Activision workers walk out over lifting of vaccine mandate. It ‘came as a shock to everybody.’

Jason

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

At this point it's more about keeping the assholes out of the office. Who would want to work with someone who chose not to be vaccinated? That's practically a 100% match for all douchebags. 

I got my first two shots. But then they said I needed another. Then another. Then another. Now it's just profiteering.

19 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I got my first two shots. But then they said I needed another. Then another. Then another. Now it's just profiteering.

Yes, they are making money on it. So too are companies that recharge fire extinguishers every few years, or companies that sell batteries to replace the dying ones in your smoke detector. But feel free to ignore those, too? 

Boosters (at least once a year) appear to significantly improve your odds of reducing severe illness with COVID-19 compared to two shots. Especially if the booster is Moderna.

I’m as pro vaccine as they come but at some point it becomes unrealistic to expect companies to require vaccination going forward. Also if you’re vaccinated at this point… you’re pretty much good. It’s the people who aren’t you should be worried about and they’ve made their choice. 

“I don’t want to have to go into a workplace where I don’t know who I can trust to not get me sick,” she said

Do these people even listen to themselves speak? There is no less risk of getting it from a vaccinated person. It spreads at the exact same rate either way. 

People and companies are ready to move on. The unvaccinated have made their choice. Insurance companies will probably refuse to pay for care of the unvaxxed, many will die, but for the rest of us, life goes on. But this certainly isn't a valid reason for a walkout, and no union would allow a wildcat strike like this over something this simple. 

1 minute ago, BloodyHell said:

Do these people even listen to themselves speak? There is no less risk of getting it from a vaccinated person. It spreads at the exact same rate either way. 

People and companies are ready to move on. The unvaccinated have made their choice. Insurance companies will probably refuse to pay for care of the unvaxxed, many will die, but for the rest of us, life goes on. But this certainly isn't a valid reason for a walkout, and no union would allow a wildcat strike like this over something this simple. 

I’m not sure there’s no less risk but your point is valid in that it’s probably not significant to matter. 

I do find there to be a massive regional difference in tolerance though, like I’m in nebraska and we barely ever wore masks lol and on the west coast it seems like they just barely starting coming out again. 

My mom got COVID in Dec of 2019 before it was supposed to be a thing here, then proceeded to give it to me. Didn't know it was COVID till later when I got tested for antibodies. Still got vaccinated. Got COVID again after getting vaxxed despite doing all the things. Neither time I got sick was serious so I never bothered with the boosters.

Sorry.

It was hyperbolic or ignorant to say the risk is the same, so I certainly have sympathy for anyone who doesn’t feel comfortable working in an environment where the employer isn’t willing to mandate a vaccine. I’m at a place though where I don’t find it offensive or really significantly irresponsible that companies are dropping mandates. I think if you feel that way, maybe start with seeing if you can get a doctor exemption to like work from home or something like that, and if you can’t make that work at some point you might just have to consider a different position for a while until you reach a place where you feel safe. 

13 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I’m not sure there’s no less risk but your point is valid in that it’s probably not significant to matter. 

I do find there to be a massive regional difference in tolerance though, like I’m in nebraska and we barely ever wore masks lol and on the west coast it seems like they just barely starting coming out again. 

Yep, and in California there's still a number of people wearing their masks. I'm glad it's more normalized here and hopefully more people will wear a mask when they don't feel well. 

• True 1

7 minutes ago, johnny said:

Yep, and in California there's still a number of people wearing their masks. I'm glad it's more normalized here and hopefully more people will wear a mask when they don't feel well. 

I was hoping one thing that would come out of this is people would wear masks if they have a cold or something, but they’ve become so politicized here that (some) people actively despise them. Omaha had a mandate until a few months ago and it was the second mandate, and I’d say half the people walking around the grocery store wouldn’t wear one. And the stores stopped trying to enforce it just for the safety of their own people. 

People are such assholes. 

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

At this point it's more about keeping the assholes out of the office. Who would want to work with someone who chose not to be vaccinated? That's practically a 100% match for all douchebags. 

Activision...keeping "assholes" out of their offices...

mad men lol GIF

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Dimden said:

Major cultural and attitudinal differences from places like China, Japan or South Korea (trust in authority) compounded by the fact that we're still - loosely - a free nation and exacerbated by the fact that we have a constitution which is supposed to limit government tyranny. Getting everyone to comply was and is an absolute pipe dream, hell, getting as many people as we did to become vaccinated is quite honestly the best outcome we could have hoped for. Anyone who thinks otherwise is simply not living within the bounds of reality.

