Assassin's Creed Mirage (PC/Xbox/PlayStation) - update: Digital Foundry PS5/Xbox Series Technical Review

Brian

1 minute ago, nublood said:

But seriously, this looks like every other AC game that's currently available. What am I not seeing?

You're seeing what I'm seeing which seems like a re-imagination of Ass Creed 1 but more advanced I guess? I'm not really hyped at all. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I don't think I played that? We shall see around release i may get excited. 

Do you remember playing AC in Victorian London?

The gameplay/storytelling improved so much during the series -- Yes, there have been some misses.  [Revelations and Unity for me.]  But Syndicate was a huge step forward from AC1.

The AC franchise is a weird one for me. I loved the first few games, then they started to feel repetitive. But then, every time they tried to branch out (the ship-based stuff or the more recent huge open world adventure games) I also lost interest. I guess all I needed was some time off and a return to basics, because this is the first time I’ve been excited for an AC game like a decade. 

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Do you remember playing AC in Victorian London?

The gameplay/storytelling improved so much during the series -- Yes, there have been some misses.  [Revelations and Unity for me.]  But Syndicate was a huge step forward from AC1.

I don't so I'm a bit more interested now. I clearly remember playing part 1 & 2. Then I blank out a bit, Odyssey and Valhalla. But I know I'm forgetting something Ass Creed. I'm sure it will be great it's just a matter of me getting hyped for it. Too far away I guess. 

I can’t wait for this game. I enjoyed the last three giant open world games but really they’re so drastically far away from what I originally fell in love with for this series. If you jump right from Revelations to Valhalla you’d wonder why they even bothered putting the AC name on it. 

• True 1
  • Hype 1

On 7/7/2023 at 10:30 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

Reimagining of Assassin's Creed Syndicate -- which was awesome in it's day.

Was it? I remember my AC fatigue was at an all-time high when that came out and I couldn't get more than a few hours in. Then just a couple years ago I tried it again and I felt exactly the same. I think I'm permanently sick of old-style AC.

On 7/7/2023 at 10:21 AM, best3444 said:

You're seeing what I'm seeing which seems like a re-imagination of Ass Creed 1 but more advanced I guess? I'm not really hyped at all. 

On 7/7/2023 at 10:30 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

Reimagining of Assassin's Creed Syndicate -- which was awesome in it's day.

@AbsolutSurgen how is Mirage a re-imagining of Syndicate? Syndicate takes place in London during the industrial revolution, has two protagonists (Jacob and Evie Frye), is largely about gang warfare and focuses more of melee combat than stealth. I agree with @best3444 that Mirage looks like a re-imagining of the first Assassin’s Creed which is one of the worst games in the series IMO. Also, I don’t like Basim and have no interest in playing as him.

12 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Was it? I remember my AC fatigue was at an all-time high when that came out and I couldn't get more than a few hours in. Then just a couple years ago I tried it again and I felt exactly the same. I think I'm permanently sick of old-style AC.

Syndicate is one of my favorite games in the series, it’s somewhat of a departure from the games before it. It takes place in the most modern era of any of the games, has two playable protagonists and focuses more on melee combat than stealth. It has a similar design structure to the earlier games, but the feel and vibe of it is different in a lot of ways. However, I’m with you when it comes to being sick of old-style Assassin’s Creed. I much prefer the current large open world action RPG games in the series, especially Odyssey which is one of my favorite games. The next main game in the series is being made by the same team and takes place in feudal Japan, I can’t wait.

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

@AbsolutSurgen how is Mirage a re-imagining of Syndicate? Syndicate takes place in London during the industrial revolution, has two protagonists (Jacob and Evie Frye), is largely about gang warfare and focuses more of melee combat than stealth. I agree with @best3444 that Mirage looks like a re-imagining of the first Assassin’s Creed which is one of the worst games in the series IMO. Also, I don’t like Basim and have no interest in playing as him.

Syndicate is one of my favorite games in the series, it’s somewhat of a departure from the games before it. It takes place in the most modern era of any of the games, has two playable protagonists and focuses more on melee combat than stealth. It has a similar design structure to the earlier games, but the feel and vibe of it is different in a lot of ways. However, I’m with you when it comes to being sick of old-style Assassin’s Creed. I much prefer the current large open world action RPG games in the series, especially Odyssey which is one of my favorite games. The next main game in the series is being made by the same team and takes place in feudal Japan, I can’t wait.

Saw a rumor the other day due to investor reports that Red, which I believe is the Japan one by the Odyssey team, is due for next year. Better hope that pro comes out in time!

