2022 Midterm Thread

While it was a stupid gambit to be propping up Trump candidates this time, and it paid off. It shouldn’t be done again.

That said, I hate dealing in what ifs, I hate when people say “Biden only won because of covid” or “Dems won these midterms because of Roe getting overturned”. Shit happens, there are no mulligans or asterisks. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

54 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

While it was a stupid gambit to be propping up Trump candidates this time, and it paid off. It shouldn’t be done again.

That said, I hate dealing in what ifs, I hate when people say “Biden only won because of covid” or “Dems won these midterms because of Roe getting overturned”. Shit happens, there are no mulligans or asterisks. 

With COVID that was a second term win for him on a silver platter. Only he could fuck it up that badly. 

• True 2

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

Completely agreed. Taken further, it's not even necessarily shit just happening. Covid may be something you can't account for happening in the world, but Trump and the Repubs shit response is certainly something that would make average voters go the other way. Repubs packed the Supreme Court with conservative nutbags who did exactly what they wanted, repeal Roe v. Wade. Well, it's 2022 and I'm pretty sure that's going to make voters go the other way. Dems are being handed victories thanks to stupid Republican policies, values, and tactics so what's even the point when someone inanely says: "Biden only won because of?" For those idiots who love what ifs.

Yeah buddy, that's how politics works. One party is fucking up a lot more, and the other won because of so and so. It's like when people watch movies and they go: "the character could do this, or that, or that". Yeah bro, there are three possible routes for the character to take, thanks for listing them out loud.

Or in sports when someone goes: "that team only won because of this call, and that missed catch or kick, or that penalty". It can be frustrating, but that's how sports works every single time. There was this great bit on Fox where one of the dumb ass hosts was like: "we lost because of singe women voters, minority voters, young voters, and urban voters!" So you lost because the other side . . . appealed to more voters? Maybe you should try to start appealing to them? It's like they are frustrated these groups even exist rather than trying to appeal to them als- . . .

:pikachu:

Oh. Wait. This tracks.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Taniel
@Taniel
️Lead change in Nevada: Democrat Cisco Aguilar is now ahead of Republican Jim Marchant for secretary of state.

Marchant is arguably *THE* election denier of the cycle: he played a leading role in organizing election deniers all around the country to run for these offices.

Cortez Masto carries today's batch of mail ballots from CLARK COUNTY by 27%. (It's less than yesterday's batch, which was +36%, though I think based on my rough spreadsheets it's still a tad more than she needs.)

Good news!

It pleases me to see Marchant get bumped down and Fiore. Shame we are dealing with with a Governor now that is a low key election denier and only distanced himself a bit from Trump when he started to realize that it was hurting him (but of course in the end was right back with him). 

52 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I don't have AppleTV, so I can't watch it 

They did a twitter spaces thing afterwards, and you can listen to the recording of for free on Twitter. Obviously I’m not allowed to link to it here BUT it’s @TheProblem and it should be like the third or fourth tweet down. For the episode itself you can “search around” for a download. :fap:

6 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

You know, I just thought of something.  I know the VP serves as the tiebreaker in the Senate, but what happens if the House somehow ties?

There is no tiebreaker in the house rules, as far as I know. But there is also less chance of ties in the house, so not really an issue.