Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

My counterargument to that is that the overall competitive environment is very different today than it was when those platforms were born, thrived, and died.  It's going to be very challenging if not impossible for a viable alternative to Twitter.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

The market is saturated and well within a period of consolidation; even Microsoft and Google (who do not lack the resources to scale and do so quickly) couldn’t establish a foothold. Anything that gets big enough to threaten their market share will get acquired before that threat is fully realized. 

To add to these takes, what we've seen for years in social media isn't direct competition, but very different models. From Instagram to Snap to TikTok to Clubhouse, it's not apps that aim to replace the established social media networks, but instead apps that serve different ends through different means.

There have been attempts at direct competition, with things like Parler and Truth, but we've never seen them gain much ground.

Now, I will add in the caveat that should Elon actually follow through with his threat to limit speech only to what the law requires, then we could well see Twitter crater and a more direct competitor emerge.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

There have been attempts at direct competition, with things like Parler and Truth, but we've never seen them gain much ground.

I agree with the general thrust of the idea that Musk will have to actively run Twitter into the ground to dethrone it, but Parler and Truth were not actual attempts at competition, they were just chud grifting. Anything that's going to dethrone an established social media giant can't have such a narrow targeted audience that the vast majority absolutely will not under any circumstances sign up for given the primary audience/The Orange One owning it.

• True 1

Also, none of us are going to know about the new thing until it's already well-adopted by teenagers. The fact that TikTok is now majority >30 means that we are close to a tipping point on something new arising for young people to flock to. Same thing happened to Facebook and Instagram. Not to say the old thing can't remain profitable, but it will stop its massive growth and will then shift to accommodate the older demographic. 

• True 1

16 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Thats not his fault, and he mentioned nobody, he said, "I agree".

The (soon to be) owner of the company agreeing with a criticism of an employee is the owner criticizing the employee, no need to simp for the billionaire dude. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

The (soon to be) owner of the company agreeing with a criticism of an employee is the owner criticizing the employee, no need to simp for the billionaire dude. 

He agreed with criticism of an action. Keep twisting things to fit your wrong opinion though. No need to simp for the billionaire lawyer lady.

• True 1

42 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I mean this is exactly how harassment works on twitter though. 

It's still not his fault. 

Is this where we are? Valid criticism and/or disagreement is bad? Because thats just as toxic to discourse as the shit the far right is doing. 

The people who harass her are to blame for her harassment, not someone who agrees a decision is wrong 

13 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Is this where we are? Valid criticism and/or disagreement is bad? Because thats just as toxic to discourse as the shit the far right is doing. 

The people who harass her are to blame for her harassment, not someone who agrees a decision is wrong 

Words are violence.  Didn't you know?

Edit:  Even mild criticism by some is viewed as an attack.  [Harrassment is different.]

• Haha 1

Here's an interesting article from Ars about how Twitter could be better, which includes some thoughts from Zuck.

Basically, the idea is that content that pushes the envelope in what is allowed tends to see heightened engagement, but that's often the worst stuff.

engagement-640x333.png

So Zuck's idea was to try and reverse that trend, and have the algorithm reduce visibility on borderline content.

46362727_10105385401568881_6586341110149

Of course, this was only an idea in the abstract. It's difficult to actually implement, but perhaps the bigger hurdle is that reducing engagement hurts your bottom line. It's an interesting idea.

Personally, I only use the chronological feed, so I don't think any change around the algorithm would really affect my usage too much.

2 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:
HPMU3IRVVZKEJM4VX7SDN77QIE.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

There are good reasons for him to get cold feet, Breakingviews columnists Lauren Silva Laughlin and Gina Chon write.

I didn't think he actually wanted to own Twitter, and it's clearly not a great financial move, but I think he's only gotten this far because for whatever reason he has decided it's a thing he wants.

Besides, when thinking about his financial prospects, what's the real downside here? He could lose a hundred billion dollars of wealth and still be worth around the same as  Warren Buffett and Bill Gates.

• True 1

37 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Love pretending like you don’t understand how harassment on the platform works

• True 1
  • Halal 1

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Love pretending like you don’t understand how harassment on the platform works

Morons are morons. If Trump went online tomorrow and said "That girl Jenny at the 31st Ave Burger King isn't very good at her job," he would be unleashing an army of angry chuds on her, probably even physical and in-person harassment, regardless if his remarks were crossing a line or not. When your voice has power, everything you say needs to be policed for the harm it can cause.

• True 1

Maybe if you want to fucking buy the thing you should understand the kinda of things from the kinda of followers that lead to harassment idk just an idea lol jk just keep doing whatever with no consequences because fuck how things actually work in reality as long as you have plausible denial that you didn’t mean to cause any harm.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

Maybe if you want to fucking buy the thing you should understand the kinda of things from the kinda of followers that lead to harassment idk just an idea lol jk just keep doing whatever with no consequences because fuck how things actually work in reality as long as you have plausible denial that you didn’t mean to cause any harm.

He literally responded to Mike fucking Cernovich. Come on.

When big name blue check marks simply *disagree* with another person, hordes of losers go on the attack. All the time. That is an issue the platform could easily solve, and Twitter not doing it is 100% because they don’t want to lower engagement.

29 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

When big name blue check marks simply *disagree* with another person, hordes of losers go on the attack. All the time. That is an issue the platform could easily solve, and Twitter not doing it is 100% because they don’t want to lower engagement.

Definitely seems like a good idea to critique the person (i guess maybe now) buying it for knowingly using the platform in a way that causes such things then. Or if he doesn’t know, then that probably deserves at least as much of a critique because maybe he shouldn’t run it then.

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

Definitely seems like a good idea to critique the person (i guess maybe now) buying it for knowingly using the platform in a way that causes such things then. Or if he doesn’t know, then that probably deserves at least as much of a critique because maybe he shouldn’t run it then.

I am genuinely curious about what you believe is the way to use Twitter that doesn’t lead to harassment given the nature of the platform? The only thing I can see is to never offer negative opinions about anything.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I am genuinely curious about what you believe is the way to use Twitter that doesn’t lead to harassment given the nature of the platform? The only thing I can see is to never offer negative opinions about anything.

The guy purported to be about to run the damn thing? I would want them to only tweet professionally and not remark on soon to be employees publicly at all as a start. A simple “Looking forward to the future!” type of tweet is enough content for me given his current situation.

Just now, stepee said:

The guy purported to be about to run the damn thing? I would want them to only tweet professionally and not remark on soon to be employees publicly at all as a start. A simple “Looking forward to the future!” type of tweet is enough content for me given his current situation.

Ok, so you’re narrowing this down to Musk specifically. I thought we were talking generally about the platform.

In any event, I definitely don’t care that some rich Twitter exec had mean tweets sent to them and I 100% don’t believe any of you do either :p 

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Ok, so you’re narrowing this down to Musk specifically. I thought we were talking generally about the platform.

In any event, I definitely don’t care that some rich Twitter exec had mean tweets sent to them and I 100% don’t believe any of you do either :p 

I mean, I said “the person buying it”, there aren’t that many out there :P

You are right that I don’t care as much about the individual incident as I do the idea of someone who knowingly encourages toxicity or somehow completely ignorant to the way it spreads owning such a large social platform. 

Which yes, wasn’t great before, but this is the topic at hand now and he’s a shit fuck so I only see it getting worse with him, though I expect the biggest problem to arise if he takes it is furthering the spread of dangerous misinformation with harassment mostly staying the same.