feige and Marvel not following up soon enough on Captain Marvel, which isn't great because nerfing that movie's ending (and everything since) has made Captain Marvel and Nick Fury look really bad. Like, would it really take 30 years and they'd still not have succeeded? So they need to sell the desperation better but I imagine being forced to live in the shadows your whole life in a different skin is not a fun way to live for your whole life, let's be fair. 

And not everyone is jumping straight to genocide, his is an extremist sect. But when you can morph into anyone pretty easily, it'd be easy to destroy human civilization I imagine. Then again, this is the same Earth that seemed to ignore a celestial coming out of an ocean (Eternals) and Ego destroying a town and potentially destroying the planet (Guardians 2). :p 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I appreciate that Gravik is “bad” and that his plan has to be sufficiently menacing. But again, this is a post-Endgame show so having someone attempt global genocide right after Thanos did the thing and to get a lot of buy in on it feels like a lot?

23 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Besides, this is now an Earth that is very different from when they first landed. It's now an Earth that knows about extraterrestrial life. It's an Earth that has another small, but thriving alien colony on it. It's also an Earth that defeated Thanos and his army. An Earth that has seems to have the capability to ward off the Kree. They haven't really even introduced themselves and they're jumping straight to genocide because one professional liar lied 30 years ago?

It's probably a good thing when the guy who wants to kill billions comes off as a bit crazy and the audience doesn't think it's a great idea, but I do wish we got a bit more pushback from other Skrulls.

This, basically.

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

His takeover of the secret council wasn't sold very well but it seemed like some had already turned to his side, whether publicly amongst the council or behind the scenes since the British PM was clearly already very bullish on promoting Gravik to Skrull General since she seconded his motion. And then when it went to a vote a second person backed them both, which surprised the three other members of the council. After that, two fell in line and then that final member quit. Skrulls are clearly very fed up.

I think though you're right about them not showing the desperation. This seems more like a convenient story hole due to Kevin Feige and Marvel not following up soon enough on Captain Marvel, which isn't great because nerfing that movie's ending (and everything since) has made Captain Marvel and Nick Fury look really bad. Like, would it really take 30 years and they'd still not have succeeded? So they need to sell the desperation better but I imagine being forced to live in the shadows your whole life in a different skin is not a fun way to live for your whole life, let's be fair. 

And not everyone is jumping straight to genocide, his is an extremist sect. But when you can morph into anyone pretty easily, it'd be easy to destroy human civilization I imagine. Then again, this is the same Earth that seemed to ignore a celestial coming out of an ocean (Eternals) and Ego destroying a town and potentially destroying the planet (Guardians 2). :p 

Again I know expecting tight continuity here is a fool’s errand but like… Captain Marvel found Iron Man and Nebula in fucking outer space when she wasn’t looking for them. Homegirl seems like she could find whatever the MCU equivalent of a Class M planet is at some point since The Usual Suspects came out, come on now. The planet where Thor killed Thanos seems pretty fucking nice! It has fruit and everything, Jesus Christ.

• Like 1
  • True 1

Jesus you guys are overthinking this thing TO DEATH. It doesn't matter whether or not viewers know that Gravik healed from Extremis... shit I didn't realize it until this thread... what matters is that he has literally creating "Super-Skrulls" to deal with the Avengers as stated in the episode.  Also "millions of Skrulls" may or may not be complicit in the plan... most of Gravik's refugees aren't even fighters and may not know the plan or the extent of it but even if they do,  in the comics the Skrulls were portrayed as evil little green men who were basically a stand in for communists when every villain in the Marvel Universe was some form of communist, fifth column subversive.  The portrayal here is a LOT more nuanced. Gravik is a zealot who at the end of the day is far more interested in inflicting the same amount of pain that he himself has experienced on SOMEONE.  He's justified it being humans because one,  the way they treat each other and their planet and two, they have something he wants... Earth. Does anyone really think he would stop here if he gets what he wants? No. He'd be working on creating a new intergalactic Skrull Empire.

