Assassin's Creed Mirage (PC/Xbox/PlayStation) - update: Digital Foundry PS5/Xbox Series Technical Review

Brian

4 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I wonder when/if we'll ever get a numbered AC game again and if we'll ever get simply Assassins Creed 5.

AC5 should bring back Desmond and continue that story to a better ending and eventually lead to a full modern entry that brings the war of templars vs assassins out into the open and into the modern age to settle once and for all

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

AC5 should bring back Desmond and continue that story to a better ending and eventually lead to a full modern entry that brings the war of templars vs assassins out into the open and into the modern age to settle once and for all

This, 1000% this. For as much shit as people gave the modern story, that’s a big part of what I loved about 1-3(not really 3 though). The mystery and cliff hangers in each game was fantastic and I couldn’t wait to find out more. Then they ended it the way they did and never gave us the modern game they were CLEARLY building towards. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I hope I'm not spoiling this for anyone.  Desmond is dead.  I'm not sure I want the AC Universe to turn into Marvel, where everyone who dies eventually comes back.

Assassin's Creed 3 was like 11 years ago at this point, and... (Valhalla modern day spoilers)

Spoiler

In Valhalla, you learn that Desmond's consciousness was actually absorbed or uploaded or some shit and that only his body died.

Also, since when is "everyone" coming back? I think the modern sections alone show that everyone AC protagonist has stayed dead for hundreds or thousands of years! :]

All this said, nothing about this one has looked even remotely interesting to me so far unfortunately. I just don't think the old style of AC game was actually very fun or engaging for more than a few hours. I also think that the vast majority of stealth games suck complete ass and that Assassin's Creed stealth is like bargain bin shit you get in a clearance sale, so it's bad piled on top of bad.

Personally I'd like an RPG style AC set in a dense city with some wilderness and maybe a second city of a much different style. As much as I like the RPGs, I feel like they mostly took place on flat plains between small towns, or very flat cities.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Assassin's Creed Mirage (PC/Xbox consoles/PlayStation consoles, 12 October 2023) - "A Return to the Roots" trailer
2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

This is the same board that some people used to complain about the spoiling of review scores, let alone story points in 11-year old video games. 

For me, the amount of time that has passed is irrelevant. I still discover old books, movies and games I never played and would be annoyed if someone just spoiled them for no reason. There's far too much media for the passage of time to be a meaningful reason to spoil something for no real reason.

On the other hand, I also tend to stay out of threads about games I'm not very far in weeks after launch because I reasonably assume people will start speaking more and more openly about things I might not want to hear! The "you should know about the depths by now, you're 85 hours in" effect.

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@Xbob42 I'm kinda agreeing with you here but I will give this a shot. Your description of what you want in a Assassin's Creed game are basically what I want, too. We shall see!

Hey I hope it's amazing. Any excuse to play a great or at least interesting game.

On 6/9/2023 at 2:55 PM, Xbob42 said:

For me, the amount of time that has passed is irrelevant. I still discover old books, movies and games I never played and would be annoyed if someone just spoiled them for no reason. There's far too much media for the passage of time to be a meaningful reason to spoil something for no real reason.

On the other hand, I also tend to stay out of threads about games I'm not very far in weeks after launch because I reasonably assume people will start speaking more and more openly about things I might not want to hear! The "you should know about the depths by now, you're 85 hours in" effect.

For me, Spoilers are really no big deal because I'll just forget about them shortly after.

Also, as for discovering old media. @SaysWho? remarked about this in the other thread but after a certain amount of time it's easy to dodge spoilers because no one is talking about it anymore. Who's talking about Unbreakable in 2023? No one. So it's easy to not get spoiled on that movie. :p

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

For me, Spoilers are really no big deal because I'll just forget about them shortly after.

This doesn’t work for me because I’ll always think to myself when something gets spoiled “no big deal, I’ll just forget about it shortly after” and as soon as I have that thought it cements the spoiler in my head for eternity 

Visually, Ubisoft really set the bar so high with Outlaws that everything else looks poor by comparison, but this really failed to impress on a technical level.

The gameplay on the other hand, looks mostly good. I re-played a bunch of the AC games at the beginning of the pandemic, including AC1, and I'm excited for that style of game again. I loved the idea of joining a group of people and telling them to act natural. It's a stark reminder that not every enemy NPC needs to have a perfect IFF system built in. Managing that line is really hard and I hope that Ubisoft finds a good balance.

It wouldn't make for a great trailer, but one of the things that I miss from AC 1 that it almost looked like we'd get here is "homework." For those that don't remember, the big assassination missions had optional pre-mission mini-quests that you could do that would fill out your options. One might give you the guard locations or rotations, another might give you some way to sneak in undetected, another might suggest how you could set a trap for the kill. You could often ignore all or some of it, run in, fight a bunch of guards, kill, and get out, but to me that mostly meant that there wasn't a clear failure state other than death.

I liked doing the "homework" and choosing what of it to use and what of it to ignore for any given mission. More than almost anything else, other than the parkour, it made me feel like an assassin who actually had to think through a plan, rather than just running inside and sneaking my way through a hedge maze and then a maze of rooms and then a maze of rooftops, etc.

None of what they showed precluded any of this, and the whole thing with the bird hints that other kind of planning might be necessary, but I hope it wasn't simply a bird nerf.

Overall, very much looking forward to this one.

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I will read a spoiler, not play/watch/read that thing for like 10 years, and then right in the middle of it that spoiler will just fucking start screaming in my head and I'm like "GODDAMMIT I WAS SUPPOSED TO FORGET"

• Sad 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Assassin's Creed Mirage (PC/Xbox consoles/PlayStation consoles, 12 October 2023) - "Story" and "Gameplay Walkthrough" trailers (Ubisoft Forward 2023)
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Assassin's Creed Mirage (PC/Xbox/PlayStation, 12 October 2023 - update: "Basim - The Master Assassin" trailer