I believe @AbsolutSurgen though was more referring that the actual gameplay, not the setting, is likely to be an evolution of the last og style AC game, Syndicate, rather than dialing back the actual gameplay systems all the way to AC1 and then evolving from there.

Room for both imo, they obviously want to release a shit ton of these so better to have two types than one.

21 hours ago, stepee said:

Saw a rumor the other day due to investor reports that Red, which I believe is the Japan one by the Odyssey team, is due for next year. Better hope that pro comes out in time!

If we don’t hear anything about a PS5 Pro by next year then chances are that there’s not going to be one.

21 hours ago, stepee said:

I believe @AbsolutSurgen though was more referring that the actual gameplay, not the setting, is likely to be an evolution of the last og style AC game, Syndicate, rather than dialing back the actual gameplay systems all the way to AC1 and then evolving from there.

Room for both imo, they obviously want to release a shit ton of these so better to have two types than one.

A re-imagining of Syndicate would be more than just its gameplay mechanics, but I understand what you’re saying. There’s definitely room for two types of Assassin’s Creed games (old and new), and I might even still like the old type now if the time periods and settings were different from any of the previous games and offered the choice to play as either a male or female character like in Syndicate (Evie Frye <3), Odyssey and Valhalla. Or even just having a female main character for a change would be nice.

11 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

The original Assassin's Creed was a very basic game -- with very limited narrative components, a rinse and repeat assassination gameplay loop (my recollection is there were nine assassinations that were almost identical).

Syndicate was the last iteration of the formula with a detailed narrative, a broad selection of main and side missions.  My recollection was that the games assassinations (much like Unity) gave you a number of different ways to complete them.  I would anticipate that they are going to start from this gameplay/narrative structure, rather than going back to the original AC game and iterating from there.

18 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

:shrug: 

I never had AC fatigue.

• 2 weeks later...
assassins-creed-mirage.jpg
INSIDER-GAMING.COM

It has been revealed exactly how long it'll take players to complete Assassin's Creed Mirage - including all the side and extra content.

In an interview hosted by YouTuber Julien Chieze, it was revealed by Assassin’s Creed Mirage’s Lead Producer, Fabian Salamon, that it’ll take players on average 20 – 24 hours to complete the game. That figure increases to 25 – 30 hours for ‘completionists’, which is a clear indicator of the ‘return to form’ for the franchise.

24 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'd wait to fully see how this game turns out before making a comment like that. 

It's Ubisoft, who rigidly stick to making exactly the same game, or, on the off-chance they make a new type of game, they rigidly stick to that as well concerning future releases. Like a branching path of only making something new when they've hit a critical point of making the old thing. They have committed to making this like old AC. I literally already know exactly how it plays before I've even seen footage, I'm that confident I know Ubisoft. I don't need to wait for reviews to confirm that Ubisoft is in fact still Ubisoft.

I do not expect to be surprised.

• Sicko 1

10 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

It's Ubisoft, who rigidly stick to making exactly the same game, or, on the off-chance they make a new type of game, they rigidly stick to that as well concerning future releases. Like a branching path of only making something new when they've hit a critical point of making the old thing. They have committed to making this like old AC. I literally already know exactly how it plays before I've even seen footage, I'm that confident I know Ubisoft. I don't need to wait for reviews to confirm that Ubisoft is in fact still Ubisoft.

I do not expect to be surprised.

Similarly,I won’t be surprised by you posting every few weeks in this thread that you don’t like Ubisoft or Assassin’s Creed games. 

• Halal 1

55 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Similarly,I won’t be surprised by you posting every few weeks in this thread that you don’t like Ubisoft or Assassin’s Creed games. 

Ah, but I do like Assassin's Creed games. Just, the newer ones. Not the braindead old style ones. See, you complain about me posting my opinion but you don't even know what it is. This is why I have to keep posting it. Just for you!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Ah, but I do like Assassin's Creed games. Just, the newer ones. Not the braindead old style ones. See, you complain about me posting my opinion but you don't even know what it is. This is why I have to keep posting it. Just for you!

It’s really important that we understand the nuances of your gaming preferences. 

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It’s really important that we understand the nuances of your gaming preferences. 

Do you know what a gaming forum is? I swear some of you only post to have delusional circle-jerks. Just go join the official Reddit if you want to taste each other's splooge every time a game is talked about and quit bitching every time I post.

11 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Do you know what a gaming forum is? I swear some of you only post to have delusional circle-jerks. Just go join the official Reddit if you want to taste each other's splooge every time a game is talked about and quit bitching every time I post.

You're now bitching about my bitching about your bitching.

• Halal 2