I'm really digging this show,  it might be my favorite Disney show to date. Maybe I'm biased because I love spy thrillers, or maybe I'm digging seeing a bunch of people that look like me (Alien or not) in prominent roles on both sides of the conflict, I don't know,  but as @ARZ said to me in a private chat, each episode leaves you fiending for the next one like Dave Chappelle fiending for Crack. I'm both happy and sad that I'm watching it week to week instead of waiting for all of the episodes to be up before diving in.

• Like 1
  • True 1

I thought today's episode was another fun one, with good action, some real pathos between Fury and his wife and some solid twists and turns. I'm not spoiler-ing things since this is a week to week show, so beware. So how long has Rhodey been a Skrull? I don't think Marvel will undo all the character work Rhodey has gone through when he obviously wasn't written as a Skrull so except barring his appearance in The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, where it's possible he was a Skrull there, I'm going to say this is a more recent development. But where is the original Rhodey? Is he dead? Incapacitated along with all those people in comas that helped build the Super Skrull/Extremis machine? I had similar thoughts about what has happened to Martin Freeman's character since a Skrull impersonated him in the premiere.

Anyways, show is doing a solid job (not an amazing job or anything) of what it's going for.  

Some think it happened during Civil War, after Vision shot him down. Since Tony went off to “fight” with Capt and Bucky. Reason why he was able to slightly walk in the end.

fun episode but they seem to be getting shorter. Anyways good character moments with great tension and then we got action which was surprisingly bloody looking. Hard to see how this is wrapped up in just 2 more episodes, but can’t wait

14 hours ago, silentbob said:

Some think it happened during Civil War, after Vision shot him down. Since Tony went off to “fight” with Capt and Bucky. Reason why he was able to slightly walk in the end.

fun episode but they seem to be getting shorter. Anyways good character moments with great tension and then we got action which was surprisingly bloody looking. Hard to see how this is wrapped up in just 2 more episodes, but can’t wait

Stark gave him tech that helped him walk.

Anyone else find this show to be mixed incredibly low?

Normally I have the volume on my computer set to like 35 or so for most things, maybe up to 40 for video games. Sometimes up to 50 for movies. For this series, I have to set it to like 70.

On 7/12/2023 at 10:25 AM, Greatoneshere said:

I thought today's episode was another fun one, with good action, some real pathos between Fury and his wife and some solid twists and turns. I'm not spoiler-ing things since this is a week to week show, so beware. So how long has Rhodey been a Skrull? I don't think Marvel will undo all the character work Rhodey has gone through when he obviously wasn't written as a Skrull so except barring his appearance in The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, where it's possible he was a Skrull there, I'm going to say this is a more recent development. But where is the original Rhodey? Is he dead? Incapacitated along with all those people in comas that helped build the Super Skrull/Extremis machine? I had similar thoughts about what has happened to Martin Freeman's character since a Skrull impersonated him in the premiere.

Anyways, show is doing a solid job (not an amazing job or anything) of what it's going for.  

Freeman is probably in Wakanda. Rhodes is more than likely captured. No idea how long he's been a Skrull but I suspect it's been since post Endgame.

• Halal 1

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Freeman is probably in Wakanda. Rhodes is more than likely captured. No idea how long he's been a Skrull but I suspect it's been since post Endgame.

Freeman is likely in Wakanda, I agree, but can the Skrulls really risk impersonating someone they don't have captured and kidnapped as a hostage? Because one could likely find out that two of that person is running around, so that's what made me think Freeman might not be maybe. 

Rhodey definitely seems like he's in more danger though, perhaps captured for sure.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Freeman is likely in Wakanda, I agree, but can the Skrulls really risk impersonating someone they don't have captured and kidnapped as a hostage? Because one could likely find out that two of that person is running around, so that's what made me think Freeman might not be maybe. 

Rhodey definitely seems like he's in more danger though, perhaps captured for sure.

Given how secretive the Wakandans are, its possible the Skrulls have no idea where he is and figured he was dead or off the grid. I don't know.  Two more episodes to find out.

• True 1