Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I agree. I think it will be used to pump his other businesses since a solid 80%* of his wealth is from media hype

*i made up this number

Yup. I think whatever economic benefit he gets is not because Twitter as business generates anything for him, but even this move to purchase twitter is largely about him as a brand.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I actually don't think this is a good money maker. Twitter has the weakest position in the social media space based on monetization, and there doesn't seem to be a good path forward in that regard. I was listening to one of Musk's close friends talk about it and he felt pretty doubtful that this was economically driven for Musk, at least not in a direct sense.

I agree. Looking at their most recent earnings report, and it's clear that Twitter doesn't even consistently make money. It's also not as if this is early Facebook or Amazon where they could be making more money if they just decide to. This is a social network that, despite its prominence in news media, I don't believe has ever really focused itself into what is it actually good at.

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

This sale would trigger capital gains taxes on all the shareholders right? 

Depends on what the current holders paid. I'm sure many bought when the price was higher than $54.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

Elon Musk will run for president one day. Unlike Trump, he has his own social media platform already to spread misinformation.

The Don is just gonna appoint him as his successor. (Probably not it's gonna be Ivanka)

5 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Elon Musk will run for president one day. Unlike Trump, he has his own social media platform already to spread misinformation.

I think it’ll be a thing where some people try to change the law for him some day, but I don’t think they’ll adjust it because they aren’t going to want to open the doors for more immigrant presidents.

Just now, Firewithin said:

do you think that will stop him in the age of nothing mattering anymore

From running? No, there have been other naturalized people who have run presidential campaigns. But it would preclude him from being elected. Which is why it would be a strange play.

Also where’s that meme some of you shared of the joke conversation about someone saying they were banned for conservative speech, and the other guy goes oh for saying you support tax cuts, and person a says something like “No… you know the kind of speech.”

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

They’ll all get together to make him eligible if they control enough states.

What 38 states are going to ratify a constitutional amendment?

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Also where’s that meme some of you shared of the joke conversation about someone saying they were banned for conservative speech, and the other guy goes oh for saying you support tax cuts, and person a says something like “No… you know the kind of speech.”

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

Very similar to what DeSantis did with Disney, and yet many people around here were cheering him on.

Even if you agree with a certain outcome at the time you shouldn't cheer this shit on because it won't lead to more equitable outcomes overall....it will simpy lead to more pliable businesses.

19 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Very similar to what DeSantis did with Disney, and yet many people around here were cheering him on.

Even if you agree with a certain outcome at the time you shouldn't cheer this shit on because it won't lead to more equitable outcomes overall....it will simpy lead to more pliable businesses.

To the best of my knowledge, no one "cheered" that situation at all.

It was couched in terms of correct outcome, absolutely incorrect context to get to that outcome.

• Halal 1

38 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

The 38 they gerrymander.

Let's be honest--the constitution will cease to matter as an obstacle to power within the next ten years. It might be Musk, or Trump, or someone else, but we're anywhere from one to three terms away from someone being President illegally. 

• True 1

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Let's be honest--the constitution will cease to matter as an obstacle to power within the next ten years. It might be Musk, or Trump, or someone else, but we're anywhere from one to three terms away from someone being President illegally. 

That's a pretty cynical take.