2022 Midterm Thread

9 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Kevin McCarthy is from California. So too is Devin Nunes when he was relevent. 

And they have no real impact on our statewide politics. They have their districts and can be annoying at the national level but the 23rd, or is it 20th now? Is the middle of nowhere 

This may be THE result of the night: Democrats appear to won control of the Michigan state goverment for the first time in at least 40 years. 

They flipped both chambers of the state legislature (tho they may need a tie-breaker in one), @GongwerMichigan is reporting.

Winning state legislatures is what Democrats will need to prevent electoral college chicanery. 

• Halal 6

MSNBC saying that the fundamentals for AZ looks strong, and that Kelly is favoured (based on the still-uncounted votes not being enough to swing the result to the GOP, based on 2018 and 2020 results). WAPO saying that NV is going to be incredibly close, but still favours Democrats slightly, based on the outstanding vote.

It would be incredible if the Dems don't need the GA runoff at all (though hopefully they cinch it anyway, of course).

• Hugs 3

8 minutes ago, Brian said:

Trump v DeSantis - let the infighting begin

:angry-fap:

my brother is so hoping DeSantis wins the primary if he runs for the president. Because in his view, and I’m sure the view of a lot of people, DeSantis would fall in line if Trump won, but not so sure Trump falls in line at DeSantis wins.

I learned after 2016 to be careful what I wish for, but it really does make a lot of sense.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

Just now, SaysWho? said:

my brother is so hoping DeSantis wins the primary if he runs for the president. Because in his view, and I’m sure the view of a lot of people, DeSantis would fall in line if Trump won, but not so sure Trump falls in line at DeSantis wins.

I learned after 2016 to be careful what I wish for, but it really does make a lot of sense.

At this point I don't care to make predictions about which would be better for the Democrats to run against. On the one hand, Trump seems to be growing more and more unpopular, so him running likely helps the Dems since they can campaign against him, more than anything else. On the other hand, DeSantis doesn't have the same cult (nationally) that Trump does, so the only-Trumpers (who normally don't vote often) might not turn out for the GOP. But maybe some "moderates" will vote DeSantis because he's not Trump. Who knows.

Obviously the smart play for the GOP is Trump/DeSantis ticket, but they can't do that, I think.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

DeSantis seems relatively afraid to go up against Trump that I am not sure he will take the mantle the Republicans will desperately throwing on him.

What I hope comes from this is Republicans finally accept MAGA isn’t a winning platform. That if Trump gets indicted, they use that opportunity to finally purge him from the party. This is wishful thinking I know but last night put me in a good mood. 

• Hugs 1

It’s awesome to see the wins for abortion rights all across the country. Even better to see Michigan leading the way with such expansive language in our proposal. I know this was a huge issue for the women in my life. I feel better knowing that they feel just a little bit safer in this state and country.

• Like 1
  • Halal 3
  • Hugs 1

Just now, Dre801 said:

DeSantis winning shouldn't shock anyone.  Crist was not a strong contender and the ship has sailed for him.  He'll never be governor here again.  

I can-all-but assure you that absolutely no one on this board is even remotely shocked, ESPECIALLY against a repeated loser like Charlie Crist!

• True 2

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I honestly don't care about politics in general. Speaking about anything I would want to say in here would just get trashed.

This board is 100% democratic and everyone here makes 6 figures. A bunch of rich snobs really. 

Lmao, cope and seethe

• True 1