Assassin's Creed Mirage (PC/Xbox/PlayStation) - update: Digital Foundry PS5/Xbox Series Technical Review

Brian

• 6 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Schrier confirms smaller, stealth-based Assassin's Creed title set in Baghdad featuring Basim, remake of the first game rumored in development
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Schrier confirms smaller, stealth-focused Assassin's Creed title set in late 9th century Baghdad featuring Basim for Spring 2023 release, remake of the first game rumored in development

I know they had to keep trying new things, especially when they were cranking out one a year for so long, but this is all I want. It’s been long enough. Give me a big old city to explore, towers to climb, piles of hay to dive into, and motherfuckers for me to stab with my sweet wrist blades. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Schreier confirms smaller, stealth-focused Assassin's Creed title set in late 9th century Baghdad featuring Basim for Spring 2023 release, remake of the first game rumored in development

This sounds lame as fuck, because old Assassin's Creed games got old really quickly and had very little depth. And we had 800 of them. Also stealth is a shitty mechanic. "Returning to basics" just doesn't have the same ring when I think the basics of the series are rotted old logs that were overloaded to begin with.

God just remembering the big lifeless cities with fuck all to do of any actual consequence and the mindless one-button combat, holy shit I hope that's not what they're going back to.

• Sicko Sherman 1

I don’t really have an interest in a back to basics Assassin’s Creed game where you play as Basim, or a remake of the first game. I’ve played enough of those style of Assassin’s Creed games already, and I personally prefer the newer big open world action RPG style of games more myself. In fact, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is probably my favorite game of all-time. I admittedly didn’t like Valhalla as much, it took itself a little too seriously by comparison and was lacking the same overall fun factor IMO. I also like Kassandra more than Eivor.

I would like another game in the series similar to Odyssey in terms of tone, design and gameplay mechanics with Kassandra as the main protagonist again that takes place in another country during a different time period, because Kassandra’s story arc from Odyssey could allow for that.

Cannot help but to have this feeling that they are doing this with one of their flagship series in hopes that the stealth equates to a market wanting this type of gameplay, in turn garnering more optimism for their next Splinter Cell. (Not at all a bad thing as I love stealth AND Splinter Cell!)

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Assassin's Creed Mirage officially announced, more info to be given at Ubisoft Forward on September 10

Even though I have enjoyed the sprawling action RPGs the series has become, I'm interested in a more focused AC game. The first is bad in many ways, but I still think it's underappreciated. It's an amazing game in many ways, and I liked the freedom it gave players. If they can maintain some of the unique charm of the first game while also giving it a good combat system and some other modern touches, I'll be happy with the remake.

For fans of the newer games (myself included), I suspect that AC Infinity will scratch that particular itch. Like many modern super-franchises, it's ok for AC to be more than one thing.

• Halal 2

I'm less interested in hearing that it's "back to basic" (basics I never liked) and more about hearing how these basics have been enhanced to not... suck? The gameplay of the non-RPG games was so limited in scope. The parkour was basically automated and the combat was dead simple. What did that leave? Some meager stealth? Why would I stealth when I could literally kill everyone without being touched? That's what back to basics means to me for AC: A game that basically plays itself and that cannot be failed outside of hardline "you got spotted, game over" style scenarios, like tailing someone.

There's plenty of potential, but I'll have to see what they bring to the table besides just regressing.

2 hours ago, Brick said:

That's an odd picture that makes it look like he's just floating above everyone's head, but they're all used to it, and just trying to ignore that crazy guy who keeps shouting he's an assassin. 

PC Gamer is in agreement with you!

The classic Assassin's Creed hooded assassin look in the teaser image is appropriate, if that's the case. It's kind of a funny scene, though: Good composition from a pure visual design perspective, but that is the least shrouded assassin ever. How is nobody looking up at the dude in the air?

5 hours ago, TwinIon said:

For fans of the newer games (myself included), I suspect that AC Infinity will scratch that particular itch.

What is Assassin’s Creed Infinity? The name makes it sound like a GaaS, or MMO game. No thanks.

5 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm less interested in hearing that it's "back to basic" (basics I never liked) and more about hearing how these basics have been enhanced to not... suck? The gameplay of the non-RPG games was so limited in scope. The parkour was basically automated and the combat was dead simple. What did that leave? Some meager stealth? Why would I stealth when I could literally kill everyone without being touched? That's what back to basics means to me for AC: A game that basically plays itself and that cannot be failed outside of hardline "you got spotted, game over" style scenarios, like tailing someone.

I somewhat agree, and that’s what Assassin’s Creed Mirage is going to be. I’ve already played ten Assassin’s Creed games exactly like this, and I’m burned out on that formula. I much prefer the more modern big open world RPG games, and I’ve only played three of them so their design formula doesn’t feel stale to me yet like the original design formula does. Also, I didn’t really care for Basim in Valhalla so I don’t have an interest in playing as him.

2 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Also, I didn’t really care for Basim in Valhalla so I don’t have an interest in playing as him.

Completely agree. I wanted a new protagonist but it is what it is. I'm looking forward to this because they are scaling it down. I'm pretty confident it will be a good game. 

32 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm looking forward to this because they are scaling it down. I'm pretty confident it will be a good game. 

I’m sure that it will be a good game, but there’s a lot of good games that I personally don’t have much of an interest in playing because I don’t like the character that you play as in them, or I’m burned out on the formula. This is both of those things for me, so I either won’t play it at all or I will when I can get it for $20 or less.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Dre801 said:

Hopefully it's a shorter more focused game.  We don't need another seemingly endless AssCreed.  Wishful thinking, I know.

If it's shorter and more focused, that's not returning "back to the basics," also who does making it shorter serve? The stories in these games are always serviceable but nothing special. We all excited to get to the "oh... that was kinda weird" twist at the end? For me the entire point of AC is to like endlessly explore for a couple hours at a time. Maybe Infinite IS for me.