DeSantis creates voter suppression gestapo

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Yeah, if you ask the State for a voter registration card and the state gives one to you, it's hard to justify convicting them of voter fraud. To me, asking for the card is asking for permission, even if that's not legally true.

The onus should absolutely be on the state to reject their registrations. It's crazy that they'll allow someone to register, successfully enroll them, tell them they can vote at the local polls, and then arrest them down the road for voter fraud because they didn't know the law well enough.

• Halal 1

11 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

The onus should absolutely be on the state to reject their registrations. It's crazy that they'll allow someone to register, successfully enroll them, tell them they can vote at the local polls, and then arrest them down the road for voter fraud because they didn't know the law well enough.

It's not the states job to police it's own policy...until it wants to find a political win to hold a press conference.

14 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Remember when the Supreme Court struck down part of the Voting Rights Act in Shelby v. Holder and John Roberts' reasoning was basically, "Racism ended 40 years ago so this doesn't matter anymore"?

Florida, "Sure, the vast majority of the people targeted here were minorities, but if at least one of them was white then it wasn't racist."

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

A few years ago there was that one woman in Texas where she was telling the voting official that she didn't think she was eligible to vote but the official insisted she was good and should fill out the forms...and then the woman got locked up and nothing ever happened to the official.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

A few years ago there was that one woman in Texas where she was telling the voting official that she didn't think she was eligible to vote but the official insisted she was good and should fill out the forms...and then the woman got locked up and nothing ever happened to the official.

I remember that story, but nothing should have happened to that official. The official told her that if she was unsure of her status, she could just cast a provisional ballot. That's the whole reason those provisional ballots are even there. Her vote was never even counted as she was deemed to not be eligible. It was wild bullshit.

05%20Crystal%20Mason%20LBS%20TT.jpg
WWW.TEXASTRIBUNE.ORG

The Tarrant County woman faces a five-year prison sentence for casting a provisional ballot in the 2016 election while on supervised release for a federal conviction. Her vote was never counted.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I remember that story, but nothing should have happened to that official. The official told her that if she was unsure of her status, she could just cast a provisional ballot. That's the whole reason those provisional ballots are even there. Her vote was never even counted as she was deemed to not be eligible. It was wild bullshit.

05%20Crystal%20Mason%20LBS%20TT.jpg
WWW.TEXASTRIBUNE.ORG

The Tarrant County woman faces a five-year prison sentence for casting a provisional ballot in the 2016 election while on supervised release for a federal conviction. Her vote was never counted.

Ah okay, I didn't remember the detail about it being a provisional ballot, I thought they'd just fully signed her up.

7 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

Remember when the Supreme Court struck down part of the Voting Rights Act in Shelby v. Holder and John Roberts' reasoning was basically, "Racism ended 40 years ago so this doesn't matter anymore"?

The conservative belief of a colorblind constitution is just jarring considering their supposed affinity for history as it applies to constitutional law

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The conservative belief of a colorblind constitution is just jarring considering their supposed affinity for history as it applies to constitutional law

I mean, I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know here but you and I both know that the putative color blindness is nothing more than sophistry; a credulous argument from those with power knowing how neutral language inherently benefits them.

• True 3

I've said this before, it is literally the people forever under the thumb of the government that have most reason for wanting to choose their representation. Restore all voters.

7 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I've said this before, it is literally the people forever under the thumb of the government that have most reason for wanting to choose their representation. Restore all voters.

That’s literally what we voted for! The ballot initiative didn’t have all these provisions and exceptions. The state GOP inserted them to subvert the will of voters. 

• Halal 2

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Note: the case was tossed on a procedural matter so don't get too excited about its potential ramifications.

true, but

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article267659012.html

Davis argued that Statewide Prosecutor Nicholas Cox, who reports to Attorney General Ashley Moody, did not have jurisdiction to bring charges against Wood.

The statewide prosecutor is restricted by law to prosecuting crimes, including voting, involving two or more judicial circuits. Those crimes are usually “complex, often large scale, organized criminal activity,” according to its website.

In the case of Wood and at least 18 other people DeSantis has accused of voting illegally in 2020, the statewide prosecutor said they committed crimes in multiple jurisdictions when they first registered to vote and then cast a ballot, each third-degree felonies carrying up to five years in prison.

[...]

Regardless, statewide prosecutors still have a difficult task seeing each of the 18 other cases through to conviction. State law says that a voter has to “willfully” commit the crime — a hurdle that has forced some prosecutors not to charge ineligible voters.

I'll take it. no doubt they'll change the law though

• 1 year later...