Roe v. Wade is dead

3 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Congress needs a uniform dress code for all members.  

kronk-point.gif

I mean is that the "reason" a couple of male senator voted from the coat room on the confirmation hearing for KBJ. Is because the dress code required them to wear a tie.

Maybe Lindsey should have just walked out on the floor in a mini-skirt and a plunging neckline to avoid the dress code. 

Some people in Canada want the dress code changed for the Commons:

question-period-20210324.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

NDP MPs are calling for the elimination of what they call the House of Commons' "archaic" dress code, which requires men to wear jackets and ties to speak in the chamber.

There are no specific dress rules for women MPs, who still constitute a minority in the House of Commons; like men, they must dress in "contemporary business attire" in order to speak in a debate.

Rare exceptions have been made to the rules for men — allowing them to wear a kilt on Robbie Burns Day, for example.

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Dress codes reinforce heteronormative, misogynist, and white norms and should be abolished for elected officials and in all cases except ones that serve a safety function.  

Also in the workplace. “Professional” attire is racist bullshit.

• Halal 2

I am a firm believer in wearing nice things, but only because they make me feel nice (as in, clean, well-fitting clothes). If people want to wear a t-shirt to work, then who gives a fuck? Unless—as mentioned—there are safety concerns (or issues with cleanliness, etc), then it shouldn't matter.

56 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Some people in Canada want the dress code changed for the Commons:

question-period-20210324.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

NDP MPs are calling for the elimination of what they call the House of Commons' "archaic" dress code, which requires men to wear jackets and ties to speak in the chamber.

My brother in Christ you’re doing it again

• Haha 3

I live in California and work in an industry where dress codes are pretty lax but I PROMISE YOU if you get rid of some kind of standard in professional environments you're asking for all kinds of bullshit and fuckery. There are some people who simply have no idea what is and isn't appropriate to wear in a work environment and I think some guidelines is acceptable. 

• True 5

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I live in California and work in an industry where dress codes are pretty lax but I PROMISE YOU if you get rid of some kind of standard in professional environments you're asking for all kinds of bullshit and fuckery. There are some people who simply have no idea what is and isn't appropriate to wear in a work environment and I think some guidelines is acceptable. 

The issue is just…who decides it? Historically: white guys. And there are still toooonnnnsss of business dress norms that come from that. Not sure your hair situation, but tons of natural Black hairdos like my brothers west are considered “unprofessional”, and obviously female dress is far more policies than male dress.

There probably are some basica code of conduct and dress that could be developed that aren’t relics of the past that keep females and racial minorities in their place, but it always raises an eyebrow for me when I hear it brought up.

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This is true, I think it was my dad that told me a story of when he was working at a Catholic run healthcare plan near Philly that went out of its way to hire people who historically didn’t have access to office jobs. They relaxed the dress code to allow women to wear sleeveless / cold shoulder style tops. A woman came into work and had to be sent home because her upper arm had a tattoo of a naked woman finger blasting herself; her point was that the policy allowed for sleeveless shirts. :p

So I dunno where the middle ground is, since I think @sblfilms is correct which I am sure I don’t need to tell either of you. The platonic ideal for me is probably closer to finger blast tattoo than business casual tho :p

• Haha 3
  • Halal 1

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

This is true, I think it was my dad that told me a story of when he was working at a Catholic run healthcare plan near Philly that went out of its way to hire people who historically didn’t have access to office jobs. They relaxed the dress code to allow women to wear sleeveless / cold shoulder style tops. A woman came into work and had to be sent home because her upper arm had a tattoo of a naked woman finger blasting herself; her point was that the policy allowed for sleeveless shirts. :p

So I dunno where the middle ground is, since I think @sblfilms is correct which I am sure I don’t need to tell either of you. The platonic ideal for me is probably closer to finger blast tattoo than business casual tho :p

The most old man opinion I have is that people should be required to take some kind of aesthetics test before they get a tattoo.

I think the hairstyle thing is definitely rooted in racist and classist attitudes and that should be done away with. Tatoos as well as long as they aren't offensive like the one described above. But I've seen folks come to work wearing shit that is really only appropriate for night clubs. Again I worked at a company where our receptionist was a punk rocker who routinely changed her hair color from pink to green to purple and nobody gave a shit. But as @Kal-El814said, I've also worked at places wehere folks just didn't know what was appropriate to wear in the work place and had to be shown what was and wasn't appropriate to wear to work. It's alot more lax in production companies... I've NEVER had to wear a suit or bullshit like that to work. Ever.

5 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

The most old man opinion I have is that people should be required to take some kind of aesthetics test before they get a tattoo.

I love bad tattoos. One of my favorites on a friend of a friend who has full sleeves and a chest piece is one that just says “Rip it!” that he gave himself while he was drunk. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love a well done tattoo also. 

26 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I love bad tattoos. One of my favorites on a friend of a friend who has full sleeves and a chest piece is one that just says “Rip it!” that he gave himself while he was drunk. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love a well done tattoo also. 

So if it was tasteful artful finger blasting you'd be down? 

4 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Mine is ear gauges. Like half dollar sized ones and when they are out the ear looks like a looped around deflated balloon.

I mean, you do you but it's one of those things where it wasn't a part of my generation so I doubt I'll ever really "get" it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Well, good thing the left controls most of this nation’s largest population centers and economies :dab: let the chuds shell Manhattan for a few months and see how far it gets them lmao 

But The Right has most of the guns... c'mon man. Nobody wants another Civil War and you guys really need to stop putting that silly shit out there.

• True 3
  • Halal 1

As an Italian, my stance on dress codes is this: wear whatever you want (as long as there’s no inappropriate sayings on your clothing).

HOWEVER, if you come in wearing crocks on your feet, I’m having you thrown in the river wearing a different type of shoes.

Way too late to this convo but whatever.

I wear black t-shirts with horrific imagery on them and jeans to work (when I go into the office) and always have. It's comfortable. I would riot if I couldn't wear something comfortable and "me" to my current job. I'm a programmer.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've put on a necktie, slacks and/or a suit in the past eight years. But, if I were elected to be a Senator you bet your ass I'd be wearing a tie every fucking time I walked into that chamber. I think a bland approach is best when you are representing people of all stripes. I agree with those saying that "work appropriate" dress has generally been defined by wealthy white men. But there are people--in federal office, no less--that I feel do both dress the part and represent who they are as members of a specific community fairly well. Sinema's t-shirt that wouldn't be out of place on a teenager at a sleepover isn't that, however. But also, it's not offensive either.

I've made it a condition of my continued employment that I never have to wear a suit & tie. Its actually in my personal dialog document every year, stretching back over my last 6 directors. I've also made it clear that I will never take a director's position. 

53 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

But The Right has most of the guns... c'mon man. Nobody wants another Civil War and you guys really need to stop putting that silly shit out there.

A lot of online leftism is just depressed people sadly.

• True 2