I agree that people who are obviously sick should stay home, or if they HAVE to go out, be pro-active about protecting others from themselves (masks, limited contact, minimizing time spent in one place, etc.), but the rest of us should just move on. We got our shots, we did all the things demanded of us, it's time to just live and move forward to tomorrow.

edit: also, it's not exactly helpful to treat everyone as an adversary, we have on idea who is or isn't vaccinated and you're (people in general) just going to suffer endless aggravation trying to enforce your morals and ethics on people who are either ignorant or simply don't care. If they want to take the risk going maskless and unvaccinated, that's on them. You got your shots, you're good, unless you don't have any faith in the vaccinations you took, the science around them or the politicians, medical practitioners and manufacturers promoting them...

Depends on what you mean by “move on,” because I think we need to adapt to situations as circumstances change. I think it was you that mentioned the disease was “endemic,” and it might be but I don’t think we can say that with certainty yet, depending on what you mean by it. Like there’s still a chance another mutation comes through that could overwhelm facilities again, and in that case the people who are “over it” (which is everyone, there’s just people who are more assholey and selfish about it) are going to have to suck it up and put up with certain restrictions again. 

And I still think mandated vaccinations are appropriate in some places aka I work in a hospital / health care facility, flu shots have been mandated for years and I hope they continue to require covid boosters if the evidence shows that is helpful. 

i am getting in the weeds though and I’m sure you’re on board with me in this stuff. 

52 minutes ago, Dimden said:

Major cultural and attitudinal differences from places like China, Japan or South Korea (trust in authority) compounded by the fact that we're still - loosely - a free nation and exacerbated by the fact that we have a constitution which is supposed to limit government tyranny. Getting everyone to comply was and is an absolute pipe dream, hell, getting as many people as we did to become vaccinated is quite honestly the best outcome we could have hoped for. Anyone who thinks otherwise is simply not living within the bounds of reality.

One of the ostensible reasons that American conservatives say that "big" (i.e. normal) government isn't needed is because it prevents good things from happening. Examples cited are things like churches raising money to help people in need (rather than government social programs), etc. But the US itself shows that this is not true—even though it has fewer safety nets than any other developed nation on earth (and in fact, fewer than many developing nations), it still can't take care of people with charity. People refusing to wear masks is a great example—they say government shouldn't have to force it, because people should be free to make the right choice. But then Americans more than other western nations make the wrong choice (in terms of masking less, getting fewer vaccines, etc).

It really does prove that the issue was never government (or tyranny, lol) to begin with, it's the very cultural foundations of the American society. Big government or small, the American culture is rotten to the core. It values personal liberty but nothing that would support that liberty (such as community, tolerance, the value of an individual life, etc). 

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

24 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

One of the ostensible reasons that American conservatives say that "big" (i.e. normal) government isn't needed is because it prevents good things from happening. Examples cited are things like churches raising money to help people in need (rather than government social programs), etc. But the US itself shows that this is not true—even though it has fewer safety nets than any other developed nation on earth (and in fact, fewer than many developing nations), it still can't take care of people with charity. People refusing to wear masks is a great example—they say government shouldn't have to force it, because people should be free to make the right choice. But then Americans more than other western nations make the wrong choice (in terms of masking less, getting fewer vaccines, etc).

It really does prove that the issue was never government (or tyranny, lol) to begin with, it's the very cultural foundations of the American society. Big government or small, the American culture is rotten to the core. It values personal liberty but nothing that would support that liberty (such as community, tolerance, the value of an individual life, etc). 

We need to keep 100 regardless of what this country masterbates to. The American revolution was just a petite bourgeoisie (really need to memorize how to spell that) Legit just a bunch of white slave owners wanting to be free from paying the taxes they owe the empire. 

On 4/8/2022 at 3:02 PM, SimpleG said:

Remember folks "BIG GOVERNMENT" is only ever a problem when its not your side making the rules.

yeah, but only one side ever complains about “big government”, while the other points out the hypocrisy of trying to set legal restrictions on two consenting legal adults. 

one side that refers to a liberal controlled government as a “nanny state”, saying they’ll let business decide, then pass legislation baring businesses from making a decision they don’t like.

saying they don’t want the government decided how to raise their kids. Then wanting the government to get involved and stop parents from showing support of a Transgender youth. Who a couple decades ago (if even that long) wanted the same government intervention if a kid was homosexual. But nah, tell them they can’t beat their kid and suddenly the government is too big and overbearing. 

the same people claiming to want small government also want the government to step in a protect them in bankruptcy. You know, instead of that personal responsibility they love to talk about. 

they want a government just as big and just as intrusive. They just want it to mirror their beliefs and to do that it can be as big as it needs to be. And they don’t want to pay for it. 

corporations are the same. They want to deregulate their business, but have regulations on their customers and workers. Namely no workers rights and legal protections from their workers and the general public. They want government subsidies and lower tax burden. Privatize the profits and socialize the risks. 

I hate this “big government vs small government” bullshit. Most people want a big obtrusive government. They just want “their” government that protects their interests and beliefs. And one side just won’t admit that’s what they want.