Assassin's Creed Mirage (PC/Xbox/PlayStation) - update: Digital Foundry PS5/Xbox Series Technical Review

Brian

On 9/20/2023 at 9:37 AM, BloodyHell said:

I mean, the original trilogy is far better than anything since, and I welcome a return to the style, as well as shortened campaign, over more bullshit like Odyssey and Valhalla.

By "original trilogy" do you mean The Ezio sequel trilogy (AC2, AC: Bortherhood, AC Revelations), or AC1, AC2+, and AC3? If the former, I'm not sure I agree it's far better, but I can understand that. If the latter, a big nope!

The best AC games, IMO are:

* Ezio trilogy

* AC4: Black Flag

* AC Odyssey

The rest are middling.

The Ezio trilogy story does have a special status for me because I absolutely loved the existential take that Ezio was this unfucking believable person in history, told he was the chosen, and yet he was never to be anything more than a messenger, doomed to never understand the role he played in the greater conflict or what that conflict even was.

7 hours ago, legend said:

The best AC games, IMO are:

* Ezio trilogy

* AC4: Black Flag

* AC Odyssey

The rest are middling.

The Ezio trilogy story does have a special status for me because I absolutely loved the existential take that Ezio was this unfucking believable person in history, told he was the chosen, and yet he was never to be anything more than a messenger, doomed to never understand the role he played in the greater conflict or what that conflict even was.

This is the correct ranking. Odyssey is great but the other two are SOOOO bloated and overly long with zero pay off whatsoever. 

With each AC game that Ubi releases they further enforce that they truly have no fucking clue what makes the games good and just occasionally get lucky. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Assassin's Creed Mirage (PC/Xbox/PlayStation, 05 October 2023) - update: "Launch" trailer

You sonsabitches lied to me, and so did Ubisoft! Just talked with someone who got the game early. Basically it's the RPGs but scaled back! Still has the fun skill tree shit, silly stuff like teleporting assassination, levels, etc, all just not as grindy and overwrought.

Ubisoft was over here making it sound like they were remaking AC1 or 2 or something but they were just making the game I've been wanting! Well, not so much the Baghdad setting. I find these desert locales to be ugly and boring, but the gameplay looks spot on for the most part!

This isn't a return to those shitty old games, it's just a refinement of the ones I like!

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I thought it was obvious it was still gonna have that stuff lol it’s an homage to the original but it’s not like some kinda remake 

That was not obvious in either this discussion nor any buzz I've heard about the game! All I've heard is how it's "gonna be like the old games," which is like telling me my new car is gonna be like an 87 Honda Civic!

I always thought the series was gonna move forward in time past Valhalla, maybe a medieval European setting or medieval Japan. I feel like Ubi is out of touch with what the fans wanted and this ain’t it. Not sure why one would even play this when we have AC Origins. 

My impression was always that this game was going to be using the basic template of the last few AC but with a reduced scope, more stealth and parkour focus, and a return to taking place in a large city. This is also obviously not the “next gen” AC, that is the next one.

Origins and Odyssey are 2 of my favorite games of the last 10 years. Odyssey is the only game in the series that I've beaten twice. Valhalla started out fun, but holy shit did it wear out its welcome. That game went on 20-30 hours longer than was necessary, and I'm shocked I actually lasted until the end.

If Mirage is scaled back, that's a good thing. Bigger and more bloated is definitely not the direction they needed to go after Valhalla.

Yeah, I like the RPGs far more than any of the previous games, which is why all this talk of going "back to the roots of Assassin's Creed" sounded terrible to me. But just being the RPGs set in a smaller location with less grind? Hell yeah, sounds great! I didn't mind the huge locations (because I'm not a fucking psycho trying to 100% a Ubisoft open world game) but a more natural leveling curve is definitely something anyone can appreciate.

Hope we still get to fight supernatural shit. That's another thing the RPGs did that made me like them way more. Embraced the video gaminess, the "what if" scenarios this kind of game can easily produce if they're just willing to stop being so slavishly devoted to quasi-realism.

Would be nice if the next Division game, if we get one, learns that lesson. 

10 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Basically all I want out of an AC game is a fun environment to crawl around, towers to jump off of, and people to stab. 

I feel like despite the games always having had parkour, the parkour's never been fun or interesting. This, for me, lowers the fun of the environment (especially with just dusty desert towns) so I'm hoping they've done something to make parkour, climbing and sneaking around just more fun. Where's our damn grappling hook?!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Assassin's Creed Mirage (PC/Xbox/PlayStation, 05 October 2023) - update: "The Story So Far - Timeline" video
4 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Origins and Odyssey are 2 of my favorite games of the last 10 years. Odyssey is the only game in the series that I've beaten twice. Valhalla started out fun, but holy shit did it wear out its welcome. That game went on 20-30 hours longer than was necessary, and I'm shocked I actually lasted until the end.

If Mirage is scaled back, that's a good thing. Bigger and more bloated is definitely not the direction they needed to go after Valhalla.

I did not manage to finish Valhalla :p 

I think that game's biggest mistake was how unexciting loot was. I would go out of my way to get some special armor or something, only to find it's absolute dog shit because it needs to upgraded through a long grind to match my current equipment that I could instead just invest into my current equipment.

Essentially, it felt like a massive grind and you never got anything good for the grind.

44 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Valhalla was a lot better once I started ignoring most of the open world stuff and focused on story missions 

I figured this early on and it still took me 125 hours to finish (including the dlc besides asgard) so I can’t imagine how slow it would be if you didn’t do that! 

I still liked Valhalla, each acts side story was well done and it kind of led a tv series like flow to it that mostly worked for me whereas normally that size would turn me off. But ya they need to size these back down still.

Im just torn if I try to fit it in this holiday or wait for the phone version like a total weirdo.